Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Gate advice

Options
  • 25-09-2012 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

I need to get my existing gate made electric as soon as possible before my nearly 2 year old ends up escaping again. Who knew a 2 year old could run so fast. Anyway, I priced getting this done a few years ago and it was €2100 and way more than I was prepared to pay. I didn't expect in these recession times that they would have gotten more expensive.

Every guy I have had out to the house will only fit their own equipment and they tell me every other kit I find in Ireland or the UK is rubbish and they wont fit it. I would really like some advice from anybody who has gone down the route of supplying their own motors etc and what is good or bad. Also, anybody know of any good honest installers in Galway/Limerick area.

Its very annoying. I know these guys want to earn a living but when you see how much these kits sell for and hot much they are charging there is most certainly a disconnect. I am very happy to pay a fair price for anything but I feel like I am getting riped off with these quotes.

Thanks in advance for any advice or tips.

Edit, just got a quote of €3200 and this guy tried to scare me into it by saying that it was the only system that is HSE approved and that if somebody is trying to break into my house with other systems they can just push against them to open them and on windy days like today you wont be able to open them and they all stop working after 12 months. Seriously, like there must be laws around spouting this sort of rubbish!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭cannonballer

you could get a self install kit one.

But i think you would be doing well to get a good one installed professionally for less than 2k.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Kaskade

But i think you would be doing well to get a good one installed professionally for less than 2k.

That's where I'm struggling with the pricing discrepancy. I find it hard to find a kit online for much more than €1000 and its only 1.5 days labour. In this day and age I don't know of anyone who can be expecting €500+ per day for that sort of a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Kaskade wrote: »
    I need to get my existing gate made electric as soon as possible before my nearly 2 year old ends up escaping again. Who knew a 2 year old could run so fast. Anyway, I priced getting this done a few years ago and it was €2100 and way more than I was prepared to pay. I didn't expect in these recession times that they would have gotten more expensive.

Every guy I have had out to the house will only fit their own equipment and they tell me every other kit I find in Ireland or the UK is rubbish and they wont fit it. I would really like some advice from anybody who has gone down the route of supplying their own motors etc and what is good or bad. Also, anybody know of any good honest installers in Galway/Limerick area.

Its very annoying. I know these guys want to earn a living but when you see how much these kits sell for and hot much they are charging there is most certainly a disconnect. I am very happy to pay a fair price for anything but I feel like I am getting riped off with these quotes.

Thanks in advance for any advice or tips.

Edit, just got a quote of €3200 and this guy tried to scare me into it by saying that it was the only system that is HSE approved and that if somebody is trying to break into my house with other systems they can just push against them to open them and on windy days like today you wont be able to open them and they all stop working after 12 months. Seriously, like there must be laws around spouting this sort of rubbish!

Any reputable company will not install kit that they are not familiar with, this in my opinion is asking for trouble.
    In the long term you will not save any money by going down this route

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭enricoh

hi, i bought a quiko kit online, with rams not the underground type and am very happy with it. its italian made, the chinese stuff on ebay is hit and miss i was told. theres an irish website but i got a relative up north to get me one from uk as it was a good bit cheaper.
    eventually got a guy to fit it, he spent the full day saturday fitting it and gave him 250. get the 2 cables out to the gate and the electrical to the fuse box it'll save a few hours. kit cost me guts of 600, cost me 850 all together. u'll need to buy intercom if u want 1 about 100 on ebay.
    had two guys out and cheapest was 2100, and when i asked would he fit a kit i bought the reaction was unreal! there was good instructions with kit but i've no patience for elec. work so i got a guy in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Www.autogates.ie
    Www.gatesauto.ie
    Prices are in euros and pounds :-)
    Stay clear of anyone trying to knock other brands .
    Proteco
    DITEC
    Faac
    BFT
    Fadini
    Lift master
    Theses would be the most popular kits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Charlie62

What is the Guy supplying for 3k.. ? Is his company registered and has he insurance .When you say he spoke about HSE are you sure as i think he may be talking about HSA . You can check their web site and see whats the recommendation for gate safety ! Also Chech HSE.co.uk that'sthe uk site for gate safety . I had 2 systems installed since 2004 they broke my heart , all sorts of problems , then i got a quote for an in ground system which has all stainless steel unit in the motor which is then submerged in oil so it works like an engine of a car , the guy called to my house and showed me the internal of the motor, its fitted since jan 2010 no probs since, also he fitted 2 sets of sensor beams outside and inside my gates . I also have small children and was conserned about my fully cladded gate opening back in to my yard, as my lads would be playing and have toys and themsels at the back of the gate . So the guy fitted safety edges at the back , they automatically stop the gate if the leaf comes in contact with a person or object . You should consider same . So see what he is offering .Oh i spend about €3600 and i think it was well spent .I also got a 6 year guarantee . That's hard to beat .

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Kaskade

he said HSE for sure. He was just filling me full of rubbish trying to make me thing there was something special about his system and that other systems would be safe for my kids. Cowboy I suspect.

Anyway, thanks for the tip on the oil. I had seen them but wasn't sure what it was about. I will defo go with one of them. I have a guy coming on Friday who seems to be a bit more transparent with the pricing so all going well I will get sorted then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

24v systems have built in obstacle detection meaning they reverse when they hit of something :) overground systems are easier to install and maintain and are less expensive then underground systems which need proper drainage in order to last.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Charlie62 wrote: »
    What is the Guy supplying for 3k.. ? Is his company registered and has he insurance .When you say he spoke about HSE are you sure as i think he may be talking about HSA . You can check their web site and see whats the recommendation for gate safety ! Also Chech HSE.co.uk that'sthe uk site for gate safety . I had 2 systems installed since 2004 they broke my heart , all sorts of problems , then i got a quote for an in ground system which has all stainless steel unit in the motor which is then submerged in oil so it works like an engine of a car , the guy called to my house and showed me the internal of the motor, its fitted since jan 2010 no probs since, also he fitted 2 sets of sensor beams outside and inside my gates . I also have small children and was conserned about my fully cladded gate opening back in to my yard, as my lads would be playing and have toys and themsels at the back of the gate . So the guy fitted safety edges at the back , they automatically stop the gate if the leaf comes in contact with a person or object . You should consider same . So see what he is offering .Oh i spend about €3600 and i think it was well spent .I also got a 6 year guarantee . That's hard to beat .

All it will take is an accident, a High court case, compensation and then the insurance companies will be in on this. There were 2 children killed by automatic gates in the UK over the last 2 years, as I discovered on a safety training course organised by Came.
    Please for your own sake, choose a reputable company, ensure you are getting the correct equipment for the gates and believe me, safety is everything.
    Being honest though, I have spent the last 15 years on auto gates, the old saying of 'you pay for what you get' applies, end of.

Advertisement