Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

the Qatar WC in winter

• 25-09-2012 5:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭

So no surprise here, I even think it was mooted shortly after Qatar was awarded the 2022 World Cup that there was the possibility to move it to winter.

But who cares, as long as the gravy train continues for all those involved
    It would be staged on the moon if the man in the moon could pony up the cash

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soccer/2012/0925/1224324409100.html
    Platini wants winter World Cup

Uefa president Michel Platini

Soccer: Uefa president Michel Platini is determined to stage the World Cup during the European winter for the first time at the 2022 tournament in Qatar. The move would require all major European Leagues to take a month-long winter break, including England's Premier League which has no mid-season break at all.
    "I hope it will be held in winter," the Frenchman told the London Evening Standard today. "We have to go to Qatar when it is good for everybody to participate. What is better for the fans?"
    Platini believes there is enough time to work out how to organise the domestic leagues around a winter World Cup. "In 10 years we can manage to decide how we can postpone the season for one month," he added.
    "January is difficult for the World Cup because you have the Winter Olympic Games. If we stop from November 2nd to December 20th, it means, instead of finishing in May, we stop in June. It is not a big problem. It is for the good of the World Cup, the most important competition in the world."
    Platini voted for Qatar to get the 2022 World Cup in preference to England and was also in favour of Russia being awarded the 2018 tournament. "I voted for Qatar because it was time to go to a country in that part of the world," he said. "They bid five times."
    He also denied voting for Qatar after being told to do so by former France president Nicolas Sarkozy. "I tell you one thing immediately," Platini said. "One day I was invited to dinner by Sarkozy where there was the Prime Minister of Qatar. Mr Sarkozy never asked me during the dinner to vote for Qatar. They invited me to the dinner but they know I will be independent, that I will vote for who I want."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

If the footballing world really cares, they'll boycott it and it won't happen again. If people accept it then they better learn to live with this kind of thIng in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

UEFA President is your first clue that he is not the final decision-maker.

A winter tournament suits my football calendar though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭RayCon

2022 Leaving Cert students will be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

CSF wrote: »
    If the footballing world really cares, they'll boycott it and it won't happen again. If people accept it then they better learn to live with this kind of thIng in the future.

Easier said than done, what if the 2022 WC is the next tournament Ireland qualify for? Or if there's other nations in it that don't often qualify for a World Cup? Difficult to complain about those fans attending. That said I agree with what you say. The Qatar World Cup will be a shambles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

He also denied voting for Qatar after being told to do so by former France president Nicolas Sarkozy. "I tell you one thing immediately," Platini said. "One day I was invited to dinner by Sarkozy where there was the Prime Minister of Qatar. Mr Sarkozy never asked me during the dinner to vote for Qatar. They invited me to the dinner but they know I will be independent, that I will vote for who I want."

2f31_109.jpg

Jay: How can you vote for Burns' movie?
    Krusty: Let's just say ..... it moved me...to a bigger house! ( Oops, I said the quiet part loud and the loud part quiet. )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

It's being mooted for winter to suit LoI players. :cool:

Open to gags about them watching it on tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

CSF wrote: »

Easier said than done, what if the 2022 WC is the next tournament Ireland qualify for? Or if there's other nations in it that don't often qualify for a World Cup? Difficult to complain about those fans attending. That said I agree with what you say. The Qatar World Cup will be a shambles.
    If 2022 was to be boycotted it'd need to be boycotted from the beginning of the qualification stage onwards. If the footballing public chooses to eat ****e when it's served to them, they shouldn't be so silly as to expect steak for their next meal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Great for Irish football fans too. We are on our break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Farcical decision; I barely consider the place to be a proper country let alone one deserving to host the World Cup. No doubt the brown envelope stories will emerge over the next 10 years, but it'll be too late to do anything about it at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

latenia wrote: »
    Farcical decision; I barely consider the place to be a proper country let alone one deserving to host the World Cup. No doubt the brown envelope stories will emerge over the next 10 years, but it'll be too late to do anything about it at that stage.

To be fair it is a 'proper' country, full of human rights abuses but still a country in its own right.

Doubt it would be moved to winter, but tbh I don't mind the idea. The fact is that if the World Cup wants to be going all over the world that weather conditions might be preferable in certain countries during the Winter season. Then again I say that with a lot of apathy, can understand why you wouldn't want it to go ahead.

• Advertisement

Interestingly Qatar won't even be using 12 cities for their 12 stadia. There'll be only seven locations. Of those only two even have what I'd consider city sized populations (Doha and Al Rayyan). Doha is using SIX venues.

Four other 'cities' are only in the 25-35k population, meaning they're getting stadia that could house their entire towns current population. Finally and best of all is Lusail (effectively just a suburb of Doha) which is a planned city so technically isn't even built yet)! This is where the opening game and final is being played. :eek:

I thought the FAI were taking the piss when they brought the UEFA delegation to an empty field during our Euro 2008 bid. Seems now you can even offer non-existent stadiums in cities that don't even exist yet either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

FFS!

Every two years we get a bonus summer of football to tide us over until the start of a new fresh season. I'll not stand for this blasphemy dammit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

i wonder what the difference in temp is between a qatari summer and a qatari winter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I would begrudging admit I would like to see the WC in Winter but would be against it just because its FIFA.

I wouldnt be surprised if the World Cup is gone by 2022. How long do the national associations really expect to get employees from large football clubs, free of charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

i wonder what the difference in temp is between a qatari summer and a qatari winter?

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/reports/climate/Qatar.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

Anyone that doesn't like being reminded that Football is a Global sport have taken a bad, bad beating over the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I remember Qatar in Fifa 94 on the megadrive ,they were stone useless,a laughing stock.All the players had 2 left feet .
    Who would have thought they would be hosting the World Cup 30 years later .
    If you had predicted that in 94 you'd have been locked up in a padded room.

kitakyushu wrote: »
    Interestingly Qatar won't even be using 12 cities for their 12 stadia. There'll be only seven locations. Of those only two even have what I'd consider city sized populations (Doha and Al Rayyan). Doha is using SIX venues.

Four other 'cities' are only in the 25-35k population, meaning they're getting stadia that could house their entire towns current population. Finally and best of all is Lusail (effectively just a suburb of Doha) which is a planned city so technically isn't even built yet)! This is where the opening game and final is being played. :eek:

I thought the FAI were taking the piss when they brought the UEFA delegation to an empty field during our Euro 2008 bid. Seems now you can even offer non-existent stadiums in cities that don't even exist yet either.

As far as I'm aware most of the stadiums that are getting built are actually going to be taken down after the tournament, makes sense considering what you've said. They'll probably go to Ikea for some flatpack football arenas

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

I remember Qatar in Fifa 94 on the megadrive ,they were stone useless,a laughing stock.All the players had 2 left feet .
    Who would have thought they would be hosting the World Cup 30 years later .
    If you had predicted that in 94 you'd have been locked up in a padded room.

Their team is probably still as bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Platini just releasing a snippet to gauge reactions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

What is better for the fans?
    Yeah. Like you give a fuck, M. Platini. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Wonder how the European leagues will react to the prospect of taking at least 6 weeks off in order to accommodate this shambles. Its not too bad for leagues that have a winter break, but the prospect of a winter break will hardly please the Premier League in England and the FA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

TaosHum wrote: »
    Wonder how the European leagues will react to the prospect of taking at least 6 weeks off in order to accommodate this shambles. Its not too bad for leagues that have a winter break, but the prospect of a winter break will hardly please the Premier League in England and the FA.

Not just that. What about the lower leagues, Serie B, Segunda, Bundesliga 2 etc do they carry on? If not, how are they suppose to survive. The LOI have it bad enough with a 1 week break. Imagine clubs in League 1 and 2 that have to take 6 weeks off with no income. They would have to rearrange the FA Cup and the likes as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

karma_ wrote: »
    FFS!

Every two years year we get a bonus summer of football to tide us over until the start of a new fresh EPL season. I'll not stand for this blasphemy on the terraces though dammit!

Had to be done ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Imagine clubs in League 1 and 2 that have to take 6 weeks off with no income. They would have to rearrange the FA Cup and the likes as well.
    Leagues 1 & 2 always carry on as normal during international breaks so I don't see how a winter WC would affect them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The Qatar bid for the world cup was such a long shot because it did not meet what most people regarded as standard criteria for hosting such an event

- Large local population so that games would be well attended without the travelling support.

- Wide distribution of grounds around the hosts to give geographical spread, also helps logistical for police etc not to have multipler matches in the same city in quick succession

- Reasonable weather for attending and participating in the event.

Those criteria may not have been set in stone but they were quiet reasonable had merit

But the Qatar win tore up the whole script, and now the likes of Platini are having to suggest workarounds for the mess, and dress them up as being advantageous to the sport and supporters, which they are not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I dont really care what time of year it takes place. If it happens during the winter, the seasons can start a little earlier, finish a little later and do without at least one or two of the International breaks. Not sure why people are making it seem like they are trying to reinvent the wheel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

This is nonsense, Ferguson would never let it happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Very little gargle either for the best fans in the world

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Owen_S wrote: »
    This is nonsense, Ferguson would never let it happen.

He'll be 90 by then, defo living on Fergie Time..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Does this mean the gays will be allowed attend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

keano_afc wrote: »
    Does this mean the gays will be allowed attend?
    Never mind them, the animal lovers will be allowed attend too!

Just thinking about it I wouldn't mind watching a World Cup over the Xmas Holidays. It'd be fairly novel. However I'm guessing they're thinking January-time for this tournament (ala World Club Cup finals) which doesn't really interest me as much (or even at all tbh).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Not a hope that they could pull off a winter break long enough to cater for the World Cup

They would need 6 weeks just for the WC schedule and then possibly 2 to 4 weeks in the run up for countries to get enough time together beforehand. That's not including any time that might be needed afterwards for players to come back / rest etc.

Having the WC mid-season would be a disaster for most FAs - no league at the moment takes a winter break long enough to accommodate this.

The only way it could happen would be if they restructured 3 seasons so they could end 2022 before the WC kicked off and start the next season in spring 2023

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I don't think the big rich clubs like Crystal Palace and Bournemouth would let this happen in 2022!

• Advertisement

Just thinking about it I wouldn't mind watching a World Cup over the Xmas Holidays. It'd be fairly novel. However I'm guessing they're thinking January-time for this tournament (ala World Club Cup finals) which doesn't really interest me as much (or even at all tbh).

Think it's been suggested taking the break during November leading up till just before Christmas.

It can't go ahead in the summer due to 50 degree heat.

However having it in winter will play havoc with European leagues for years.

What a joke Fifa / uefa are.

I really hope this plan fails and it goes to someone else.

rarnes1 wrote: »

When Qatar made the bid they did so with all these promises that their stadia would be climate controlled to bring the temps and humidity down to tolerable levels. As I understand it that is now turning out to be a terrifically expensive undertaking and only now they want to move the goalposts rather than deliver on their promises.

This whole bid seems to be a joke from start to finish. It's still 10 years off and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they have the bid taken off them in plenty of time (as happened with Colombia - the original hosts for 1986).

When Qatar made the bid they did so with all these promises that their stadia would be climate controlled to bring the temps and humidity down to tolerable levels. As I understand it that is now turning out to be a terrifically expensive undertaking and only now they want to move the goalposts rather than deliver on their promises.

This whole bid seems to be a joke from start to finish. It's still 10 years off and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they have the bid taken off them in plenty of time (as happened with Colombia - the original hosts for 1986).

Climate control the stadia, fair enough.

What about the hundreds of thousands of fans actually in the country for the duration of the WC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doha_bid_for_the_2020_Summer_Olympics
    On August 7, 2008, Sheikh Tamim Bin Hamad Al Thani, the Heir Apparent of Qatar, revealed that the Qatar will bid for the 2020 Games. Sheikh Tamim, who is also the chairman of the Qatar Olympic Committee, said that Qatar was determined to learn from the lessons of its failed 2016 bid, and "bid for hosting the Olympic Games in 2020 as per set measures and standards." Doha bid to host the 2016 Summer Olympics but failed to become a candidate. The IOC cited technical reasons for its rejection of the bid, including Doha's insistence on holding the Games in October, because of the too hot weather in August. The 2016 Games were ultimately awarded to Rio de Janeiro. Doha's 2020 bid was their second bid. Doha asked the IOC if they could organize the games in autumn rather than the summer months due to Qatar's extremely hot weather during the summer On 26 August 2011 the IOC and the Qatar bid team held talks about their plan.[5] The IOC gave Doha permission to host the games outside of the traditional timeframe. Thus Doha then made their bid official.

Doha's Olympic bid proposes hosting the games outside of the traditional summer period for the games (July 15-August 31) and opts to host the games between September and October. This would be done to avoid the very hot weather Doha experiences during the summer months. Qatar was awarded the right to host the 2022 FIFA World Cup on December 2, 2010. Several of the stadiums for the World Cup will be located in Doha. Doha hosted the 2006 Asian Games, 2011 Pan Arab Games and hosted multiple matches of the 2011 AFC Asian Cup.

Upon being accepted as an Applicant City, the IOC has asked Doha to take several steps to ensure the health of athletes should Doha be selected as host city. The IOC will publish a list of events which must take place in the morning or late afternoon if Doha hosts. This is due to the heat that the city experiences. The IOC has assured that these changes will not negatively affect the organization of the games or the international broadcasts of the games. The IOC also wants to see that Doha has a plan to protect the health of the public who are in attendance and the staff that would help out at the games. IOC President Jacques Rogge said that no outdoor sports would be able to take place between 10 am and 6 am due to the heat. The IOC consulted its own medical experts and International Federations in regard to Qatar's heat. They agreed that outdoor sports would need to take place in the early morning and evening. These events would need to take place before and after this time frame. The IOC is determining to see how logistically possible this is in terms of broadcasting.

In January 2012, the Doha 2020 delegation went to Innsbruck for the 2012 Winter Youth Olympics and stated the support for the games.

In April 2012, Doha's Olympic bid received a boost when the city was awarded the 2014 FINA World Swimming Championships. Later that month Doha was also awarded the 2012 World Squash Championships.

Outlook, conclusion and future

Doha failed to become a Candidate City when the IOC selected candidate cities on May 23, 2012. Doha has vowed to bid again for the 2024 Summer Olympics.

IMO it was mad to give Qatar the 2022 world cup :mad:

• Advertisement

mikeym wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doha_bid_for_the_2020_Summer_Olympics
    On August 7, 2008, Sheikh Tamim Bin Hamad Al Thani, the Heir Apparent of Qatar, revealed that the Qatar will bid for the 2020 Games. Sheikh Tamim, who is also the chairman of the Qatar Olympic Committee, said that Qatar was determined to learn from the lessons of its failed 2016 bid, and "bid for hosting the Olympic Games in 2020 as per set measures and standards." Doha bid to host the 2016 Summer Olympics but failed to become a candidate. The IOC cited technical reasons for its rejection of the bid, including Doha's insistence on holding the Games in October, because of the too hot weather in August. The 2016 Games were ultimately awarded to Rio de Janeiro. Doha's 2020 bid was their second bid. Doha asked the IOC if they could organize the games in autumn rather than the summer months due to Qatar's extremely hot weather during the summer On 26 August 2011 the IOC and the Qatar bid team held talks about their plan.[5] The IOC gave Doha permission to host the games outside of the traditional timeframe. Thus Doha then made their bid official.

Doha's Olympic bid proposes hosting the games outside of the traditional summer period for the games (July 15-August 31) and opts to host the games between September and October. This would be done to avoid the very hot weather Doha experiences during the summer months. Qatar was awarded the right to host the 2022 FIFA World Cup on December 2, 2010. Several of the stadiums for the World Cup will be located in Doha. Doha hosted the 2006 Asian Games, 2011 Pan Arab Games and hosted multiple matches of the 2011 AFC Asian Cup.

Upon being accepted as an Applicant City, the IOC has asked Doha to take several steps to ensure the health of athletes should Doha be selected as host city. The IOC will publish a list of events which must take place in the morning or late afternoon if Doha hosts. This is due to the heat that the city experiences. The IOC has assured that these changes will not negatively affect the organization of the games or the international broadcasts of the games. The IOC also wants to see that Doha has a plan to protect the health of the public who are in attendance and the staff that would help out at the games. IOC President Jacques Rogge said that no outdoor sports would be able to take place between 10 am and 6 am due to the heat. The IOC consulted its own medical experts and International Federations in regard to Qatar's heat. They agreed that outdoor sports would need to take place in the early morning and evening. These events would need to take place before and after this time frame. The IOC is determining to see how logistically possible this is in terms of broadcasting.

In January 2012, the Doha 2020 delegation went to Innsbruck for the 2012 Winter Youth Olympics and stated the support for the games.

In April 2012, Doha's Olympic bid received a boost when the city was awarded the 2014 FINA World Swimming Championships. Later that month Doha was also awarded the 2012 World Squash Championships.

Outlook, conclusion and future

Doha failed to become a Candidate City when the IOC selected candidate cities on May 23, 2012. Doha has vowed to bid again for the 2024 Summer Olympics.

IMO it was mad to give Qatar the 2022 world cup :mad:

No logic was applied.

Money talks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

What about the hundreds of thousands of fans actually in the country for the duration of the WC?

Air conditioned hotel room. Simple.

Whenever I've gone away to hot places (granted not as hot as Qatar), it's only taken a few hours to get used to it. Provided people stay hydrated, the vast majority will adjust in a day or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Yep, and when it happens it will transpire that all brown envelopes are non refundable.

gnfnrhead wrote: »

Air conditioned hotel room. Simple.

Whenever I've gone away to hot places (granted not as hot as Qatar), it's only taken a few hours to get used to it. Provided people stay hydrated, the vast majority will adjust in a day or two.

A good selling point to punters. Come to our country but you must stay indoors.

I've been in places with over 40 degrees, as have many here. It's crazy weather and would just keep people away.

They can't and won't have it in the summer, no chance.

I read something from a guy who had worked in Qatar for 6 months or something and he said that during the day the only option he had was to sit in a hotel lobby type of place because the heat was so unbearable and there was so little to do. It doesn't sound like the type of conditions that people would just get used to in a couple of days. There's no way should the tournament take place in Qatar but I am kind of looking forward to seeing what a ridiculous disaster it's going to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

Definitely should have been between the USA or Australia. Hopefully Qatar get the bid taken off them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I think a winter world cup will be fantastic! Fairplay to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Definitely should have been between the USA or Australia. Hopefully Qatar get the bid taken off them.

The USA is the type of place that could host it at very short notice.

No doubt FIFA will insist on some sort of 'expression of interest' fee from anyone who does respond positively if they are approached about taking on the 2022 event..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,080 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Was WC94 not flippin scorchio too? I remember hearing games played in 110F heat during commentaries. Just ask Stan, who kept a baseball cap on right up to kickoff, it was that hot.

Also heard yesterday that the next WC in Brazil may have games kicking off at 3am here. Hope this isn't true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

NIMAN wrote: »
    Was WC94 not flippin scorchio too? I remember hearing games played in 110F heat during commentaries. Just ask Stan, who kept a baseball cap on right up to kickoff, it was that hot.

Also heard yesterday that the next WC in Brazil may have games kicking off at 3am here. Hope this isn't true.

Midnight irish time is generally the latest kick off time from what I can see, with just one game in Manaus taking place later than this for some reason.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_FIFA_World_Cup#Group_stage
    The vast majority of games will be on pre midnight.

South American World Cups with their midnight games are the best thing in football btw, I canna wait.

• Advertisement
Advertisement