Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade to 7 now graphics a mess

Options
  • 25-09-2012 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭

Laptop: Hp Pavillion G6000 with nvida graphics and AMD 64 Processor.
    A friend upgraded My laptop to Windows 7, now it seems the graphics are all stretched and resolution is very low. From googling it, it seems its missing a driver for the graphics card. I went to nvidia site and scanned for drivers and it said it needed GeForce 7000M / nForce 610M however when i tried to download that it failed to load.
    Any ideas what I could do next?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Can you change the resolution? (Right-click on desktop, screen resolution)

I'd say try to download the drivers again. The download might have been interrupted which is the usual cause of things not installing. If all else fails, windows provides drivers if you go to windows update (just type it into the start menu) and check under the optional updates for nvidia drivers. They're usually not as new as ones straight from nVidia themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭scrgirl

Thanks, but no Joy :(

What kind of error is showing up? Maybe you have drivers already installed that need to be un-installed first.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Your problem is that you only have the basic drivers.

Goto here, pick the actual laptop model name, and download the Vista drivers; they should work on Windows 7.

the_syco wrote: »
    Your problem is that you only have the basic drivers.

Goto here, pick the actual laptop model name, and download the Vista drivers; they should work on Windows 7.

Thanks, should I download all the drivers or just the graphics ones? (there are 2) and it says for Vista, is that a problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Clcik Start, then Run, type in winver and press OK. Does it say 64bit or not?
    scrgirl wrote: »
    Thanks, should I download all the drivers or just the graphics ones? (there are 2) and it says for Vista, is that a problem?
    Shouldn't be a problem. Ensure you get the correct version (32bit or 64bit). Don't worry about it being Vista; should still work, as most nVidia drivers are listed as "Vista/Windows7 drivers".

the_syco wrote: »
    Clcik Start, then Run, type in winver and press OK. Does it say 64bit or not?

Shouldn't be a problem. Ensure you get the correct version (32bit or 64bit). Don't worry about it being Vista; should still work, as most nVidia drivers are listed as "Vista/Windows7 drivers".

doesnt say 64 bit, says neither. i ran 64 bit anyway but it terminated as it detected the wrong os. I'll try the 32bit.

32 bit didnt work either, detected OS was not vista. Anyone know where I could get drivers for 7?

scrgirl wrote: »
    32 bit didnt work either, detected OS was not vista. Anyone know where I could get drivers for 7?

Try this one.

I just restarted my laptop and something I did worked! lots of configuration updates, a windows service pack update and everything looks a lot better!!
    Thanks for the help, not sure exactly we did but it worked!

• Advertisement

Hello again, I'm back with another problem, just tried skype for the first time since I upgraded and it seems there is no microphone getting picked up now. message coming up says cant detect sound card. as there was no sound card removed i assume its another driver issue, any idea what I need to do?

I've noticed that windows doesn't always pick up the sound cards alright.

I'd say your best bet would be to go to the HP site and find the sound drivers under the model of your laptop. Vista ones should do if they don't have 7.

Advertisement