Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB loan

Options
  • 25-09-2012 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

If AIB call you out of the blue to ask if you'd like to apply for a loan or credit card, and you think sure, I can afford loan repayments and I do in fact have some large purchases coming up that a loan could assist with, and the lady on the phone does a quick application for you and tells you they'll inform you within 48 hours... My question is, if it's the bank who calls you to ask if you'd like to apply for financing, does that mean you're already kind of pre-approved and getting the loan officially approved is just a formality?

I ask because I haven't been in Ireland long and I was pretty certain I had no credit history to speak of, so are they just ringing random customers for the purpose of getting a few applications and I'm just wasting my time (and having a failed loan application on record) because I'm going to be declined anyway due to the lack of credit history?

It's all a bit random to me. I've never had a bank call me before asking if I want to apply for stuff. I am in need of a loan so it would be handy, but I've been so sure I would never get one so instead I've been watching the pennies and saving to pay for my upcoming purchases.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

newtotown wrote: »
    If AIB call you out of the blue to ask if you'd like to apply for a loan or credit card, and you think sure, I can afford loan repayments and I do in fact have some large purchases coming up that a loan could assist with, and the lady on the phone does a quick application for you and tells you they'll inform you within 48 hours... My question is, if it's the bank who calls you to ask if you'd like to apply for financing, does that mean you're already kind of pre-approved and getting the loan officially approved is just a formality?

I ask because I haven't been in Ireland long and I was pretty certain I had no credit history to speak of, so are they just ringing random customers for the purpose of getting a few applications and I'm just wasting my time (and having a failed loan application on record) because I'm going to be declined anyway due to the lack of credit history?

It's all a bit random to me. I've never had a bank call me before asking if I want to apply for stuff. I am in need of a loan so it would be handy, but I've been so sure I would never get one so instead I've been watching the pennies and saving to pay for my upcoming purchases.

I thought consumer legislation banned unsolicited offers of credit ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 newtotown

I thought consumer legislation banned unsolicited offers of credit ?

Did it? I don't know. Does it count as an offer of credit if they're just asking me if I'd like to apply, no guarantees I'll get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

newtotown wrote: »
    Did it? I don't know. Does it count as an offer of credit if they're just asking me if I'd like to apply, no guarantees I'll get it?

They wont do it, its illegal to do that.

Anyone wrote: »
    They wont do it, its illegal to do that.

They did do it. I had the call this evening. That's what I'm asking. Sorry if I was unclear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Are you sure it was AIB and not some scammer getting all your details?

• Advertisement

jameshayes wrote: »
    Are you sure it was AIB and not some scammer getting all your details?

Yeah, I'm sure. They didn't ask for my details. Asked if all my details on file were still correct and just pulled from there.

Odd situation. Guess I'll just wait to see. But I definitely did not give them a single detail other than to confirm how long I had been in my current employment and if I wanted to purchase payment protection as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭i_steal_sheep

AIB called me on Thursday last, and plain as day asked me to apply for a mortgage. I got the "account in good standing", "good savings history" line and asked would I like to make an appointment with my relationship banker or whatever she was called to go through the application with me. Completely out of the blue too. I said 'no thanks' but I still got brochures in the post from them and the ladies card too. So yes, they are cold calling!

Advertisement