Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Elements of a written contract

• 25-09-2012 8:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭

Here's a hypothetical one for all you experts in Tort:

On a contract, where there is space for the signatories to sign, does the contract remain legally binding if the names of the signatories are not shown in print?

For example:

________________ signed on behalf of the customer

________________ signed on behalf of the supplier

...with no reference as to who is doing the signing? I'm thinking of a situation where the signature is basically a scribble and it's impossible to determine the actual signatory.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Here's a hypothetical one for all you experts in Tort:

On a contract, where there is space for the signatories to sign, does the contract remain legally binding if the names of the signatories are not shown in print?

For example:

________________ signed on behalf of the customer

________________ signed on behalf of the supplier

...with no reference as to who is doing the signing? I'm thinking of a situation where the signature is basically a scribble and it's impossible to determine the actual signatory.

Tort isnt contract :D

Anyways the answer is yes, there are no requirements in contract law to "print" your signature. A scribble (like my signature is) is perfectly valid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

NoQuarter wrote: »
    Tort isnt contract :D

Anyways the answer is yes, there are no requirements in contract law to "print" your signature. A scribble (like my signature is) is perfectly valid.
    Thanks for that NoQuarter, the reason I mentioned Tort was in the context of one party being considered in breech of contract could that party claim the contract was invalid.

Interesting scenario.

Thanks for that NoQuarter, the reason I mentioned Tort was in the context of one party being considered in breech of contract could that party claim the contract was invalid.

Interesting scenario.

Thats not tort law, thats still contract law. Tort law is car crashes and tripping and falling and that stuff.

If party A was claiming breach of contract, party B can definitely claim it's not valid but not on the argument youve mentioned above. Unless of course, it wasnt the persons own signature .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

If the signatory deliberately fakes their signature then isn't there and action in the tort of deceit?

If the signatory deliberately fakes their signature then isn't there and action in the tort of deceit?

Maybe, but fraudulent misrep would be easier to prove.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭seb65

Maybe, but fraudulent misrep would be easier to prove.

IMO, I don't see that it is fraudulent misrep as it doesn't posses the necessary elements of such, i.e. that it induces a person to contract.

If a person didn't sign the contract, then, barring an oral agreement, there's no contract and it's unenforceable. Additionally, if the contract is for the sale of land or goods over 10(?) euro and there's no record, any corresponding oral agreement is unenforceable.

seb65 wrote: »
    IMO, I don't see that it is fraudulent misrep as it doesn't posses the necessary elements of such, i.e. that it induces a person to contract.

If a person didn't sign the contract, then, barring an oral agreement, there's no contract and it's unenforceable. Additionally, if the contract is for the sale of land or goods over 10(?) euro and there's no record, any corresponding oral agreement is unenforceable.

I take your point but the presence of a fraudulent signature could entice someone into a contract, you could certainly make an argument for it depending on the circumstances. IMO The argument should be kept in contract as opposed to going under the tort of deceit which would be more similar to negligent misstatement.

Sale of Goods Act says 12 euro, but how unworkable is that! You couldnt buy a crate of beer without a contract in that case. Sale of land is different again, s.2 Statute of Frauds.

I take your point but the presence of a fraudulent signature could entice someone into a contract, you could certainly make an argument for it depending on the circumstances. IMO The argument should be kept in contract as opposed to going under the tort of deceit which would be more similar to negligent misstatement.

Sale of Goods Act says 12 euro, but how unworkable is that! You couldnt buy a crate of beer without a contract in that case. Sale of land is different again, s.2 Statute of Frauds.

I agree with you on it not being a matter under tort. We'll agree to disagree on neg misrep.

As for the low $ amount on SGA...I know right!

I agree with you on it not being a matter under tort. We'll agree to disagree on neg misrep.

As for the low $ amount on SGA...I know right!

Fraudulent misrep, not negligent!

Fraudulent misrep, not negligent!

sorry, sorry, my bad.

How about just plain fraud? Can we agree on fraud?

• Advertisement

Absolutely!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

The writing requirements do not mean there is no contract. There may be a perfectly good contract but the courts won't enforce it because of lack of compliance with the statutory formalities.
    That being said equity will not allow the statute to be used as an engine of fraud and may well enforce the contract by way of the doctrine of part performance.

The writing requirements do not mean there is no contract. There may be a perfectly good contract but the courts won't enforce it because of lack of compliance with the statutory formalities.
    That being said equity will not allow the statute to be used as an engine of fraud and may well enforce the contract by way of the doctrine of part performance.

I believe that's what I said? If a person did not sign the contract and there's a signatory on it, it cannot be assumed that there is a valid written agreement between the two parties. Unless, there is an oral agreement.

If there is no record of the agreement for certain types of contract, an oral agreement will also be unenforceable.

What's your issue, exactly?

If there is no record of the agreement for certain types of contract, an oral agreement will also be unenforceable.

Unless there is fraud. The reason we got to this point is by considering signing a fake signature, not no signature at all.

So if there is a fake signature, the courts might take an equitable stance and enforce the contract. This is where IMO, fraudulent misrepresentation comes in.

You said:
    If a person didn't sign the contract, then, barring an oral agreement, there's no contract and it's unenforceable.

M&H said:
    The writing requirements do not mean there is no contract.

And then you replied:
    I believe that's what I said?

Which its not what you said really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

I believe that's what I said? If a person did not sign the contract and there's a signatory on it, it cannot be assumed that there is a valid written agreement between the two parties. Unless, there is an oral agreement.

What's your issue, exactly?

What about part performance?

What about part performance?

There has to be some evidence of a "meeting of the minds" whether spoken or written words. I can't just impose on a contract on you without your consent.

My posting had to do with if someone signed someone else's name without permission to an agreement. No court would uphold that as a contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭jblack

Not just part performance; courts will look at unjust enrichment, restitution, estoppel etc.

Only certain types of contract are required to be in writing, the difficulty is proving there was a contract in existence.

It should also be noted that there has been a recent trend moving away from the requirement of consensus ad idem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

There has to be some evidence of a "meeting of the minds" whether spoken or written words. I can't just impose on a contract on you without your consent.

My posting had to do with if someone signed someone else's name without permission to an agreement. No court would uphold that as a contract.

That is a privity defence. Nothing to do with written evidence of the contract

jblack wrote: »
    Not just part performance; courts will look at unjust enrichment, restitution, estoppel etc.

Only certain types of contract are required to be in writing, the difficulty is proving there was a contract in existence.

It should also be noted that there has been a recent trend moving away from the requirement of consensus ad idem.

What recent developments have shown a departure? I'm interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭jblack

What recent developments have shown a departure? I'm interested.

I have a paper at home discussing recent decisions in the UK on the topic, I'll find it when I'm home later and let you know.

• Advertisement
Advertisement