Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making Dog Toys

• 25-09-2012 4:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭

Hi everyone.

Im wondering if any of you guys have any interesting ideas for dog toys I could make. I have a 4 month old pug who is teething at the moment and has loads of energy.

I feel bad if I ever have to leave her alone and try to rotate her toys on different days so she always has something new to play with.

Shes loving tearing up toilet roll/kitchen roll tubes at the moment.

Can anyone recommend any safe kind of toys I could put together myself?

Little plastic bottles with gravel inside are great but I wouldnt leave her unattended with it :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

You could try freezing a tea towel or chunks of veg, they are great for soothing a teething pups gums :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭Papillon!

You could try freezing a tea towel or chunks of veg, they are great for soothing a teething pups gums :)

good idea about the veg too. pugs are sooo food driven so that would entertain her and help her mouth :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Big plastic bottles, although you know yourself supervision is important. Our Papillon loved to play with a large plastic bottle with some of his food in it (not treats just is regular dry food taken from his dish) he still likes to play with empty bottles, he wasn't a big chewer (once he got over his teething) so he'd spend ages knocking the bottle around and the food took a while to come out because the larger bottle had a smaller neck.

You know those vending machine things for kids with the balls in them or some have toys..a lot of the balls are sponge so no good but we got a sponge bob ball from one with no sponge in it it's just plastic no squeek in it or anything and he loves it, it's lasted years but haven't been able to find the same since. So many of them are sponge inside so they're no use really.

Can't go wrong with a few kong toys as well or those white filled bones you can get, there's not much filling in them or you can scoop it out but they're not as easy to splinter as some bones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 BrunoCert

Toys that can’t be ripped apart would be good idea to make! Every toy I end up buying gets destroyed, either soaked and can’t be clean or just takes a beating from so much wear and tear in a few month!

Also, don’t put in a squeaky noise item (you know when you squeeze the top it squeaks). At times the noise can sound like certain baby animals, which in turn confuses the dog when there really is a baby animal around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I used to freeze a butter tub full of veg, water and some dry food, great for chewing/gnawing on. My friend has a lab so used a bigger tub, thing a 1ltr ice cream one, so I'm sure you can find something his size.
    Too small and they are gone too quick, to big and they melt all over floor.

I used this as a meal substitute, but don't give it near sofa or on floor with under floor heating;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

mymo wrote: »
    I used to freeze a butter tub full of veg, water and some dry food, great for chewing/gnawing on. My friend has a lab so used a bigger tub, thing a 1ltr ice cream one, so I'm sure you can find something his size.
    Too small and they are gone too quick, to big and they melt all over floor.

I used this as a meal substitute, but don't give it near sofa or on floor with under floor heating;)

Hi, what type of veg do you use, is it raw or do you cook it first before freezing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Left overs from dinner usually, carrot, peas, beans, broccoli, turnip etc, also use left over rice and spud, even pasta and noodles.
    I just avoid anything salty, mine love curry and spicey food, most stuff freezes well.
    When the little dog was small I gave frozen broccoli straight from the packet, both love it and will fight over it (not vicious more play and wrestle), they normally don't even fight over a piece of meat!

Advertisement