Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VF Home Broadband and phone won't work when both plugged in

• 25-09-2012 8:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,808 ✭✭✭✭

I have VF Home Broadband and telephone line.

Each works fine as long as you plug them in separately. Use the ADSL Splitter and you can't get both to work (only net works). People try to call you and all they get is a strange unavailable tone.

It did work originally but my wireless phone broke and I bought another.

I have tried a couple of different Splitters and still no good.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭AlarmBelle

NIMAN wrote: »
    I have VF Home Broadband and telephone line.

Each works fine as long as you plug them in separately. Use the ADSL Splitter and you can't get both to work (only net works). People try to call you and all they get is a strange unavailable tone.

It did work originally but my wireless phone broke and I bought another.

I have tried a couple of different Splitters and still no good.

Any ideas?
    by splitter do you mean filter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,808 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

No, definitely splitter. Its written on it.

Allows you to connect 2 inputs (telephone and modem) into 1 house telephone socket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Vico1612

No, definitely splitter. Its written on it.

Allows you to connect 2 inputs (telephone and modem) into 1 house telephone socket.

Which modem do you have ? The white HG vodafone provide ? if so, no splitter on the master socket : plug the modem into the socket and your phone into the back of the modem [ 2 phone ports]
    Try posting on the vodafone forum for further help
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1270

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Change the Wifi Channel on the Router may be interfering

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Simple thing first - ensure phone and modem are plugged into their respective sockets on the splitter filter. If the phone is in the modem's side it will not work as the filter is designed to clean the narrow-band portion of the line out for the modem.

Failing that, beg, steal or borrow a different splitter filter and test. Vodafone may even supply a new one if you call them.

Failing that beg, steal or borrow a second telephone and test. Could be the handset.

These are things that Vodafone will ask you to test if you call them about the problem so save yourself some time and do it before hand.

Also, make sure you're testing everything at the main phone point in the house - not an extension upstairs or whatever. The main phone point is the one closest to the outside/external cabling in terms of where the cable runs. Normally installed in the hall.

• Advertisement

Vico1612 wrote: »
    Which modem do you have ? The white HG vodafone provide ? if so, no splitter on the master socket : plug the modem into the socket and your phone into the back of the modem [ 2 phone ports]
    Try posting on the vodafone forum for further help
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1270

Never tried this before, so had high hopes, but still no good.
    I dial out but it doesn't seem to ring at other end.

Only thing is, I have a phone bought in NI, so I had to add another adaptor to make it fit a RoI socket. Could this be part of the problem? I bought it in Argos but seen the same phone in Argos Ireland, so the phone will be the same, but may have a different plug at end.

Maybe worth a try?

Change the Wifi Channel on the Router may be interfering

Haven't a baldies how to do this.;)

Simple thing first - ensure phone and modem are plugged into their respective sockets on the splitter filter. If the phone is in the modem's side it will not work as the filter is designed to clean the narrow-band portion of the line out for the modem.

Failing that, beg, steal or borrow a different splitter filter and test. Vodafone may even supply a new one if you call them.

Failing that beg, steal or borrow a second telephone and test. Could be the handset.

These are things that Vodafone will ask you to test if you call them about the problem so save yourself some time and do it before hand.

Also, make sure you're testing everything at the main phone point in the house - not an extension upstairs or whatever. The main phone point is the one closest to the outside/external cabling in terms of where the cable runs. Normally installed in the hall.

Only one of these I ain't done is borrowing a different phone. Hope to do that soon.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 TechFixIT

Do you have more than one phone in the house?

I have a cordless phone with 2 handsets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Sounds like the modern is faulty to me. To test it, see if you can update the firmware. If you get a message staying, "voice service active" or something similar then this confirms the modern is at fault. The problem is the voice features of the modern are holding the line open once the modern is connected, I've seen it loads of times in the VF Hauwei modems. The cause is usually excess voltage on the line perhaps from lightening strike or damage on the line to your home.

How do I go about updating the firmware on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

How do I go about updating the firmware on it?

Follow the steps on this page.
    http://forum.vodafone.ie/index.php?/topic/2111-huawei-556a-software-update

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

I have a cordless phone with 2 handsets.

Do you have the second handset plugged into another phone socket elsewhere in the house? If so unplug the second handset and remove the line from the socket. Test with just the main handset and broadband plugged in.

Advertisement