Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its about time - 10 Green Bottles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Mon 15/10/12 - Rest Day

Tues 16/10/12 - Tempo Run
    0:10 easy, 0:30 @ 4:52/km, 0:10 easy

0:50, 10.06km, 4:58/km, avg 149bpm :o
    Legs felt heavy and lifeless and was laboured overall even though only at MP :o
    Presume I'll bounce back in a day or so

Out for an easy 10km yesterday as per the plan and a gradual hamstring small ache became an niggle became an injury out of nowhere :(. Tried stopping to stretch it out but no joy. Tried walking for a bit but no joy. Couldn't run 5m on it. Had to walk 3km home. Hope its just a knot or a small thing :o. Had a hot bath last night and tried stretching it out. Hoped it would be gone this morning but still there. I'm waiting on word back from a physio re a slot asap. A week before DCM :mad: I've been trying to take it easy on the runs all week and deliberately slowed down. My legs felt like bursting so didn't think it would manifest itself like this. Feck :mad: Really hope its just something small and will snap back quickly :(

I've been following the training plan to the letter.

Wed 17/10/12 0:50 easy
    Thurs 18/10/12 0:50 intervals - 0:10 wu, 5 x 800m @ 4:52, 2 x 1km @4:52
    Fri 19/10/12 0:45 easy
    Sat 20/10/12 1:40 easy (@ 5:30/km pace)
    Sun 21/10/12 0:55 easy = injury :mad:

Not happy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

hopefully it is just taper madness kicking in,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Sounds strange - usually whenever I pulled a hamstring you would know it straight away. Had you a cramp at any stage, I often got a cramp that took 2 days to loosen up. Hopefully you will get good news from the physio!

catweazle wrote: »
    Sounds strange - usually whenever I pulled a hamstring you would know it straight away. Had you a cramp at any stage, I often got a cramp that took 2 days to loosen up. Hopefully you will get good news from the physio!

Hmmmmmmmmm - it is a cramp like aftermath. My legs were definitely acting up when I was forcing myself to go slow so there could be something like that alright :o Still getting it checked out asap :)

Madness - what madness :confused: :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Could easily be the above, don't stress you will get it sorted.

Could easily be the above, don't stress you will get it sorted.

+1 - think its only something minor

Spoke with the Physio and have an appointment for first thing in the morning. Icing in progress along with Arnica and Ibufrofen. Just need my teddybear and soother now and it'll all be ok. Think I might ring my mammy to come over also just to be on the safe side :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

All the best with it Red - you've certainly laid down the foundations, so hopefully you'll be all set come Monday.

Looking forward to the 3 week report:)

Legs still not right :(

Went to the physio on Tues and my hamstring was in spasm in 3 locations probably due to back issues probably due to a heavy days driving around the country last week and driving a desk the rest of the time. He worked both the back and leg and advised stretches for both and said to try a short run Fri (today).

Mon 22/10 - Rest
    Tues 23/10 - Rest - Physio vist
    Wed 24/10 - Rest - Calves starting to cramp, lock up
    Thurs 25/10 - Rest - Calves still locked, cramping, difficulty walking, hamstring easing
    Fri 26/10 - 20min easy run. 3.5km @ 5:56/km.
    Couldn't even stand up properly when I first got geared up, had to massage calves for few minutes before heading out and then had to sit down on bench and gently stretch them again between back door and front gate. A mixture of walking on eggshells and broken glass as they were misfiring like crazy. Slowly, carefully started to trot and managed it without any serious hamstring issues. The calves were as tight as a drum throughout. There was a gentle pull on the hamstring near the end that came to nothing but the calves are still going ballistic. I'm putting that down to lack of running more than anything else. They're used to moving and can't handle not.
    I can barely walk as a result of the cramping calves so I'm not sure what way this is going to pan out. I'm heading to Dublin anyway with my gear and I'll see how things develop. I'll try to get some more short, gentle runs in Sat and Sun before deciding then if Thunderbirds are go for DCM on Mon :o

hopefully you will get to the start line, do you have any complression socks etc to try and and reduce the cramping ?

• Advertisement

BennyMul wrote: »
    hopefully you will get to the start line, do you have any complression socks etc to try and and reduce the cramping ?

Good idea BM, hadn't thought of that. I have some so will be doing that ASAP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Oh, this stinks!! Well, novenas and rosary beads always help for Marthastew, so I may have to light a few candles and break out the beads for you in hopes that by Monday you'll be good as new! (;), ;)) I'd be lying if I said I wasn't secretly hoping you'd go sub 3:25, but you've got plenty of time and other races to hit that target. Mind your legs....and trust your gut on what to do. I'll be keeping tabs on you with fingers (and toes) crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Compression socks are a good Idea but dont do damage to yourself...you've already done an ironman this year.. its only Dublin Marathon, it will still be there next year and the year after, take care of yourself!!! If your body is telling you not to race or if its telling you to stop during the race then you know what to do .............................................. that said I really need to practise what i preach, I'd be at the start with you regardless of the dodgy calves if it was me..:confused: oh well.. whatever you decide to do make sure you have a few drinks Monday night!!!:D:D

Best of luck Red, lets hope to see some more showboating fireworks crossing the finish line tomorrow. Don't do the Mobot though (everyone is doing that now)

Trig1 wrote: »
    Compression socks are a good Idea but dont do damage to yourself...you've already done an ironman this year.. its only Dublin Marathon, it will still be there next year and the year after, take care of yourself!!! If your body is telling you not to race or if its telling you to stop during the race then you know what to do .............................................. that said I really need to practise what i preach, I'd be at the start with you regardless of the dodgy calves if it was me..:confused: oh well.. whatever you decide to do make sure you have a few drinks Monday night!!!:D:D

Will be using compression socks, calfguards and tape but I'll be on the start line!
    Big appointment Tues so no drinks Monday night :)

Best of luck Red, lets hope to see some more showboating fireworks crossing the finish line tomorrow. Don't do the Mobot though (everyone is doing that now)
    Thanks but it might involve a bit of moonwalking if this hamstring goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

RedB wrote: »
    Will be using compression socks, calfguards and tape but I'll be on the start line!
    Big appointment Tues so no drinks Monday night :)

All the best Red - you've an hour head start...:)

Izoard wrote: »

All the best Red - you've an hour head start...:)
    Yeah but I'm with a pacer called jackyback for a reason! I'll keep you in mind!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Best of luck. Look forward to the report! :pac:

Gun time 3:48:14 less another minute for chip. Struggled from early on to stay with the 3:30 pacers with high HR but kept with them until 16.5M and then hit the wall and had to shuffle for a few miles. Legs were cramping by then so I was forced to stop a few times while all the time looking over my shoulder for the 3:45 pacers. Garmin was askew as it couldn't pick up a signal at the start so it only kicked in after 5-6 minutes so I wasn't paying much heed to it. Pushed on through the cramps over the last few miles and was satisfied to stay ahead of 3:45 group......until I got to finish line and saw my time. Duffus had forgotten it was a wave start and they had 5 minutes on me :(. Disappointed with that but happy I got round all things considered.

• Advertisement

Considering you almost didn't make it to the start line, well done!! You weren't the only one out there having leg cramps, seems it must've been something in the water. ;) Now get thee to a pub and start celebrating the year you've had, because you've a few amazing accomplishments in your hat!! :)

Not to worry Red a long years training for you, drop the distance down and get the speed up. You will enjoy the change

Sub 70 attempt in Clarinbridge 10 mile next march perhaps ;)

I will be ready for a barney with you in Kilkee next year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Congrats on a brave effort!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Hey Red you soldiered through. Knew you were in trouble tracking you towards the end. You put in a huge effort for IMAT and I know it was an age ago it must seem at this point but I cannot underestimate the residual effect of such an effort... Relax for a few weeks now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Well done Red for toughing it out today, it was good to meet you before the off. Recover well and hopefully you will get to the bottom of what was going on with the cramping in the legs.

Fair play Red its tuff to miss the goal time; the season is over now to relax and be merry,
    sorry I missed you at the start wanted to ersonally wish you good luck,

Well, the dust has settled a bit but my legs are still in bits. Worse than IMAT which was more of a deep tired feeling and I've struggled to get proper sleep the last 2 nights with aches and shooting pains and so I've had a chance to reflect on the day.
    I was only about 75% right at the start line and I went for the full monty of compression socks, calf gaurds and basic kinesio tape to try and hold myself together. Well, that worked but at a price. I was afraid of a catastrophic type failure or injury and I had visions beforehand of pulling up injured at several potential locations along the course and even carried the taxi fare with me for that eventuality. While the hamstring and calves generally behaved themselves I knew from early on that I was working too hard, my heart rate was too high and wasn't coming down. My target zone was 80-85% HRMax which equates to 140-150bpm but I was operating at 155bpm even for the first several miles (88%). I knew that if I wanted to run a sustainable race that I had to ease back immediately to the proper HR zone and maintain it. I knew that if I kept my HR at that level I was going to blow. And of course I did. But I also knew that I had done the training and I wanted to red line it for as long as I could and not just sit up. I suppose the trick would have been to find the optimal sustainable pace but I was conflicted in also trying to PB (3:42). I went for the not very sensible option of sucking it up and working on mental strength but that can only take you so far before the body overrides it. Its funny how the body handles itself in terms of its most efficient zone. I would have finished faster if I started slower and I knew that :rolleyes: I got about 30km in and then it was like the air just went out of my tyres and I slowed to a shuffle and everyone went by me. I was actually happy enough to have that happen as I knew it was coming and my Plan B was then to just not stop and shuffle through it. However even that wasn't possible at that stage and I started cramping up and had to pull up several times. I knew this would probably ease up and that my family were waiting around the 35km so I held it together as much as possible and pushed on through the pain which I'm actually satisfied that I did on some level. Now I have more appreciation for what the more serious punters are really talking about. Of course I'm used to a certain high enough level of discomfort but I don't normally operate for that long in pain. It was a good lesson on that front.

Anywhoo, in terms of the nitty gritty this is the picture of a running into a wall.

KM - HR
    4:58 148
    4:57 150
    4:59 153
    4:54 156
    4:49 155
    4:51 155
    4:56 155
    4:50 154
    4:59 155
    4:44 154
    4:47 152
    4:46 150
    4:50 148
    5:02 150
    4:52 153
    4:49 154
    4:53 154
    4:58 154
    4:58 155
    4:58 156
    4:59 155
    4:50 157
    4:54 157
    4:54 156
    5:01 158
    4:54 157
    5:02 157
    5:10 154
    5:15 151
    5:48 150
    6:10 147
    6:23 147
    6:53 140
    5:49 143
    6:31 137
    6:08 141
    6:43 140
    6:04 142
    6:43 136
    6:47 141
    5:53 146
    5:53 149

I missed the first few minutes with the Garmin so only recorded 41.85km, 3:43:39, 5:21/km, 149bpm

In terms of HR the above is way off what I was doing 2 weeks ago so something was still off
    RedB wrote: »

Sun 14/10/12 Long Run

The plan and the reality pretty much was 60mins @ 5:20/km, 60mins @ 5:00/km and 50mins @ 4:45/km and I just about nailed it.

.... through 11.1km in 60mins @ 5:24/km and 130bpm. .... The next hour was slightly more of a challange but hit 12.1km in 60mins @ 4:58/km and 137bpm. .... The last 50mins were as follows:

KM Splits / HR
    4:43 142
    4:48 143
    4:40 140
    4:41 141
    4:44 143
    4:41 145
    4:44 146
    4:39 145
    4:45 147
    4:43 149
    4:38 150 (0.8KM)

Anyway, a bit wiser but no green bottles to show for it.

Had hoped for a PB even if 3:30 wasn't on but all things considered I was glad to do what I did.
    Just need more training the next time :)

unluckly monday but congrats on pushing through,

take a few days\weeks off to really recover and then start knowcking them bottles.
    the 3:30 is well within you.

I suspect for most (probably not for all - but for most), to get really serious about putting down an ambitious marathon time it will take more dedication to running and less focus on tri work for the duration of a particular 18 to 24 week marathon training plan. As a wise man once told me, there is no substitute for specificity. Nice, honest report - one we all can relate to on some level. You've had a heck of a year, and I mean that in a good way. :)

• Advertisement

Tues 30/10 - Rest / Recovery. Legs like planks
    Wed 31/10 - Rest / Recovery. Legs still gonzo
    Thurs 01/11 - Easy recovery run home from work.
    6.46km, 0:37:16, 5:46/km, 148bpm
    Life coming back into the legs.
    Fri 02/11 - Easy run into work
    6.37km, 0:35:00, 5:30/km, 138bpm

Should have done more some stretching at the finish area of DCM and tried some active recovery on following days to help the body bounce back instead of just sitting around. Haven't been near a pool in months so need to get that ball rolling in some shape or form and that would've been a good excuse to start. I don't really like swimming but that's probably because I don't have the patience to focus on technique and build swim fitness at the same time. I need to sort that out this winter.

Advertisement