Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied maths question

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

In the diagram given in the question, imagine drawing a line from the centre of B to the point of tangency. This gives a right-angled triangle, where the side opposite alpha is r, and the hyopeneuse is 2r, (taking r to be the radius of the spheres)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭aarond280

In the diagram given in the question, imagine drawing a line from the centre of B to the point of tangency. This gives a right-angled triangle, where the side opposite alpha is r, and the hyopeneuse is 2r, (taking r to be the radius of the spheres)
    oh right and is there any other way of doing that withouth using the radius

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Not sure why you would want to avoid referring to the radius - it makes an appearance and then immediately gets cancelled out, so it's not exactly getting in the way!

I guess you could imagine extending the given diagram to draw a pattern showing seven identical circles - six of them arranged round one, (like a flower!).

You could then use that pattern to argue that line shown in the original diagram makes an angle of 30 degrees with the twelve o'clock line, by rotational / reflective symmatry, as it's a twelfth of the way around the pattern. Might be hard to call it a proof, but it's enough for "show", I'd say.

Other than that, I can't think of an obvious way.

Advertisement