Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are some religions madder than others?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Some religions' mothers are madder than other religions' mothers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

At least with Judaism, Christianity, Islam a lot of the text are based around places, times and even people who we know factually existed.
    Its the scientology and even LDS stuff which far more ridiculous.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

iguana wrote: »
    With Mormonism we can follow it's evolution
    Don't you mean Intelligent Design ? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

At least with Judaism, Christianity, Islam a lot of the text are based around places, times and even people who we know factually existed.

Hubbard (key person in Scientology) 'factually' existed as did LDS' Joseph Smith. While there are many factual persons in the Bible and the Koran, there are a lot of people mentioned whom we don't have verifiable proof that they existed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Hubbard (key person in Scientology) 'factually' existed as did LDS' Joseph Smith. While there are many factual persons in the Bible and the Koran, there are a lot of people mentioned whom we don't have verifiable proof that they existed.
    I stand by my point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    How can you believe in a religion that is based on all humans originating from a couple who only had sons ??

Easy. The sons were motherf**kers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I think the better question to get into is why do you and others find Christianity unconvincing?

For the record - I think atheism particularly the post-2006 form that is among us is fairly mad in comparison to many religions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

They are all passed the logical threshold but some are definitely madder than others. It's not about comparing mythologies as much as comparing cultures and modern teachings. Some religions are more modern than others in this respect and religions will and do adapt views, usually behind time. Catholicism is being dragged into the last century right about now. Islam is well behind that and far more mad and poisonous than most of its contemporaries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

philologos wrote: »
    I think the better question to get into is why do you and others find Christianity unconvincing.

For the record - I think atheism particularly the post-2006 form that is among us is fairly mad in comparison to many religions?

Great, another opportunity for you to witness or give testimony or whatever the Christian groups call it.

Let's just say I'm not entirely convinced that a bloke who died a couple of thousand years ago came back to life, and before dying performed a heck of a lot of magic tricks, sorry 'miracles'. And the book upon which Christianity is founded has a few....inconsistencies, plus advocating rape, the killing of children and an inferior role of women. So what's to like? BTW, Philogos, you don't have to try to convert me, I'm happy in my atheism, really and truely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

For the record - I think atheism particularly the post-2006 form that is among us is fairly mad in comparison to many religions.
    Ah yes, the great schism and atheist reformation of 2006! I remember it wel....actually what the fcuk are you talking about??:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I think the better question to get into is why do you and others find Christianity unconvincing?

Can we just skip the tedious bits where you evangelise at people who aren't interested and jump straight to the part where you disappear after people ask you to back up your crazy statements until you think people have forgotten you? It'll save everyone a lot of time and irritation, yourself included.

lazygal wrote: »
    I think the better question to get into is why do you and others find Christianity unconvincing.

For the record - I think atheism particularly the post-2006 form that is among us is fairly mad in comparison to many religions?

Great, another opportunity for you to witness or give testimony or whatever the Christian groups call it.

Let's just say I'm not entirely convinced that a bloke who died a couple of thousand years ago came back to life, and before dying performed a heck of a lot of magic tricks, sorry 'miracles'. And the book upon which Christianity is founded has a few....inconsistencies, plus advocating rape, the killing of children and an inferior role of women. So what's to like? BTW, Philogos, you don't have to try to convert me, I'm happy in my atheism, really and truely.
    Most of the atheists have many opportunities to witness on boards.ie, I just seek to give a Christian perspective.

The Bible doesn't advocate rape, now does it advocate slaughtering children. The Bible does make clear that life is God's its his to give and his to take away. As a result of Jesus coming into the world we no longer have to face condemnation, but if we repent we receive eternal life in His name.

Let me know what you think anyway, oh and it isn't about happiness its about truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

fryup wrote: »
    yes some are nuttier than others.........

Didn't over a Million go to see the Pope in Ireland? Iran has over 10 times the population!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Most of the atheists have many opportunities to witness on boards.ie, I just seek to give a Christian perspective.

The Bible doesn't advocate rape, now does it advocate slaughtering children. The Bible does make clear that life is God's its his to give and his to take away. As a result of Jesus coming into the world we no longer have to face condemnation, but if we repent we receive eternal life in His name.

Let me know what you think anyway, oh and it isn't about happiness its about truth.

What about the bits where God orders the killing of people then? And I fail to see why one book written from multiple sources many, many centuries ago is more truthful than any other written since then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

The Bible doesn't advocate rape, nor does it advocate slaughtering children.

No?

Must be a different bible you have read:

* http://imageshack.us/a/img26/4738/068godcommandingrape.jpg

* http://imageshack.us/a/img201/3709/034whenthebiblesaysitso.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

lazygal wrote: »
    What about the bits where God orders the killing of people then? And I fail to see why one book written from multiple sources many, many centuries ago is more truthful than any other written since then.

the bible is true because it says its true, and round and round we go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭kodoherty93

Definitely mormonism or any other us Protestants church's that were founded in the us.

Like Mormons believe in the book of Mormon that Adam and eve were in Jacksonville Missouri. That you can be a polygamist.

Also some of the baptist church's and there extreme views on homosexuality and abortion. But it's not uncommon for the members of the church to be on there 2/3th marriage.

krudler wrote: »
    the bible is true because it says its true, and round and round we go.
    Not at all, I've never argued that on boards.ie before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Ah yes, the great schism and atheist reformation of 2006! I remember it wel....actually what the fcuk are you talking about??:confused:
    Clearly it's when you joined boards.

I wouldn't be a huge fan of Dawkins' religious views (or, rather, how he expresses them), same goes for Hitchens and the rest of them.

Why do I find Christianity unconvincing? Generally, it's because I see the Bible as a collection of texts written a few hundred years after the events they're describing (or, in some case, of the events they're claiming to predict). Then there's the inconsistencies (but I suppose that depends on whether you're looking at it literally or metaphorically). But the main reason is that God, in a very convoluted and bizarre manner, decided that, in order to save us from our sin (issues with that as well) sent down his son as a blood sacrifice. This might make sense if Genesis happened as it was supposed to happen, but, otherwise, nope. They'd be my main issues with the book that Christianity is based on. I'd have serious issues with Christianity as a Church due to all of them seemingly operating as if they're making it up as they go along.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

Where To wrote: »
    Religion is about the manipulation of others.

Is it fair to say that religion usually 'happens' to stupid people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Didn't over a Million go to see the Pope in Ireland? Iran has over 10 times the population!

And he was credited with bringing down the Shah, which wouldn't have hurt his turnout either.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

All those bits lovingly recreated in LEGO. Enjoy :)

http://www.thebricktestament.com/home.html

What I'd enjoy more is if you took out the text yourself and substantiated the claims. Then we could get talking about it!

What I'd enjoy more is if you took out the text yourself and substantiated the claims. Then we could get talking about it!

Who is the above directed towards?

Advertisement