Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renovation or extension

Options
  • 25-09-2012 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭

Hi

I've had an offer on a house accepted. I know that I am a little way off to getting the keys.

I am sole purchaser and am single. So it's only me.

Having paid the deposit, I'll still have about €35k savings left.

Upstairs, I'll need to replace the bathroom and possibly put in an ensuite in the main bedroom. I'll change windows at the front, replace the front door and put up insulating boards on the inside. I'll have a look at the attic and see if I can convert it and insult it. With this, I may put in solar panels. These alone might cost 5k.

Downstairs, the only issue is the kitchen. It's tiny but in fine condition!!!!! I don't do much cooking anyway.

I know I could spend a lot of cash doing the above.

Second option, is to convert the garage and put an extension at the back. I have some experience and can do on the foundations with a little help from my dad. Get someone to do the walls and the roof.
    I'll be able to felt, batten and slate it. My dad would probably do the electrical work. I'll be doing the cosmetic work. I may need planning permission. I hope to stretch the €35k. Maybe I'm a bit optimistic!!!!I know that there is a lot that I am not taking into consideration.

I'd plan to take 2 weeks off work before x-mas and another two weeks in the new year. Depending on the weather.

Am I better to focus on renovating the house or am I better to get the extension done and take my time with the renovating.

I could wait till next april/may to do this. I'd have a couple of extra k to work with.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Attic conversions can be pricey compared to extensions. Do your maths with the solar panels to retrofit them the pay back is pretty poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

micar wrote: »
    Hi

I've had an offer on a house accepted. I know that I am a little way off to getting the keys.

I am sole purchaser and am single. So it's only me.

Having paid the deposit, I'll still have about €35k savings left.

Upstairs, I'll need to replace the bathroom and possibly put in an ensuite in the main bedroom. I'll change windows at the front, replace the front door and put up insulating boards on the inside. I'll have a look at the attic and see if I can convert it and insult it. With this, I may put in solar panels. These alone might cost 5k.

Downstairs, the only issue is the kitchen. It's tiny but in fine condition!!!!! I don't do much cooking anyway.

I know I could spend a lot of cash doing the above.

Second option, is to convert the garage and put an extension at the back. I have some experience and can do on the foundations with a little help from my dad. Get someone to do the walls and the roof.
    I'll be able to felt, batten and slate it. My dad would probably do the electrical work. I'll be doing the cosmetic work. I may need planning permission. I hope to stretch the €35k. Maybe I'm a bit optimistic!!!!I know that there is a lot that I am not taking into consideration.

I'd plan to take 2 weeks off work before x-mas and another two weeks in the new year. Depending on the weather.

Am I better to focus on renovating the house or am I better to get the extension done and take my time with the renovating.

I could wait till next april/may to do this. I'd have a couple of extra k to work with.

Thanks

Personally i think the winter is a crap time for putting up an extension , dark evenings, greater potential for poor weather , causing delays etc or damage to materials.

I would concentrate on internal renovation now, and look into insulating your walls either internally or externally as well as your attic. Dont just go off of your local builders advice etc, go away and get professional advice as to whats the best way to insulate your home.

Investing in your exisitng house would be my priority before starting extension work.

Solar panels ....... easy first question do you have a decently sized section of roof south facing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

If you live on your own, an ensuite is a waste. Unless you have an exceptionally large room you will either have to lose a room or make an existing room much too small and cramped. It is unlikely an ensuite can be installed without having to force piping into places it was never intended to go.
    The pay back on solar panels is poor and they are improving all the time. What is the point in paying out thousands of euro and losing attic storage and compromising the roof just to save a few hundred a year on hot water? You first priority should be to ensure the basic structure is sound. Roof, windows, wiring, piping, floor timbers and that there is no damp. After that look at bathroom and kitchen. After that think about decoration.
    Only look at an extension when you are sure you need it, it is a good design that does not get in the way of a potentially better extension in the future and it will genuinely add to the house. Some extensions turn an existing room in the house into a throughway meaning there is no real gain.

Advertisement