Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

stanley oisin solid fuel stove?

• 25-09-2012 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

hubbie and me planning to put in a solid fuel stove- no radiators to be fed off it ...just need to heat the room.it is 15ftx16ft,,,works out a 5 kilowatt...looking at the stanley solid fuel oision online.... any idea is this a good stove? good heat/ also any idea of price for the stanley oisin stove? thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Have one of these in much the same room as you OP,18' 16'. Very happy with it both on heat output and economy.
    No need for radiators in the same room as it will more than adequately heat it up, I leave the doors open and it will heat the hallway too.
    Might light it at 5 ish in the evening with kindling and a bit of coal, maximum 2 top ups either with coal or briquettes for the evening. Prefer the coal myself- better heat.
    Takes a bit of getting used to at the beginning to get the heat adjustment right as it can overheat very fast but I find a small fire will burn at a cooler temperature and last longer with the vent semi-shut.
    I can't think of any drawbacks apart from the hassle I had installing the flue myself and it needs to be cordoned off if there's kids in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭lennyloulou

that is fantastic info.. many thanks . would you mind me asking you how much you paid for the stove please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

I think I paid about €440 for the stove and the fittings,1 right angle,1 2ft straight and a flue adaptor in black in McMahons. I'm not 100% as that was over 3 years ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭lennyloulou

many thanks for all your info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Just installed one last week, excellent heat and as above I open doors and it heats kitchen and hall. Still getting used to controls. Flue will cost as much as the stove if not more.
    Deal on at the moment at Ploughing championships, Stanley tent, spend €50 and get voucher for €100 off Oisin, spend €200 and get voucher for €400 off bigger stoves.
    I think if you ring Stanley direct they will do the same deal over the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 madfella65

I can confirm after speaking to Waterford Stanley over the phone this offer is only available at their stand at the ploughing

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SantaRita

madfella65 wrote: »
    I can confirm after speaking to Waterford Stanley over the phone this offer is only available at their stand at the ploughing

Anyone in Galway can avail of it this week in Joyces of Headford, they're running an advert on local radio, heard it today

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lledlledlled

Hi,

I'm also considering installing an Oisin

I've a 2-up/2-down terraced house and we put on our 30 year old gas central heating any time we want heat. Apart from the inefficiency of the boiler, we only really need the sitting room heated (this may change if/when kids come along so might keep the gas if we can) and we seldom use the hot water that the boiler heats when we switch heating on.

Do you think the Oisin would suit us?
    Can it be installed close to the existing gas boiler or it this a hazard?
    What are the approximate installation costs?

I'm a bit concerned about the small firebox, as I intend using mostly wood. Are there any similar quality stoves with larger fireboxes?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 scottie123

Hi lledlledlled,
    Did you go ahead with the Oisin. I'm thinking about getting one and I'm interested to know peoples experience. Good output, my room is 3.5mx4.5m? Does the glass blacken up much, there isn't an "airwash system" right?
    Any general thoughts are appreciated.
    Thanks

Advertisement