Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Turn off annoying game notifications

• 25-09-2012 7:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I have a SGSII and have quite a few free games loaded on it for the kids. Of late I'm getting annoying pop up ads for games (even when the game isn't being played). Is there anyway to turn these off other than removing the games one by one. I've had a look at a few of the games and there doesnt seem to be options within them to turn them off. Tbh I dont even know what games have caused the recent increase in ads.

EG of notifications
    "Finger Hockey" Free Now!
    (Save the Birds) funy game
    Fantastic running game...

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭ongarite

Download Airpush Detector & it'll show you which apps are sending out the notification ads.

You can either remove the app or block them all together if you root your phone and download an ad-blocker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

ongarite wrote: »
    Download Airpush Detector & it'll show you which apps are sending out the notification ads.

You can either remove the app or block them all together if you root your phone and download an ad-blocker

Cheers - just ran that and it says that its unable to find any apps with notification ads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭ongarite

Hmm, another ad scanner is by Lookout

ongarite wrote: »
    Hmm, another ad scanner is by Lookout

Ran that one and while it shows a few results under apps that collect information etc, it shows "0" for number of apps that display ads in Android notification bar

Bit strange - maybe ill run both a few times over the next few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

are you rooted?

if so lbe privacy guard lets you control what apps have access to.

you can set some of the games to not connect to the net and maybe that would work?

it would also allow you to block those that collect data (messages, contacts, logs etc)

• Advertisement

No not rooted but noticed one game was actually running in the background which may be the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Ye one or more apps are causing this problem. Once you uninstall them it should be the end of it.

Disable all the running games, even the backround processes, then play the games one by one until you find the culprit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

I find this app useful too:

Adfree

I modifies the hosts file on you phone to block certain domains. You will need a rooted phone though

Advertisement