Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 pricing?

• 25-09-2012 8:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭

What is up with the pricing for the new iPhone 5? €759 for 32gb where as the 4S last year was €689 for the same memory! What happened to Steve Jobs saying he always wanted to keep the price in line with previous models... has apple just forgotten that since he died? It's disgraceful less innovation and they want more money... This is according to the three website pricing but other networks can't vary much Apple sets the pricing that's why there are never any good discounts on iPhones

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

niallharty wrote: »
    What is up with the pricing for the new iPhone 5? €759 for 32gb where as the 4S last year was €689 for the same memory! What happened to Steve Jobs saying he always wanted to keep the price in line with previous models... has apple just forgotten that since he died? It's disgraceful less innovation and they want more money... This is according to the three website pricing but other networks can't vary much Apple sets the pricing that's why there are never any good discounts on iPhones

32gb was not 689 last year. It was 719 IIRC
    Also, where are you seeing the IRL pricing, Apple havent released it yet :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭iDann

kceire wrote: »

32gb was not 689 last year. It was 719 IIRC
    Also, where are you seeing the IRL pricing, Apple havent released it yet :confused:

Three.ie

iDann wrote: »
    Three.ie

Agh they are network locked phones. Anger should be directed towards three then, not apple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭niallharty

As I said earlier the networks don't have the control over pricing Apple gives them a price bracket they must fit into where they can give or take €10-20, it was in an article... whereas other companies don't care just as much so long as the phone sells. And I was talking about what the networks were charging last year i.e vodafone, three, meteor etc. Apple always add on extra to unlocked ones I suppose it only makes sense sure who'd buy a locked one if they were the same price?
    Go to the Apple German page to see what the pricing will be as it's already out in Germany and the pricing is the same for most of Apples other products for example the 32gb iPhone 5 there is €789! :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

As I said earlier the networks don't have the control over pricing Apple gives them a price bracket they must fit into where they can give or take €10-20, it was in an article... whereas other companies don't care just as much so long as the phone sells. And I was talking about what the networks were charging last year i.e vodafone, three, meteor etc. Apple always add on extra to unlocked ones I suppose it only makes sense sure who'd buy a locked one if they were the same price?
    Go to the Apple German page to see what the pricing will be as it's already out in Germany and the pricing is the same for most of Apples other products for example the 32gb iPhone 5 there is €789! :(

It was in an article? Seriously what are you waffling about? 3 set their prices, not Apple. Why are 3 charging more than Apple for the 8GB iPhone 4 ? And for the 16GB 4s......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,647 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Apple always add on extra to unlocked ones I suppose it only makes sense sure who'd buy a locked one if they were the same price?
    You have just shown that you havn't a clue. The phones are not marked up by Apple, the phones are in fact subsidised by the networks so they can charge what they want. So the networks are the ones marking down.

it wasn't talking about three specifically... It was talking about American operators being set at $199 actually, I can't find the exact one but here is one something got to do with it how Walmart has to take it all out of its own profit when they are giving a discount because Apple won't http://pocketnow.com/iphone/walmart-cuts-iphone-4-price-anticipating-coming-next-gen-iphone

Anyway what I'm asking is why is it more expensive.. it doesn't make sense it only costs $180 to make http://money.cnn.com/video/technology/2012/09/24/t-ts-iphone-5-teardown.cnnmoney yet they made it more expensive

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Anyway what I'm asking is why is it more expensive.. it doesn't make sense it only costs $180 to make http://money.cnn.com/video/technology/2012/09/24/t-ts-iphone-5-teardown.cnnmoney yet they made it more expensive

They are contract prices in the US. You can get it for that here. You have been quoting Prepay prices. Also, do CNN need a lesson in R&D costs, shipping costs, packaging etc, etc? The new Phone won't be coming off line costing $180 in the beginning, startup is always way more expensive until they are running at full production

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

It costs that much because people will pay it. Don't buy one if you don't want to pay that much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,937 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

We don't know the price yet. We will know Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,647 ✭✭✭✭ted1

R & d costs, advertising, taxes etc all cost money. Production costs are only a small costs of the overall cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Well the price to make an iphone is 183$ ,30$ more then 4th :pac: dont want to be an iphone nazi,but its all overrated by now,piece of plastic which is made in 0 paid factories in china,and multimillion campaigns to make you believe that you need one,because it has retina screen,and lte which can use your data limit in less then 1 minute :D is pretty much pointless.And yet theres millions willing to go into 2 year contracts just to have one.Cant afford this buy android same plastic,bigger screen and same capabilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

scamalert wrote: »
    Well the price to make an iphone is 183$ ,30$ more then 4th :pac: dont want to be an iphone nazi,but its all overrated by now,piece of plastic which is made in 0 paid factories in china,and multimillion campaigns to make you believe that you need one,because it has retina screen,and lte which can use your data limit in less then 1 minute :D is pretty much pointless.And yet theres millions willing to go into 2 year contracts just to have one.Cant afford this buy android same plastic,bigger screen and same capabilities.
    Sweet Devine Jesus what just crawled out of the woodwork

Cant afford this buy android same plastic,bigger screen and same capabilities.

you forgot to mention....Same Price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

guil wrote: »
    Sweet Devine Jesus what just crawled out of the woodwork
    Hope it crawls back in, never read such nonsense. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

Wheres the plastic on an iphone exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

so far what do we know about pricing?

as far as i can see, for a 32gb iphone 5

Apple - ?
    Three - €759 PAYG, €419 on 18 months at €40.66pm, €239 on 24 months at €40.66pm
    o2 - ?
    Vodafone - ?
    Meteor - ?
    Tesco mobile - ? (will they even sell it?)

not alot to go on two days before its out here....:(

hoodwinked wrote: »
    so far what do we know about pricing?

as far as i can see, for a 32gb iphone 5

Apple - ?
    Three - €759 PAYG, €419 on 18 months at €40.66pm, €239 on 24 months at €40.66pm
    o2 - ?
    Vodafone - ?
    Meteor - ?
    Tesco mobile - ? (will they even sell it?)

not alot to go on two days before its out here....:(

As i said in other threads, Severe Shortages of the phone. The networks themselves are probably only finding out today how many they are getting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

This is a screen grab from the German Apple site.

222052.jpg

Looks like the price has increased after all. Germany only has a VAT rate of 19% aswell, so there is a chance ours could be more.

• Advertisement

And heres a screengrab from apple.fr (France)

222054.jpg

French and German prices have been known for a week or two already, the UK prices remained the same except for the 16gb model. I paid 599 for my 32gb IP4 two years ago and paid the same for my 32gb IP5 last week.

French and German prices have been known for a week or two already, the UK prices remained the same except for the 16gb model. I paid 599 for my 32gb IP4 two years ago and paid the same for my 32gb IP5 last week.

It will be the same price in Ireland as it is in de/fr i guarantee.

Hogzy wrote: »
    It will be the same price in Ireland as it is in de/fr i guarantee.

yeah, i agree. Means i saved money by buying in Belfast :D

Its a bit ridiculous that the 64gb iPhone is set to be €100 more expensive than the 64gb iPad with 4g.

It boggles the mind!

Hope it crawls back in, never read such nonsense. :D
    if you put some brain and read some proper research of what changed since iphone 4 and 5gen youd find almost 0 differences.Anyway dont care,for the price they will be selling,youd easily find couple new galaxy s3 if you know where to look.
    enjoy the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdIWKytq_q4&feature=related

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

Ignore the troll, folks. Moving on...

Anyway dont care,for the price they will be selling,youd easily find couple new galaxy s3 if you know where to look.

Just out of sheer enjoyment, can you link me to a couple of genuine new S3's for the same price as an iPhone 5 and ill buy them and give you one for free ;)

Just out of sheer enjoyment, can you link me to a couple of genuine new S3's for the same price as an iPhone 5 and ill buy them and give you one for free ;)

Galaxy S3 - New - Boxed and Unlocked Asking price is 450, you'd probably get another €30-€50 off it.

Same thing for 430 you'd probably get it for 400

Correct me if mistaken but thats a couple of new Galaxy S3's for anywhere between €800 and €820. A hell of a lot cheaper than a 64gb iPhone 5.

When will i be receiving my phone?

EDIT: Both phones above are actually from the same seller so youd probably get a massive discount if buying the 2 phones. Let me know when to PM you my address so you can post one of them to me.

• Advertisement

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/phones/3940650
    average price going for s3 now is new 400e,but those willing to sell will go down to 350-300.Also wait until next month until Nokia,apple,htc and Samsung release new phones and youll easily buy two of them and get some extras ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement