Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time to re evaluate enoch powells "rivers of blood" speech

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/3643823/Enoch-Powells-Rivers-of-Blood-speech.html

A lot of what he said makes sense given the current state of the UK and we are probably a few years behind them here.

LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Ok.

It's still a load of racist bollocks and ignorance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Slurryface

karma_ wrote: »
    LOL
    In retrospect he was quite a visionary.

Slurryface wrote: »

...why, what did he envision?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Why reevaluate? We still have the likes of Nick Griffin espousing the exact same kind of nonsense. Thankfully people ignore their hate and their bile and their racism becomes ever increasingly marginalised.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Even for its time, it was quite behind its time. So.....nah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Ah shadapayaface!

Nodin wrote: »
    ...why, what did he envision?
    Rivers of blood, like those seen in London in July 2005 when their "homegrown" talibanis blew up trains and buses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Rivers of blood, like those seen in London in July 2005 when their "homegrown" talibanis blew up trains and buses.

If it wouldn't be the "homegrown talibans" it would have been someone else eventually. Its not like London was never ever attacked before...

Considering that we paddys had been blowing up things over there since the 1800's, for a run of (roughly) 130-140 years, on and off, do you think he should have mentioned the irish in his speech?

O - and you might quote where he mentions "terrorism", "muslims" and that kind of thing while you're at it.

• Advertisement

Visionary my arse. That speech is nothing but racist bile from a racist old bastard.

If it wouldn't be the "homegrown talibans" it would have been someone else eventually. Its not like London was never ever attacked before...
    Point is bubba, it WAS homegrown Talabanis! That is what counts.

Flutterin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

Trouble does not occur because people are a particular colour, it occurs because they are poor, become disenfranchised, then angry and go seek an outlet for that anger.

Many ethnic minorities are poor because their poor grandparents emigrated to Britain in the fifties and sixties worked in menial jobs, couldnt educate their kids properly and so the cycle that had been in place in the UK for decades continued. It became more colourful, as poor imigrant parents had kids who stayed poor due to a lack of social mobility and inequality like the white people.

Powell forgot that before the imigrants, there were the white poor.

Such forgetfulness leading to the conclusion that trouble and lack of integration are purely an immigrant problem which has recently arisen can also be termed RACISIM.

Its disgusting stupid and should not be shrouded in any other language.

You going to answer my query.....?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Duzzer

It certainly applies here,though unlike the immigrants in Powells speech our "immigrants" don't have to work to have a suitable income and and house.

Duzzer wrote: »
    It certainly applies here,though unlike the immigrants in Powells speech our "immigrants" don't have to work to have a suitable income and and house.

....here we go. The usual bollocks.

You can't arrive in this country and claim.

....here we go. The usual bollocks.

You can't arrive in this country and claim.

Once you become a citizen you can and it's really easy because not having a prior tax history etc. means the minimum amount of means tests form filling etc.

Once you become a citizen you can and it's really easy because not having a prior tax history etc. means the minimum amount of means tests form filling etc.

Really.

So every immigrant who comes here becomes a citizen? And all immigrants who become citizens do it for the free house and money....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

I can only begin to imagine how sh1te Dublin would be now without the foreigners living here.

• Advertisement

Really.

So every immigrant who comes here becomes a citizen? And all immigrants who become citizens do it for the free house and money....?

Not all but alot know that if they are going to land somewhere in Europe then Ireland has good benefits. I don't see many rolling up in Poland or Latvia for example

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

His rivers of blood speech was purely to do with a race war, and absolutely feck all to do with terrorists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Not all but alot know that if they are going to land somewhere in Europe then Ireland has good benefits. I don't see many rolling up in Poland or Latvia for example

Post edited for "grammar".

LOL

Just to clarify here....what countries of origin do these immigrants you're talking about hail from?

Post edited for "grammar".

LOL

Best you can come up with?:D

Just to clarify here....what countries of origin do these immigrants you're talking about hail from?

Outside EU mostly Africa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Outside EU mostly Africa
    Ah... it's the brown people you have a problem with.

Didn't see that coming.

El Weirdo wrote: »

Didn't see that coming.

It shocked the fuck out of me, I have to say. Nearly dropped me Gerry Adams mug.

Outside EU mostly Africa

Well the number of immigrants from those areas are actually fairly small. What you're on about, I suspect, are Asylum seekers. Do you know how long it can take to get processed, for an asylum seeker?

• Advertisement

El Weirdo wrote: »

Didn't see that coming.

Not necessarily

Well the number of immigrants from those areas are actually fairly small. What you're on about, I suspect, are Asylum seekers. Do you know how long it can take to get processed, for an asylum seeker?

I'd say they mostly arrived here under that guise. One can only imagine the terror they went through as they had to flee their country and seek asylum on a little island on the far side of Europe.

I'd say they mostly arrived here under that guise. One can only imagine the terror they went through as they had to flee their country and seek asylum on a little island on the far side of Europe.

So now all asylum seekers who made it here and made it through the process are, essentially, fraudsters.

If you were seeking asylum, would you go to a stable safe country, or someplace like somalia?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Cool, Stormfront's got a presence on Boards now. Who wants popcorn?

Confab wrote: »

I thought they've been here for years...

Well guise is a word to describe an impression or appearance that someone wants to portray. In the case of an asylum seeker obviously not all are genuine when their cases are examined therefore the word guise is the most appropriate one to use.

• Advertisement

Confab wrote: »

Are you inferring some one here is in stormfront?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Well guise is a word to describe an impression or appearance that someone wants to portray. In the case of an asylum seeker obviously not all are genuine when their cases are examined therefore the word guise is the most appropriate one to use.

In some cases. In many cases, asylum seekers are legit.

Enoch Powell was a rabidly racist rabble rouser.

Nice alliteration, eh?

....but you seem to be implying that at least some of the ones that get in are not in fact, genuine.

....but you seem to be implying that at least some of the ones that get in are not in fact, genuine.

I'm saying that of all the asylum seekers that arrive here some of them are not genuine. I'm always amazed at the efforts they have all made to get to Ireland, if they purely want to get away from tyranny and terror then why not just get to the closest country that will give them safe refuge.

I'm saying that of all the asylum seekers that arrive here some of them are not genuine..

...but theres frauds in every system and the vast majority of applicants don't get in so whats the big deal? Are you saying some that get in are fraudsters?
    I'm always amazed at the efforts they have all made to get to Ireland, if they purely want to get away from tyranny and terror then why not just get to the closest country that will give them safe refuge.

Theres no obligation to go to the closest country. Where would you go, somalia, Uganda or here?

• Advertisement

...but theres frauds in every system and the vast majority of applicants don't get in so whats the big deal? Are you saying some that get in are fraudsters?

Theres no obligation to go to the closest country. Where would you go, somalia, Uganda or here?

There's a lot of countries to go to between Africa and Ireland. If your in pure terror then you'll just try and get to a safe refuge. If you are willing to try and go 1000s of miles across Africa and Europe to get to Ireland then there must be a more specific reason than fleeing from persecution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I, for one, am sick of these 'Enoch Enoch' jokes.

There's a lot of countries to go to between Africa and Ireland. If your in pure terror then you'll just try and get to a safe refuge. If you are willing to try and go 1000s of miles across Africa and Europe to get to Ireland then there must be a more specific reason than fleeing from persecution.

.....so the chinese who go to America are chancers, the Afghans who go to Britain are chancers.....

And again - unless you're saying that people who are fraudsters are being granted citizenship in large numbers - I don't see what your problem is.

Why can't you answer the question as regards as to where you'd go?

.....so the chinese who go to America are chancers, the Afghans who go to Britain are chancers.....

And again - unless you're saying that people who are fraudsters are being granted citizenship in large numbers - I don't see what your problem is.

Why can't you answer the question as regards as to where you'd go?

I've never had to bail out of Somalia but if I was fleeing in genuine terror I'd try and get to the closest country that would provide food and safe refuge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Powell was saying what alot of people were thinking but were not allowed say. Fair play to him for standing up for what he believed.

I've never had to bail out of Somalia but if I was fleeing in genuine terror I'd try and get to the closest country that would provide food and safe refuge.

And after that.....? leave your family in the tent/lean-to and be happy with that?

You seem to be dodging the issue of whether or not those granted citizenship are fraudsters or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

profitius wrote: »
    Fair play to him for standing up for what he believed.
    I'm going to resist the temptation to Godwin this thread.

And after that.....? leave your family in the tent/lean-to and be happy with that?

You seem to be dodging the issue of whether or not those granted citizenship are fraudsters or not.

Vast majority are Economic migrants as they are arriving here to seek better economic conditions rather than just pure safe haven to get away from immediate danger.

Vast majority are Economic migrants as they are arriving here to seek better economic conditions rather than just pure safe haven to get away from immediate danger.

You'ld probably do the same if you were in their place too.
    Don't judge, its just human nature to want a better life.
    Same reason why the Irish move to USA/Australia etc.

Just because they're a different colour doesn't make them any lesser human.

But what you really mean is that any African who becomes an Irish citizen is by default "dodgy".

• Advertisement
Advertisement