Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Real Life Documentaries - Commercial Value

Options
  • 25-09-2012 8:52pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 197 ✭✭

Hi,

Not sure if people on here can advise. Bascially I have approached a TV production company about a real life documentary. It's a family story is pretty unique. The production company jumped at it straight away and it turns out RTE are interested in showing it.

I am just wondering if there should be a discussion between myself and the production company about any commercial value of the documentary. It hasn't been mentioned yet. Would I be right in saying that RTE would pay a production company if they are showing the documentary? I just want to make sure that I'm not giving this to other people to make money from.

Also, what would happen if somebody like BBC would be interested in showing it?

This might not be the right place but couldnt find another thread that would be suitable. Feel free to move to somewhere more suitable.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Hi,

Not sure if people on here can advise. Bascially I have approached a TV production company about a real life documentary. It's a family story is pretty unique. The production company jumped at it straight away and it turns out RTE are interested in showing it.

I am just wondering if there should be a discussion between myself and the production company about any commercial value of the documentary. It hasn't been mentioned yet. Would I be right in saying that RTE would pay a production company if they are showing the documentary? I just want to make sure that I'm not giving this to other people to make money from.

Also, what would happen if somebody like BBC would be interested in showing it?

This might not be the right place but couldnt find another thread that would be suitable. Feel free to move to somewhere more suitable.

Yes RTE would pay the production company to show it and could well be funding the documentary too.

Did you just come up with the idea or are you going to be in the documentary?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 197 ✭✭Eastcoastryan

I will be in the documentary. It's a real life story about a rare genetic disorder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I will be in the documentary. It's a real life story about a rare genetic disorder.

I'm not sure what sort of fees people get for these things but I would certainly raise the issue of payment with them before shooting starts.

Also get a solicitor to look at any contracts before you sign.

Advertisement