Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing CPU heatsink cleaning?

Options
  • 25-09-2012 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭

Ok so today the afternarked CPU heatsink arrived and I'm looking to remove the stock one

As far as I can see its straightforward enough

- remove
    - clean
    - install new (thermal paste is contained on the heatsink already)

Which brings me to cleaning and availability of cleaning agents

Am i right in assuming that rubbing alcohol is the best for cleaning, asking as only guides I've seen seem to be old, making sure things havn't changed..

Also where would be cheapest/easiest place to get rubbing alcohol, I've already asked in my local pharmacy and the've none :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

U_Fig wrote: »
    Ok so today the afternarked CPU heatsink arrived and I'm looking to remove the stock one

As far as I can see its straightforward enough

- remove
    - clean
    - install new (thermal paste is contained on the heatsink already)

Which brings me to cleaning and availability of cleaning agents

Am i right in assuming that rubbing alcohol is the best for cleaning, asking as only guides I've seen seem to be old, making sure things havn't changed..

Also where would be cheapest/easiest place to get rubbing alcohol, I've already asked in my local pharmacy and the've none :(

Rubbing alcohol is best because it leaves no residue when it evaporates. My local pharmacy ordered it in for me (after an interrogation as to why I needed it). If your near a currys they sell a generic TIM remover, not sure how good it is but it'll do the job if your stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

The best TIM cleaner I've used is akasa tim clean, expensive but the bottle has unlimited uses and smells of lemons :D Unfortunately I lost mine so now use phobya cpu cleaner. There's also arcticlean.

But you could just use alcohol, no idea where to get it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

spix wrote: »
    and smells of lemons :D.

Always a priority when cleaning computer components..
    gonna ask my pharmacy to order some in for me..filing that I'll try the above

Was talking to a cousin of mine there who is in America on erasmus and he was saying that in his local supermarket they have 1l bottles of the stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

U_Fig wrote: »
    Always a priority when cleaning computer components..
    gonna ask my pharmacy to order some in for me..filing that I'll try the above

Was talking to a cousin of mine there who is in America on erasmus and he was saying that in his local supermarket they have 1l bottles of the stuff

Would probably be faster to just order the stuff made for cleaning cpu's off ebay. Here's a link to it, I paid much less for mine :/

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Tim-Clean-Thermal-Interface-CPU-Heatsink-cleaner-Akasa-/400264907887?pt=UK_Computing_Thermal_Compounds_Supplies&hash=item5d31a5cc6f

I wonder how much the pharamcy will charge you? Make sure you ask for a high percentage, according to google 90 + is what you should use for cleaning a cpu.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

A 500ml bottle of iso-propanol cost me €15. You only need a tiny amount so it'll last for a long time. It's handy for a lot of things, including cleaning off the gunk left behind by stickers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Arcticlean has always worked well for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Neilos wrote: »
    A 500ml bottle of iso-propanol cost me €15. You only need a tiny amount so it'll last for a long time. It's handy for a lot of things, including cleaning off the gunk left behind by stickers.

This.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

My wife is a nurse and usually has those Sterets Alcohol Prep pads http://www.midmeds.co.uk/sterets-injection-swabs-p-2266.html in her pocket when she comes home from work. They work great. You can get them in any chemist

Found a place online that sells 99.9% isoprophyl alcohol in 500ml bottles for €11 + shipping.. Might get that although is such a high percentage safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

It would take your whole life to get through 500ml.

You can get the arcticlean delivered for €9, by the way:
    http://www.hitide.ie/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/338

• Advertisement

Got it sorted getting a 500ml bottle of 99.9% isoprophyl alcohol ex VAT delivered for ~€9.. An old boss of mine who runs an engineering company is ordering it in with his next chemical delivery..

Thanks for the replies lads.

Edit: I just got off the bus there on Clare street in Dublin and went into the pharmacy for the Craic to ask them if they had any and low and behold I got 100m of medialcal grade 99.9% isopropyl alcohol (after I explained it's use) for €2.

So I canceled the order from ur man.. Back home I asked 4 different pharmacys and all had none..

Advertisement