Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you go on the M50 with a 125cc?

• 25-09-2012 3:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭

Looks like my job is moving to Liffey Valley, I live just off the M50 and it would be much quicker for me to get to new location on M50 from Ballycullen.
    Prob is I have a 125cc (full License) and don't think it is quick enough so would be too dangerous to use on M50 - there is another route but much longer and don't really want to get a bigger bike so thinking of getting a car instead. Would use M50 with such a low powered bike?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

You'll be fine. A 125 should be able to hit 60mph+.
    I have been on the M50 many times on a Suzuki GN125 in the past which was a basic enough bike and that could do upto 70mph

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Have ya seen how Irish drivers use the motorways ....:rolleyes:....there should be a min speed of 100kmph......
    You'll be grand...there'll always be someone slower than you....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

you be grand boy. Have fun .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

I have been on the N11 a couple of times and found it dodgy enough so not sure - its a 125 scooter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

To be honest it sounds like you have confidence issues on the motorbike. I have driven all over Ireland on a 125 and never had any problems. I subsequently had a basic 500 and didn't feel any better or worse confidence wise on it. The N11 can be a bit crazy but no worse than many other roads if you are confident in what you are doing.The fact that you have your full license tells me you are competent to drive it so I am not sure what the issue is here. Would you consider doing an advanced motorcycle training course?

Out of interest what kind of bike do you have?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Not a bother on a 125.

I drove 60+ miles a day on a Vespa PX200 for almost seven years on the M50.

The only problems you'll really experience is buffeting from the wind, that can get tiresome on a smaller bike but you'll soon discover where you can expect cross winds and were you can hide from the worst it.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭jsn.peters

yes,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

My NSR125 could do 110mph and burn most cars!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Pipz

I drive my 125 on the motorways all the time. Goes faster than most of the cars do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Pipz wrote: »
    I drive my 125 on the motorways all the time. Goes faster than most of the cars do.

That's just you though - you're a feckin' hooligan on that bike!! :P :D

• Advertisement

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    To be honest it sounds like you have confidence issues on the motorbike. I have driven all over Ireland on a 125 and never had any problems. I subsequently had a basic 500 and didn't feel any better or worse confidence wise on it. The N11 can be a bit crazy but no worse than many other roads if you are confident in what you are doing.The fact that you have your full license tells me you are competent to drive it so I am not sure what the issue is here. Would you consider doing an advanced motorcycle training course?

Out of interest what kind of bike do you have?

I wouldn't say I have confidence issues if anything at times I am over confident on the bike :( My commute at the moment is the to the port so flying in and out of traffic all the time sometimes too quick being doing it 10 years.
    My issue the couple fo times on N11 the few times is I would use bus lane and when moving out traffic was going much quicker on average then again I was only on a 50 cc scooter at time.
    I have a Suzuki AN125 small wheeled scooter and think more worried about cars moving at 100/120k if when I have to change lanes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

You probably won't be able to do 100kph, you'll be closer to 90 on your bike. Traffic wise I don't see a problem, just stay in the left lane (obviously not left turning lane) and don't get intimidated by traffic.
    You won't be doing much passing, but if you do, just make sure you have plenty of room. Sure you know yourself if you've been driving for that long!

In the meantime, get a bigger bike! Even if you stick to scooters, there's plenty of bigger ones that will make life more comfortable.

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/scooters/3836846

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 211 ✭✭laurpat

I've often been up and down the M50 on a slow 125cc bike. As mentioned earlier there is one or two awful areas that give awful cross winds. As for keeping up with traffic it's not an issue as you have a lot of slow traffic in the slow lanes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

My first bike was a 125 and I used to take it on the M50 back in the 2 lane days. Throttle fully open and i could get 80km/h sometimes! Speed demon I was! :cool:

Tks everyone when it happens I will give it a test run as it will be much quicker then the alternative route

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

My 125 Varadero will reach 115 kph....with perfect gearshifts....and the wind at my back....while going down hill....and me hunched over to make my body press against the tank...

But yeah, you should be grand, people can over take you if they need to after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

often have used the m50 on a rebel 125... it wouldn't pull the skin off custard..
    just stay in the slow lane and ur safe enuf..
    incidentally... if your using it on the m1 southbound avoid the airport junction. the wind (no matter how windy or still) seems to be strong there.. as if its blowing north from the tunnel or something and it will bring u to a crawl.. its not that noticeable on a bigger bike( so don't no one go....i never noticed it and I drive a blade!!) but on breathless yokes its dangerous..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭positron

I am surprised at all the comments. Riding a restricted Fazer on M1, I am fine most of the time, but sometimes some cars do overtake me, and it annoys the cr*p out of me - purely because getting used to overtaking/filtering without being overtaken... Sometimes I feel I really really got to get rid of the restriction... I have always wondered how a 250 - like the CBR250R for instance, would be on M1 commute. Based on what everyone is saying here, it should be fine right?

Oh yeah, crosswinds are a huge problem on M1 - THE main danger zone on M1 is the section where the motorway service stations are, and immediately south of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

personally wouldnt - well the cbr125r that I've taken on the m50 a few times had to be held at practically max rpm for the duration, so would feel that it would go bang if it was done regular as a commuter

Advertisement