Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help Portrait Dublin 2012

• 25-09-2012 4:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

Does anybody here know anything about this?

Theres a facebook page.... http://www.facebook.com/#!/HelpPortraitDub

After seeing Jeremy Cowart's Lifefinder DVD I was really inspired by the section on Help Portrait and was curious if anything similar had happened on these shores. I was delighted to see a facebook page for a Dublin event this year. It even has a date, December 8th on it. Ive been in contact with the guy who seems to run the page and volunteered my services, photography, post processing, whatever is needed.

I was getting a few replies back initially but now nothing, yet the page still seems to be active posting the usual facebook style inspirational quotes every now and then. Im just a bit anxious as its getting nearer the date and there appears to be no details. Ive said it to quite a few people who are more then happy to help, make up artists, other photographers etc but they all need to know details as they're quite busy themselves.

Ive tried sending a message to this effect through facebook but got no reply. Theres only 29 "likes" on the page, suggesting its not particularly busy or not being promoted, but it does seem to still be in use.

If anybody knows anything about this, or has any contact with the person/persons organising it can you let me know. Its such a nice idea, not the kind of thing Id usually do but something about this struck a chord with me and it'd be a shame to see it not come together.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

it IS 2 months away ...

What's with all those crummy motivational quotes anyway ? They could go nuts and put some actual information on the page, starting with, y'know, just what the hell help-portrait ACTUALLY IS. Millions of random quotes just make it look like at best a spam site and at worst some sort of creepy new age cult :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

I know, only for hearing about it on Jeremy Cowart's dvd I certainly wouldnt have a clue what its about from that facebook page.

I dont want to hassle the guy but it would really help to have some details on this, beyond just a date.

For anyone interested here is quick video on what they did in the states. It really struck a chord with me, and just shows what the power of a photograph can do.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

@SteveMcDonnell on twitter is doing it this year AFAIK

Yep it seems to be a guy called Steve that was answering my messages on facebook initially so I presume thats him. My last 3 messages have gone unanswered. I dont like hassling people but not answering genuine queries about volunteering is pretty bad form. Even if he started to organise it and for whatever reason couldnt see it through (I fully understand circumstances can change) then he could have simply told me. If I had a bit more time I would have gladly organised this myself. Assuming that its not going ahead, which looks entirely likely now, I'll be sure to try to get one of these organised for next year anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

Just go do something about it yourself. It's not like the guy that set up that Facebook page owns Help Portrait. And from the looks at that page, he doesn't really seem to be going anywhere with it (29 likes, even my crappy Facebook page has more than that).

I had planned to do something for it this year myself, but the studio I'm supposed to be moving into won't be ready in time :( So that's put the kibosh on my original plans for it. But, I would be interested in getting involved with something someone else is organising. I'm not sure I could offer much in the way of organisational help right now, but I could probably turn up on the day and knock out some decent portraits for a worthy cause.

• Advertisement

I would if I had time, or more the point I would if I had known 2 months ago when I first volunteered that this wasnt going to happen (hopefully Im wrong about that but its looking that way).

Even if I had the time its not just a matter of deciding to do it. You register on the worldwide site so its an official event. Then you need to find a venue, ideally get a deal on printing so you're not paying for it all out of your own pocket, organise publicity, volunteers etc etc.

Ive no doubt theres a ton that goes into it. Im also aware theres nothing to stop me or anybody doing this any time all year round but when its part of a bigger worldwide event it has a lot more weight behind it. Id have a lot better chance of trying to get a printing company to sponsor it or help out with subsidised printing if it was part of a larger event. Likewise with publicity and getting a venue.

The Help Portrait event would have been a great way to do this but it looks now like its going to go to waste until next year. For what its worth I certainly wont hesitate to organise it myself next year as Im quite annoyed over this, just an awful wasted opportunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

Oh yeah, I wasn't implying that you should (or could) just go off and do it on a whim with a few weeks to go. I started looking into it months ago myself with the intention of doing it all on my own, but then found out my studio wouldn't be ready so had to put it on the back burner this year. It was becoming fairly obvious that I was going to need a few extra hands on deck though.

I'm defo up for doing it properly next year. So maybe drop me a line sometime to discuss it. I don't think it's a one man (or even a two or three man) job to organize something like this properly, so maybe there are a few other folks here who'd like to get involved also next time around?

Yep absolutely, you're right too about it needing a good few hands to organise properly. It certainly seems like this year is a right off anyway but ill 100% be in touch about next year. I always keep an eye on Jeremy Cowarts blog, twitter etc so as soon as theres talk of a 2013 event then we can get the ball rolling. You hear it here first folks, started on boards.ie ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

@SteveMcDonnell on twitter is doing it this year AFAIK

didn't roger overall do it down in Cork last year.

Splinters wrote: »
    Yep it seems to be a guy called Steve that was answering my messages on facebook initially so I presume thats him. My last 3 messages have gone unanswered. I dont like hassling people but not answering genuine queries about volunteering is pretty bad form.

AFAIK he's only just back from hols. Met him last night so maybe that's why he didn't respond.

• Advertisement

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    didn't roger overall do it down in Cork last year.

Think so and did Padraic Deasy (Seamless) do something for it too or was that something else?

AFAIK he's only just back from hols. Met him last night so maybe that's why he didn't respond.

Hopefully thats all it is. As mentioned I dont hold much hope of this happening at this stage but if it did it would be great. Seems like there'd be a lot of work to do in 2 months if the facebook page is any indication.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

He's been working behind the scenes for a long time now and when talking to him the plan does sound good. As Denis has said he's just back from hols and was volunteering down the camera club tonight......ill point him towards this thread.
    Splinters wrote: »
    The Help Portrait event would have been a great way to do this but it looks now like its going to go to waste until next year. For what its worth I certainly wont hesitate to organise it myself next year as Im quite annoyed over this, just an awful wasted opportunity.

Rather than give out here about it would you not wait until you hear back from him and see what he has planned already?!?!

Success, just got a reply back now. Hopefully there will be a ton of new information on the facebook page in the next 2 - 3 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42 mcdonnells

Just to update the naysayers.

The event went ahead with Merchants Quay Ireland yesterday and it was a great event for all. We managed to deliver nearly 50 retouched and mounted images to the clients of the service.
    We had a great team of photographers and the folks at MQI did a sterling job with the organising of the subjects.
    Already planning more events during 2013 and the main event next December.

Simply put, it happened, It was great, it will be happening again.

Can I respectfully suggest that we all think a bit longer before going on online.
    This is the type of toxic behaviour that turns some getting involved in great ventures. It's for this reason that there was no point in posting until now.
    Put the efforts to doing good, get involved in an event, volunteer to do something more than "just turn up" and you never know what might happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

Well done to all involved I hear it was fantastic, sorry I couldn't make it. Ill be there next year to help out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭EyeBlinks

mcdonnells wrote: »
    Just to update the naysayers.

The event went ahead with Merchants Quay Ireland yesterday and it was a great event for all. We managed to deliver nearly 50 retouched and mounted images to the clients of the service.
    We had a great team of photographers and the folks at MQI did a sterling job with the organising of the subjects.
    Already planning more events during 2013 and the main event next December.

Simply put, it happened, It was great, it will be happening again.

Can I respectfully suggest that we all think a bit longer before going on online.
    This is the type of toxic behaviour that turns some getting involved in great ventures. It's for this reason that there was no point in posting until now.
    Put the efforts to doing good, get involved in an event, volunteer to do something more than "just turn up" and you never know what might happen.

Expressed a strong interest at the outset and heard nothing since. Ah well!

Glad to hear it went ahead and was a success though.

Advertisement