Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick hypothetical re: Credit Unions

• 25-09-2012 9:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭

If a person has say €2,000 in shares, and a loan of €3,000; is there any legitimate reason as to why said shares can not go towards paying off interest on the loan?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

the shares are security against the loan so you cant touch them - generally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Random wrote: »
    the shares are security against the loan so you cant touch them - generally.

But isn't there a drop-off point in which the security falls in line with the loan amount (outstanding)?

If €2,000 was used as security for a €5,000 loan, for what legit reason is there not an equal depletion of security required to maintain the loan when it more than halves in size?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

i can only speak for how it was with my credit union. the entire shares are security against the loan. you can only access the shares once they fall below the loan amount. then you can only withdraw shares until the shares match your loan balance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I did this, I approached the Credit Union as I was unable to keep up my repayments.
    I had 3 years left on a loan, I asked for the loan to be spread over 5 years again, as I could afford those repayments.

They agreed but only if I used my shares as part payment before they approved the re-structuring. This reduced the repayments even further.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

If a person has say €2,000 in shares, and a loan of €3,000; is there any legitimate reason as to why said shares can not go towards paying off interest on the loan?

One of the main principles of Credit Unions is to encourage people to maintain their capital. Withdrawing shares or transfering them, is basically going against that principle.

However, if a persons circumstances have changed to a point where they are unable to meet their repayments, a lot of credit unions will allow the transfer of shares and a restructuring. I would only use it as a last measure though, as the Financial Regulator has issued instructions to credit unions, to not lend any further to people have refinanced their loans(even if their circumstances change back for the better).

Edit. One other thing, the transfer of shares to a loan does not constitute a payment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Sidetracker

The principal of the practice is sound, however the logic is bureaucratic nonsense. If you are struggling to pay your loan and the CU is putting on interest, whilst NOT paying interest on your shares, how can it make sense to lock away your asset .

Advertisement