Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time to re evaluate enoch powells "rivers of blood" speech

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

Clareboy wrote: »
    It's an awfull pity that we did not have someone in this country with the guts to speak out like Enoch Powell. Mass Immigration has destroyed Britain and the same is happening here.
    I havn't seen any immigrants as bankers, politians, regulators when the **** was happening in this country. Ironically foreigners have been brought in to clean up the mess.
    But wait a minute they are economic emigrants, damn what are we going to do.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

The productivity of the eastern european workers is saving a lot of businesses. Irish along with Australians are some of the laziest workers I have ever come across.

To be honest we're a joke of a country, the more immigration from competent nationalities the better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Ireland does have colonial ties to Nigeria, Irish missionaries played a part. About 30% of Nigerias population, mostly Igbo is catholic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Big Mouth

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Duzzer banned.

There, there precious.....you don't ban the other poster for personally abusing Duzzer?

This place is obscenely left wing, pinko liberal you can't even start any type of debate of this nature without the usual rent a qoutes jumping in (cue these posters all having a go at me one after the other)

Lets be honest there are a hell of alot of people foreign and nationals alike scamming the system, West Africans being THE worst imo.

Not all foreigners are scammers, however, there is a grain of truth in the OP's point, I openly admit I wouldn't like to see parts of Ireland turn into Brixton or Bradford, I don't hate Black or Asian people, what really is so wrong with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Higher wrote: »
    The productivity of the eastern european workers is saving a lot of businesses. Irish along with Australians are some of the laziest workers I have ever come across.

To be honest we're a joke of a country, the more immigration from competent nationalities the better!

Theres really no point in replacing xenophobic bigotry with self hating bigotry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Higher wrote: »
    To be honest, I've never met a racist who isn't either extraordinarily sexually frustrated or going nowhere in life. Normally they were both.

As I'm sure you don't consider yourself a racist then this doesn't apply to you.....

Bye now :)

Actually you'll find the self haters want Ireland full of non Irish because they have an inferiority complex. Thats why they get their knickers in a twist if anyone voices any concern about immigration. You can read these people like a book. Its funny actually. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Big Mouth wrote: »
    This place is obscenely left wing, pinko liberal you can't even start any type of debate of this nature without the usual rent a qoutes jumping in (cue these posters all having a go at me one after the other)

But if you can back up what you say what difference does it make which wing you're on?
    Lets be honest there are a hell of alot of people foreign and nationals alike scamming the system, West Africans being THE worst imo.

You can't actually believe that really though? I mean if you haven't got facts to back that up, like the monetary amounts and a demographic breakdown then it's just a ****ing stupid statement. Why? Because the Irish population is still comprised largely of Irish born citizens. So the vast majority of SW users are almost certainly Irish born citizens. So the law of average would say that the vast majority of the abuse that does occur is done by Irish born citizens. So how could Africans be the worst? That's just common sense really.
    Not all foreigners are scammers, however, there is a grain of truth in the OP's point, I openly admit I wouldn't like to see parts of Ireland turn into Brixton or Bradford, I don't hate Black or Asian people, what really is so wrong with that?

There's a difference between not wanting to see ghettos develop and just outright hatred for other people and blaming all of Ireland's problems on Africans or any other race by making stupid statements. In fact, by doing that, it'll just be made worse. What you'll have then is people feeling like they are not wanted in Ireland retreating to their own little corner and setting up shop for all the disenfranchised; a ghetto. I'd much rather have the Asian, African or anyone else sat next to me drunk in the pub rather than stewing in hatred at home thinking of how Ireland hates him and wondering how he'd go about revenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

token101 wrote: »
    But if you can back up what you say what difference does it make which wing you're on?

Theres too much emotion for a debate. No point pretending otherwise. Its all coming from one side yet the people on the other side of the debate are getting banned. I thought there was some rule about abusing posters. You wouldn't think it from reading this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I wish this phrase would find a dark place, curl up and die. It should be added to the list with 'blasted with ****' and 'yore **'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

kowloon wrote: »
    I wish this phrase would find a dark place, curl up and die. It should be added to the list with 'blasted with ****' and 'yore **'.

I put it on the census as my occupation but the 'man' (a very nice woman in her 60s really) made me change it. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 jimmi10

I read Enoch Powell's speech and I think he was right about a lot of things.

There are many parts of England which are extremely dangerous due to immigration into them since the 1940's.

Try walking into some of the ghettos around Bradford or Leeds and see what happens.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

jimmi10 wrote: »

There are many parts of England which are extremely dangerous due to immigration into them since the 1940's.

Try walking into some of the ghettos around Bradford or Leeds and see what happens.

I live beside Southall and I've never had any problems, same goes for Brixton. The dangers you mention come from how people were treated on arrival and how their children were treated. If you ghettoise people and treat them like dirt, constantly denigrate them and their culture... you might just get social unrest. But amazingly enough, we get on well. Better than well, actually.

Wow. Just wow.

Incidentally, Brixton was a predominantly Irish and Portugese area for many years. So why would that bother you so much? Unless, you mean, when the Windrush generation moved in? You know, the black folks? Surely not? That would mean you do hate...

You can get a damn fine, reasonably priced curry and tandoori chicken to die for?

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    You can get a damn fine, reasonably priced curry and tandoori chicken to die for?

Best place for curries I found was Tooting, a predominantly Asian, Black and Irish area. Far more inviting than Brick Lane :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Whenever ever I see an English man, who would place his hand on his heart and praise the Empire, complain about immigration I do so laugh.

You have some foreigners in your country? For shame say I , but treat them well and you may just make up for Colonialism.

old hippy wrote: »
    I live beside Southall and I've never had any problems, same goes for Brixton. The dangers you mention come from how people were treated on arrival and how their children were treated. If you ghettoise people and treat them like dirt, constantly denigrate them and their culture... you might just get social unrest. But amazingly enough, we get on well. Better than well, actually.

Southall was also the scene of a race riots in 1979 and 1981 which left one person dead and many injured. Brixton too also experienced several race riots. This is exactly what Enoch Powell was warning about. People involved would have being physically and mentally damaged afterwards.

Judging by what you said the place must be a lot calmer now which is a positive thing to hear.

I wonder where all the original residents went and why they had to leave the area though.

I was in Brick Lane last weekend and got a fine curry there. I can agree with the Enoch Powell speech and enjoy ethnic cusine too.

Southall was also the scene of a race riots in 1979 and 1981 which left one person dead and many injured. Brixton too also experienced several race riots. This is exactly what Enoch Powell was warning about. People involved would have being physically and mentally damaged afterwards.

Judging by what you said the place must be a lot calmer now which is a positive thing to hear.

I wonder where all the original residents went and why they had to leave the area though.

Do you actually know what you're talking about? Peach was an anti-fascist campaigner who was killed by the police. :rolleyes:

Nobody had to leave the area. Migration happens between cities, area codes and so on. It's the human experience, we're all nomads. Which gladdens my heart - otherwise my parents would never have met, I wouldn't have met my wife and other members of my family wouldn't exist.

There was a riot in my part of town last year. It was down to many factors but blaming it on race would be just too simple. And misguided.

I'm glad to be living in this diverse city - tonight I'll have a few drinks with my wife and pals from Ireland, Ghana, Romania, South Africa, Poland and so on. It's not smug, it's not a pose, it's not right-on. It's just what it is. Life. Love. Peace. :)

Best place for curries I found was Tooting, a predominantly Asian, Black and Irish area. Far more inviting than Brick Lane :)

Best curry I had was in Sheffield.
    Best Jamaican patties on Seven Sisters Road, Tottenham.
    Best ackee salt fish on Kingsland High Street, Hackney.
    Best curried goat was in my mate Lorraine's house -she eventually gave me the recipe in exchange for teaching her how to make soda bread.

I lived and worked in Hackney for 6 years and Sheffield for 4 years and to my way of thinking I was just another immigrant among many immigrants from across the globe. Most of the people I knew who were born in the UK (i.e. who, unlike me were actually British)were not white - I was the one who was over there taking their jobs.

When I moved back to Ireland my then 9 year old son found it very hard to settle simply because he found the mono-cultural, mono-religion of Irish society very hard to cope with. That and his teacher calling him a 'British b*stard' in front of his whole class.

Ironic that the only time my Irish son encountered overt racism was in Ireland and due only to the fact that he had a London accent, didn't like hurling (he also doesn't like soccer) and wasn't a Catholic - apparently that made him 'British' and gave his teacher licence to verbally abuse him...

• Advertisement

Do you actually know what you're talking about? Peach was an anti-fascist campaigner who was killed by the police. :rolleyes:

Nobody had to leave the area. Migration happens between cities, area codes and so on. It's the human experience, we're all nomads. Which gladdens my heart - otherwise my parents would never have met, I wouldn't have met my wife and other members of my family wouldn't exist.

There was a riot in my part of town last year. It was down to many factors but blaming it on race would be just too simple. And misguided.

I'm glad to be living in this diverse city - tonight I'll have a few drinks with my wife and pals from Ireland, Ghana, Romania, South Africa, Poland and so on. It's not smug, it's not a pose, it's not right-on. It's just what it is. Life. Love. Peace. :)

Ok in that case it looks like I'll have to repeat myself because you missed my point. That person died as a result of the riots, it doesn't matter who it was and who killed them. No riots and they wouldn't have been killed.

As for the rest of your post, well all I can say is good for you. I may have a few drinks with friends too, so will many people.

I agree with Enoch's speech and you don't. Fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

As was said before, if you treat people like sh*t, expect a backlash.
    Treat people decently, and you will have not problem with everyone getting on.

Ok in that case it looks like I'll have to repeat myself because you missed my point. That person died as a result of the riots, it doesn't matter who it was and who killed them. No riots and they wouldn't have been killed.

As for the rest of your post, well all I can say is good for you. I may have a few drinks with friends too, so will many people.

I think you missed the point - heavy handed and often racist actions by the police led to the riots.

Tell me this - were you there when any of these events occurred?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭rockclover1

racist or not,he had a point,he envisioned the future of what it would be like to live in the UK,that racial tensions would boil over,people of certain races tend to stick together in their enclaves,only place you would see 'diversity' is in schools(not in all cases)and the workplace.

its a troubling future for all multicultural countries,and the ghetto enclaves it produces,i think it is blindly and intentionally foolish to simply blatanlty ignore this for the sole purpose of cowering from the cheapened and often overused word racist.

nobody talks about the silent racism waged against white european heritage peoples who are fast dwindling and being swamped,by an alien culture and alien languages.

there were social studies that measured stress levels of people who live in countries with mono language ,and plural languages,guess what those with plural languages the native who lived there experienced higher stress levels than those who dont live there..

racist or not,he (.......)live there..

So to sum up then "O Noes!!!!Teh DarKies". A wonderfully inspiring defence of "white heritage" people.

Yes, it's a well known fact that Salford was an area of free hugs and loves before them foriegners arrived.......
    http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/3789665?uid=3738232&uid=2129&uid=2&uid=70&uid=4&sid=21101216456931

I think you missed the point - heavy handed and often racist actions by the police led to the riots.

Tell me this - were you there when any of these events occurred?

The chain of events appears to have being set off after a protest in the area. The cause of originated from mass immigration to the area. What was mentioned in the "Rivers of Blood" speech was that immigration would lead to these tensions such as these.

I wasn't there though. Were you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

there were social studies that measured stress levels of people who live in countries with mono language ,and plural languages,guess what those with plural languages the native who lived there experienced higher stress levels than those who dont live there..

Yes, as a person who lives in a land with plural languages (English and Irish) I find I always have to have a cup of Bovril in the evenings to unwind. Curse you, Irish language!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭rockclover1

Nodin wrote: »
    So to sum up then "O Noes!!!!Teh DarKies". A wonderfully inspiring defence of "white heritage" people.

I didnt ask you to exaggerate or dumb down my post..If you dont have any helpful replys dont bother..

• Advertisement

Yes, it's a well known fact that Salford was an area of free hugs and loves before them foriegners arrived.......
    http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/3789665?uid=3738232&uid=2129&uid=2&uid=70&uid=4&sid=21101216456931

It appears that it never was a place of love and free hugs. It is now voted the 9th worst place to live in England.

How is this relevant to Enoch Powell's speech though?

There will always be rough areas in every town. That has occured throughout history and will into the future.

nobody talks about the silent racism waged against white european heritage peoples who are fast dwindling and being swamped,by an alien culture and alien languages.

Like in Independence Day? Grrr, smelly aliens that talk in your head…

PS, how do I find these secret aliens that want to swamp me with their probiotic cultures and take away my mini-replica Book of Kells?

It appears that it never was a place of love and free hugs. It is now voted the 9th worst place to live in England.

How is this relevant to Enoch Powell's speech though?

There will always be rough areas in every town. That has occured throughout history and will into the future.

O, so it only counts when there's "foriegners" involved, does it?

I didnt ask you to exaggerate or dumb down my post..If you dont have any helpful replys dont bother..

In fairness, I didn't dumb that post down. Some things are beyond my power to reduce further.

You ever been going down the road and started thinking in polish all of a sudden?

No. There will always be rough areas. If mass immigration is allowed and not managed then even more rough areas are created. It increases the problem even more. Look at Paris for example.

Yes, because whites beat you up with a wink and a smile and a 'how's your father!'

• Advertisement

No. There will always be rough areas. If mass immigration is allowed and not managed then even more rough areas are created. It increases the problem even more. Look at Paris for example.

So more forigeners = more rough areas? Fascinating.

So more forigeners = more rough areas? Fascinating.

Yes. Look at the video. That is the conclusion I come to. Also no need for the smart answers. We can debate this like two normal people or not at all.

Yes. Look at the video. That is the conclusion I come to. ........

So they're instrinsically trouble, then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Got as far as him thinking that all his children should move to other countries, and yet he moans about others moving into his country. I'm not even sure he gets the irony.

=-=

Read five of the latest posts. jimmi10; IMO, if you take a group of people from a sh|thole, and put them together, they may continue to act like they're in a sh|thole, because they know no difference.

In the case of Paris, the foreigner workers were put into cities, and when the work finished, were fenced off from the rest of France. There are little to no facilities there, very little employment, so apart from crime there doesn't seem to be anything to do there. France built ghettos, and is now surprised that people with nothing to do sometimes turn to crime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Yes. Look at the video. That is the conclusion I come to. Also no need for the smart answers. We can debate this like two normal people or not at all.

Its more to do with social inequality than with immigration.

Its very easy to blame "the immigrants" for the state of Paris. But no one would like to point fingers on the long running policies the French had of social segregation and the huge amounts of racism the immigrants had to deal with there which created all the social inequality in the first place!

• Advertisement

The chain of events appears to have being set off after a protest in the area. The cause of originated from mass immigration to the area. What was mentioned in the "Rivers of Blood" speech was that immigration would lead to these tensions such as these.

I wasn't there though. Were you?

Yup.

Was a community worker in Hackney when the Broadwater Farm riots kicked off (Hackney borders Haringay where Broadwater Farm is and the riots spilled over into Hackney) and I worked on an estate that those who have no idea what they are talking about would call 'a ghetto' - in actual fact we had about 50 nationalities ranging from English, Scottish, Welsh, Irish, Northern Irish ( 'British' and 'Irish'), Bengali, Pakistani, Greek, Turkish, Cypriot ('Greek' and 'Turkish'), West Indian (from various islands), Kurdish ('Turkish' and 'Libyan'), Indian ('Hindu', 'Muslim' and 'Sikh'), Vietnamese, Chinese etc etc etc.

In my 6 years there we had a grand total of four racially motivated incidents.

1. Some NF cowardly squib poured petrol through the letter box of a Bengali family and lit it. The flames blocked the only means of escape (the front door). The father of the 3 small children in the flat was seriously injured (3rd degree burns to large parts of his torso) due to breaking down the burning door to get his children out.

2. A woman (who was a known member of the BNP) claimed some 'black men' had attacked her on the canal towpath and pushed her toddler (strapped in a buggy) into the canal. The child was rescued by a jogger who cast doubt on the woman's story. CCTV revealed no other people were on the tow path - just the woman with her child and the jogger. Turned out she wanted to be rehoused as she didn't like living next to 'dirty blacks'. Her next door neighbour was the Lorraine I referred to earlier who was (still is) a highly respected pediatrics nurse.

3. As tenant advocate I informed the police of the activities of a heroin dealer who was selling to children operating out of one of the flats. I supplied a description and the flat number. The police set up a surveillance operation (ironically I allowed them to use my own flat which was directly across the estate) and when they had gathered enough evidence burst in and arrested the dealer. However, they also decided to burst into the flat of the dealer's next door neighbour on the grounds that they had observed 'several black men' entering and leaving the flat. The occupant of the flat was a young woman of West Indian origin who was in the process of bathing her two year old daughter when she felt the barrel of a gun pressed to the back of her head. The 'black men' observed entering and leaving her flat were her brothers and her father- a Baptist pastor. The heroin dealer was a white, middle aged Englishman.

4. An Irish traveler family was subjected to a 'dirty' campaign of harassment (a dirty campaign involves use of excrement). Despite complaints to the local area housing office no action was taken. In a casual conversation with me, one of the area managers referred to these 'effing filthy Micks who will be gone soon' (he did not know I am Irish). I complained him and investigation showed he was the ring leader of the campaign. The area manager was a white, middle aged Englishman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

France - Paris in particular - suffers from a generation of foreign-born people from a Muslim background, many of whom feel no affinity to the country and seem more interested in their rights than their responsibilities.

markesmith wrote: »
    France - Paris in particular - suffers from a generation of foreign-born people from a Muslim background, many of whom feel no affinity to the country and seem more interested in their rights than their responsibilities.

The vast majority are French born, and they suffer systematic discrimination.

What exactly is your point? The cops killed that man who was standing up to your Enoch pals.

Maybe there'd be less violence if there were less fascists and police brutality as opposed to "foreigners".

Do you share your views with your pals of different origins and cultures?

So they're instrinsically trouble, then?

Is every question you ask a loaded question, yes?
    the_syco wrote: »
    Read five of the latest posts. jimmi10; IMO, if you take a group of people from a sh|thole, and put them together, they may continue to act like they're in a sh|thole, because they know no difference.

In the case of Paris, the foreigner workers were put into cities, and when the work finished, were fenced off from the rest of France. There are little to no facilities there, very little employment, so apart from crime there doesn't seem to be anything to do there. France built ghettos, and is now surprised that people with nothing to do sometimes turn to crime.

This is what was was forseen in the "Rivers of Blood" speech. Powell felt it was likely to happen and now it has. In many cities across the world.

Yup.

Was a community worker in Hackney when the Broadwater Farm riots kicked off (Hackney borders Haringay where Broadwater Farm is and the riots spilled over into Hackney) and I worked on an estate that those who have no idea what they are talking about would call 'a ghetto' - in actual fact we had about 50 nationalities ranging from English, Scottish, Welsh, Irish, Northern Irish ( 'British' and 'Irish'), Bengali, Pakistani, Greek, Turkish, Cypriot ('Greek' and 'Turkish'), West Indian (from various islands), Kurdish ('Turkish' and 'Libyan'), Indian ('Hindu', 'Muslim' and 'Sikh'), Vietnamese, Chinese etc etc etc.

In my 6 years there we had a grand total of four racially motivated incidents.

1. Some NF cowardly squib poured petrol through the letter box of a Bengali family and lit it. The flames blocked the only means of escape (the front door). The father of the 3 small children in the flat was seriously injured (3rd degree burns to large parts of his torso) due to breaking down the burning door to get his children out.

2. A woman (who was a known member of the BNP) claimed some 'black men' had attacked her on the canal towpath and pushed her toddler (strapped in a buggy) into the canal. The child was rescued by a jogger who cast doubt on the woman's story. CCTV revealed no other people were on the tow path - just the woman with her child and the jogger. Turned out she wanted to be rehoused as she didn't like living next to 'dirty blacks'. Her next door neighbour was the Lorraine I referred to earlier who was (still is) a highly respected pediatrics nurse.

3. As tenant advocate I informed the police of the activities of a heroin dealer who was selling to children operating out of one of the flats. I supplied a description and the flat number. The police set up a surveillance operation (ironically I allowed them to use my own flat which was directly across the estate) and when they had gathered enough evidence burst in and arrested the dealer. However, they also decided to burst into the flat of the dealer's next door neighbour on the grounds that they had observed 'several black men' entering and leaving the flat. The occupant of the flat was a young woman of West Indian origin who was in the process of bathing her two year old daughter when she felt the barrel of a gun pressed to the back of her head. The 'black men' observed entering and leaving her flat were her brothers and her father- a Baptist pastor. The heroin dealer was a white, middle aged Englishman.

4. An Irish traveler family was subjected to a 'dirty' campaign of harassment (a dirty campaign involves use of excrement). Despite complaints to the local area housing office no action was taken. In a casual conversation with me, one of the area managers referred to these 'effing filthy Micks who will be gone soon' (he did not know I am Irish). I complained him and investigation showed he was the ring leader of the campaign. The area manager was a white, middle aged Englishman.

Those are terrible incidents. It shows a community which is quite divided. This was predicted in the speech. If you put people of different cultures living in the same area, incidents such as the ones you mentioned will be inevitable. It's in human nature. We are often distrustful of others.
    What exactly is your point? The cops killed that man who was standing up to your Enoch pals.

Maybe there'd be less violence if there were less fascists and police brutality as opposed to "foreigners".

Do you share your views with your pals of different origins and cultures?

I think my point has been clear from the first post I made. My point is: I support a lot of what was said in the speech.

I don't share my views with friends I have with pals of different cultures and origins. I treat people as individuals, but at the same time I can acknowledge the dangers of mass immigration. Every thing in moderation is the best policy in my view.

Is every question (.....)thing in moderation is the best policy in my view.

So are immigrants automatically trouble?

Those are terrible incidents. It shows a community which is quite divided. This was predicted in the speech. If you put people of different cultures living in the same area, incidents such as the ones you mentioned will be inevitable. It's in human nature. We are often distrustful of others.

4 incident's in 6 years in an estate that had over 4000 residents shows a divided community by what stretch of the imagination? Unless it is in the fevered minds of those who are so insecure in their own identity that it is threatened by difference.

Thie estate which some people would call a ghetto and example of failed multiculturalism was the exact opposite.

It had an annual party for all of the residents where the residents fundraised to ensure all of the events -live bands, mini-funfair, food, creche etc were free of charge.

It held a monthly 'international' party where residents would cook dishes associated with their culture. Entry was free - you just had to bring a dish. It was all you can eat.

In the community centre residents ran classes in their native languages/cookery that were free. We couldn't keep up with the demand.

It was a community not a ghetto. Kids of all races and creeds played together, grew up together, went to school together.

A little village where the residents came from all corners of the globe and respected each other's differences and similarities. When outsiders tried to cause trouble -like pouring petrol though one of our letterboxes it was made very clear to them - by white English people - that that would not be tolerated in our village.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

When I moved back to Ireland my then 9 year old son found it very hard to settle simply because he found the mono-cultural, mono-religion of Irish society very hard to cope with. That and his teacher calling him a 'British b*stard' in front of his whole class.

Tell me that didn't happen in the last 30 years! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jorah

Whenever ever I see an English man, who would place his hand on his heart and praise the Empire, complain about immigration I do so laugh.

You have some foreigners in your country? For shame say I , but treat them well and you may just make up for Colonialism.

Why do I have to make up for colonialism?

Complete nonsense.

Regardless, mass migration will continue, tensions will increase, Ghettos start to exist and society for the working man decays.

Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭tiger55

latenia wrote: »
    I can only begin to imagine how sh1te Dublin would be now without the foreigners living here.

You are trolling...right?

• Advertisement
Advertisement