Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wanting stuff...

• 25-09-2012 8:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭

Why do we feel the need to buy all this stuff??
    Just recently I was purchasing this thing off the internet. I believed its what I've been waiting for the past many years and once I get it my life will be complete, I will be cool and awesome, people will like me and would want to call themselves my friend. But as it always happens, the whole transaction went poo... The website seemed to have screwed up my order, after two weeks of waiting around and wrecking my head trying to deal with customer service, the order has finally gone through and now I have negative balance in my bank account!

And this got me thinking, everytime I want to buy something, it usually ends up with me wasting countless hours "researching" first if its really the thing I need in my life. Then once I've managed to convince myself that yes this thing will significantly enhance my life and make me feel more attractive to the opposite sex, I then end up wasting weeks saving up for it. Then I end up wasting more time thinking about the purchase making sure everything goes as planned. Then I end up wrecking my head waiting for the order to arrive, hoping it hasn't got lost somewhere in the post. Then after the initial joy I experience when I finally get this thing, I end up spending the rest of my time figure out what to do with it until I finally chuck it in a corner of my room and there it'll remain for eternity...

And then I can extend this to life in general. I ended up spending all these years in college wrecking my head of studies, being depressed and getting close to the point of total nervous breakdown worrying over exam results... and then once I graduate, I'll just end up more worried trying to find a job and then do well enough so that I don't get fired and can move ahead and this will continue on for eternity...

So what's the point of getting all these things when all they give you after that initial burst of excitement, is nothing but pain and a wrecked head.

tl;dr: I bought this thing which I thought would make me happy but instead it has just wasted days of my time and wrecked my head trying to get this thing...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Mail order bride didn't go to plan then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Penis enlarger?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

There's nothing that I would go to that kind of trouble for. Ive all the basic luxuries I need (a home, car etc), outside of that there's nothing materialistic that I lust over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

What is this mystery thing , an iphone or some other gadget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Your answering your own question there op.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

You can buy Lynx in Boots you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I only want nice things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

maxfresh wrote: »
    What is this mystery thing , an iphone or some other gadget

Ok, to stop people from speculating and move on, its an Adobe software.

My question is why can't we just learn to be happy with what we have? Why do we feel the need to buy all these things that are advertised to us which falsely claim they'll enhance our lives and make us happier but instead all they end up giving us is more pain and suffering than the happiness they promised...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

You PAID for software!!! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

I hope it wasn't one of those stupid wolf shirts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

I so read the thread title, wanting to be stuffed.

You PAID for software!!! :eek:

I do like to do some things legally... yeah...
    And because i'm a student, I can get a pretty good deal from the education store, if only the order didn't go all poo...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

My question is why can't we just learn to be happy with what we have? Why do we feel the need to buy all these things that are advertised to us which falsely claim they'll enhance our lives and make us happier but instead all they end up giving us is more pain and suffering than the happiness they promised...

You're clearly spending money on all the wrong things.

Shryke wrote: »
    You're clearly spending money on all the wrong things.

Think about all the things you bought in the past year.
    Then think about how much time and effort you spent into purchasing those things. Then think about what you expected to get out of it and what it actually gave you. Then ask yourself if you would have been better off not bothering with buying those things and would have done something better with your time and money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

This was never going to make you more attractive, honestly.:)

In answer to your question, I often ask myself, if I'm on the verge of an impulse buy, if I really NEED something, or if I just WANT it, and it gives me a reality check. Most of the time I know once I have it in my grimy paws that it'll lose the power to change my life.

As a result, I don't buy a lot of stuff that I get sick of. If I really want something these days its got to be something special or worth waiting for.
    I've come to the conclusion that I have a greedy streak, so I try to limit myself to things that are worth having.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

This is why we can't have nice things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Think about all the things you bought in the past year.
    Then think about how much time and effort you spent into purchasing those things. Then think about what you expected to get out of it and what it actually gave you. Then ask yourself if you would have been better off not bothering with buying those things and would have done something better with your time and money.

Can't think of anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

OP, I think you just over-analyse things. If you spend time planning and saving the reality more than likely disappoints.

Impulse purchases are much more rewarding in the short term, just admire them and return when the novelty wears off!

As for stressing in college, that's harder to solve. Exercise is probably the best solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

iPhone 5?

iPhone5?

Is it the iPhone 5?

It's the iPhone 5 isn't it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

You bought a flashlight instead of a fleshlight.....didn't ya noob!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Citygirl1

I do like to do some things legally... yeah...
    And because i'm a student, I can get a pretty good deal from the education store, if only the order didn't go all poo...

OP - If you're really a student, how do you have the money for all this "stuff"?

When I was a student I think my biggest indulgence was picking up an odd cassette/CD.

I think you need to stop buying things, even if you can afford them, and just start enjoying life.

Advertisement