Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its about time - 10 Green Bottles

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Sat 03/11/12 Aero Run
    11km, 55:45, 5:04/km, 147bpm
    Noticed when I was running to/from work the other day that I shortened my stride to minimize my small backpack bouncing but my foot turnover increased so I concentrated on doing that again for half this run. Counted 85 strides per minute in normal gait. Might try to concentrate on increasing normal turnover as I noticed that it was higher on brick runs too.

Sun 04/11/12 Short Slow Run :rolleyes:
    10km, 55:58, 5:35/km, 137bpm
    Was in Kerry for the weekend and got dropped at the Mother's on the way home with the intention of running the rest of the way home via an extended route for a 1.5hr run. Ended up chinwagging for longer than anticipated so just did the direct route but had the backpack also with about 5kg in it.

I started monitoring my meals on a Calorie Counter app during the week and I can clearly see now why my weight stays where it is. While I don't drink much alcohol or eat too much junk food or sweet stuff, I do eat big enough portions of regular food. Portion control starts now :o Two weeks of tapering pre DCM and a recovery week with poor discipline mean I've put weight back on and am back to 87.4kg. 2 Kids birthdays, Halloween and 2 weekends away didn't help so its time to start getting back on the wagon.

I have actually been doing a bit of training recently, I just haven't had a chance to log it :rolleyes:

w/c 5/11/12 Summary - Aero Run, Medium Run, "Swim"
    Wed 7/11/12 Aero Run 8.47km, 44:30, 5:06/km,142bpm
    Thurs 8/11/12 Med Run 15.25km, 1:17:21, 5:04/km, 135bpm
    Sun 11/11/12 Approx 1000m swim, (200m WU, 5x100m, 300m? WD with fins) shocking bad :eek:
    First swim in months in a hotel pool. Ached, gasped and groaned my way to the end. Terrible :o

w/c 7/11/12 Summary - Aero, Tempo, Interval, Long Runs, Swim, Long Cycle
    Mon 12/11/12 Aero Run 9.53km, 48:00, 5:02/km, 142bpm
    Tues 13/11/12 1000m swim.(200m WU, 5x100m off 3min :eek:, 300m WD with fins). Ached, gasped and groaned my way to the end. Truly awful :o
    Wed 14/11/12 Tempo run 15:03km, 1:14:28, 4:57/km, 144bpm
    Thurs 15/11/12 Rest - Travel with Work
    Fri 16/11/12 Interval Run 9:35km, 45:01, 4:49/km, 144bpm.
    2km WU, 1km@3:59/km, 3km aero, 1km@3:44/km, WD
    Travel with Work. Went to pool later but closed for competition :(
    Sat 17/11/12 Long Run 18.23km, 1:31:37, 5:02/km, 140bpm
    Sun 18/11/12 Long Cycle 63.28km, 2:31:54, 25kph, 109bpm. First cycle in weeks.

w/c 19/12/12 Summary Aero, Tempo, Interval, Long Runs, 2x Swim
    Mon 19/11/12 Aero Run 12:44km, 1:06:10, 5:19/km, 141bpm. Tired, sluggish :o
    Tues 20/11/12 1000m swim.(200m WU, 5x100m off 3min :eek:, 300m WD with fins). Ached and gasped my way to the end.
    Wed 21/11/12 Interval Run 12:45km, 1:03:08, 5:04/km, 145bpm
    2km WU, 1km@3:56/km, 3km aero, 1km@3:53/km, 3km aero, 1km@3:56/km, WD
    Thurs 22/11/12 1200m swim.(200m WU, 7x100m off 3min :o, 300m WD with fins). Gasped my way to the end. Travel with Work.
    Fri 23/11/12 Tempo Run, 12:44km, 59:59 :), 4:49/km, 149bpm
    Sat 24/11/12 Long Run, 18.32km, 1:34:43, 5:10/km, 136bpm V Cold
    Sun 25/11/12 Rest. Skipped the am cycle slot as I thought it would be like glass out there and didn't get a chance to get out later. Feel the better of the rest though :rolleyes:

So, after a few short months of DCM marathon training that involved no swimming or cycling, I'm trying to get back into them. Big mountain to climb but babysteps is the plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

That was 4 swim sessions with 3 x :eek: s and 3 x :o s. Looks like we've got our work cut out for us! ;)

W/C 26/11/12 Run Summary Aero, Interval, Tempo, Long Run, 10k race

Mon 26/11/12 Aero Run 12.41km, 1:04:41, 5:12/km, 137bpm
    Tues 27/11/12 Rest
    Wed 28/11/12 Interval Run 15.25km, 1:14:15, 4:52/km, 147bpm
    2km WU, 1km @ 3:56
    2km aero, 1km @ 4:02
    2km aero, 1km @ 3:54
    2km aero, 1km @ 3:48
    3km+ WD @ 5:00/km
    Thurs 29/11/12 Rest
    Fri 30/11/12 Tempo Run 15.25km, 1:10:17, 4:36/km
    Sat 01/12/12 Long Run 23.42km, 2:03:02, 5:11/km
    Sun 02/12/12 10km Birdhill Turkey Run 10.13km, 0:43:22 :), 4:16/km +WU

A satisfactory run week but a complete no show for swim/cycle :o I just didn't push them as I wanted to focus on the running but that's not good enough. I should be able to get some sessions in. Happy with the way my pace is picking up and a PB today after a tiring week was nice. A long day Saturday with a late night didn't tee me up well for the race and I only decided to do it for sure less than an hour before. It was a good race for me albeit in the deep orange/red zone a lot plus I managed to reel in a few scalps when I was suffering so happy that the mental strength is improving as going outside my comfort zone must be a weakness that I overcome. HRM strap battery died during the week and I didn't get a replacement yet hence no HR data for later runs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Congrats on the PB!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Nice running alright - my eyebrows raised when I saw the pace of those tempo runs. Well done on the PB but I think you will go faster yet

* Must make note of avoiding any races you are doing for the next while or I will be on the scalped list as well

Congrats Red!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Nice PB there Red.

By the way do you swim in UL?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Congrats Red, a nice way to end a good year.

Solobally8 wrote: »
    Nice PB there Red.

By the way do you swim in UL?

<cough> yes (in the loosest sense of the word)

• Advertisement

I've just started going there every now and then on a Saturday evening. I'm loving the 50 m pool but my 100m time is much slower than in a 25m pool.

So, I was going to do another epic post with tales of woe and triumph but I don't have a whole lot of time for meaty posts at the minute. Bottom line is my Limerick office closed at Xmas and I've been commuting to our Dublin office since then. December was mental at work and I did exactly zero training for 3 weeks. Managed a couple of short easy runs over the holidays and then the six hour daily commute started. Our office is in Nutgrove near Rathfarnham so I either run or cycle the 8km there from Heuston but usually get a lift or run/bus/cycle back as the day dictates. I've gotten a few cycles in at the weekends but very hit or miss depending on the family schedule. Mrs B is doing a course so it's extra busy at home also. I've gotten over the initial shock to the system of the new arrangement and am going to try and start putting a bit of shape on the "training" I am doing starting 1st Feb. No swimming on the agenda but half thinking of doing the Keeper Challenge in March if I can get some hillwork done. Plus my Garmin is acting up so I need to sort that out. Anyways enough of the rambling. More proper stuff to follow next time :-)

RedB wrote: »
    So, I was going to do another epic post with tales of woe and triumph but I don't have a whole lot of time for meaty posts at the minute. Bottom line is my Limerick office closed at Xmas and I've been commuting to our Dublin office since then. December was mental at work and I did exactly zero training for 3 weeks. Managed a couple of short easy runs over the holidays and then the six hour daily commute started. Our office is in Nutgrove near Rathfarnham so I either run or cycle the 8km there from Heuston but usually get a lift or run/bus/cycle back as the day dictates. I've gotten a few cycles in at the weekends but very hit or miss depending on the family schedule. Mrs B is doing a course so it's extra busy at home also. I've gotten over the initial shock to the system of the new arrangement and am going to try and start putting a bit of shape on the "training" I am doing starting 1st Feb. No swimming on the agenda but half thinking of doing the Keeper Challenge in March if I can get some hillwork done. Plus my Garmin is acting up so I need to sort that out. Anyways enough of the rambling. More proper stuff to follow next time :-)

Chez Izoard is only around the corner from your Dublin location, so if you are ever stuck overnight/ around for an evening run/whatever, let me know.

So the 1st Feb rolled around and it was Mini-Me's 7th Birthday so it was heavy on the sweet junk and no exercise :o. The following day was much better though and I finally got a long run in on a beautiful morning before Mrs B had to head off to look after her sick Mum and that was the end of my weekend's endeavors. I did some commuting runs during the week and managed a semi-decent comeback weekend with long run Sat am and 2.5hr spin Sun am. Better than nothing and feeling the benefit of it :rolleyes:

01/02/13 - UNRest (Kids Party :eek:)
    02/02/13 - LSR (01:23 - 15K?)
    03/02/13 - Rest
    04/02/13 - 8km cycle
    05/02/13 - 8km run
    06/02/13 - Rest
    07/02/13 - 8km run
    08/02/13 - 8km run + 8km cycle
    09/02/13 - LSR (01:40 18-19km?)
    10/02/13 - Cycle (02:30 65-70km?)

Bumped into a Tri Training Camp group at UL as I was about to head off on my Sat run so I jumped in with them for an hour as they warmed up. Got chatting to a few familiar heads and some new ones. Really passed the time nicely :)

Mon 11/2 2x8km commute runs
    Tues 12/2 1x8km run
    Wed 13/2 Rest. Dropped my 10 and 13 year old girls to track run training in the pi$$ing rain. Felt very guilty heading home to the warm stove to put feet up :o Drowned rats were back an hour later laughing. Very proud :)
    Thurs 14/2 2hour run. 22km?. Staying up in Dublin on a course so ran from Donnybrook to Cabinteely up to Foxrock and back N11. Started nice but got very very cold when I finished and popped into Tesco express for nutrition :(. Legs felt it over the last 5km

Fri 15/2/13 - 10km easy run
    Sat 16/2/13 - Brick - 90min cycle followed by 20min run.
    Dropped No 2 to Hockey at UL and straight out to Keeper Hill and back on the bike and then a riverbank run while waiting for No1 to finish her hockey training (while MrsB had done the collect No 2 /drop No 1 run in between - nice system when it works :)). Had hoped to fit the run in on Keeper Hill but it took me longer to get out there than I hoped (50mins) so I just turned but the return leg of 40mins showed me that I'd misjudged the headwind :rolleyes: Also had an encounter with a huge Alsatian at Keeper who took a skelp out of me while I was just heading on the poor road from the Equestrian Center to the Trailhead :( .
    My first brick since IMAT :p

Sun 17/2/13 - Rest
    Mon 18/2/13 - 8KM Cycle/8km run (Commute)
    Tues 19/2/13 - 8KM run with the intention of reversing it later. :) Nice day for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

RedB wrote: »
    Fri 15/2/13 - 10km easy run
    Sat 16/2/13 - Brick - 90min cycle followed by 20min run.
    Dropped No 2 to Hockey at UL and straight out to Keeper Hill and back on the bike and then a riverbank run while waiting for No1 to finish her hockey training (while MrsB had done the collect No 2 /drop No 1 run in between - nice system when it works :)). Had hoped to fit the run in on Keeper Hill but it took me longer to get out there than I hoped (50mins) so I just turned but the return leg of 40mins showed me that I'd misjudged the headwind :rolleyes: Also had an encounter with a huge Alsatian at Keeper who took a skelp out of me while I was just heading on the poor road from the Equestrian Center to the Trailhead :( .
    My first brick since IMAT :p

Sun 17/2/13 - Rest
    Mon 18/2/13 - 8KM Cycle/8km run (Commute)
    Tues 19/2/13 - 8KM run with the intention of reversing it later. :) Nice day for it.

Hope that alsatian isn't around on the day of the race!!

Falling behind again

Wed 20/02/13 - Rest
    Thur 21/02/13 - Travel to Wexford with work
    Fri 22/02/13 - 8km run commute
    Sat 23/03/13 - 75km cycle + 5km run Keeper Hill to recce the course
    Cycled out to Newport and met up with the local group and did the Keeper cycle route followed by a failed attempt to run some of the hill. Went off the front of the cycle with another guy who was a local veteran from last year and had cycled and run the route a few times already this season. Happy to stick with him but he pulled away going up the big hill. I'd brought my old road bike and was grateful for the granny ring. I didn't know where it was coming so got a shock when i turned the corner and saw the wall in front of me :eek:. He pulled away further as I slowly recovered but waited up for me a few km further on. We both jumped off the bikes for the run but I was walking after a few minutes and not happy. Not knowing the route I took the first left turn thinking I was doing the small loop but it was the dead end to the mass rock so that made it a very short run. Cycled home alone feeling very disillusioned about my prospects. :(
    Sun 24/02/13 Rest
    Mon 25/02/13 8km run commute
    Tues 26/02/13 Travel to Wexford with work
    Wed 27/02/13 8km run commute
    Thurs 28/02/13 5km race
    MrsB suggested I take her normal slot at the UL Boat Club 5km race series as she had other plans that night. I ran 20mins there slowly as a warmup and did a bit of stretching beforehand which I rarely have the luxury of. There was a nice crowd knocking about and with a minimum of fanfare someone said ready steady go and off we galloped. I wasn't sure about the pace so keep it steady the whole way but was reeling people in the whole time. I passed about 10 and was satisfied to be mentally dismissing them as I passed rather than having any doubts about my pace or them coming back at me. I was in good control the whole way before unloading for the last 400m. Amazed to see a new PB of 20:21 on the stopwatch (officially 20:24 :rolleyes:) as I can't ever recall coming close to that. Very very happy with myself after and feeling the benefits of the commuting runs while laden down with a laptop and gearbag. :)
    Fri 01/03/13 - Rest
    Sat 02/03/13 - Spring-cleaning the house and garden with family coming to stay so took one for the team :p
    Sun 03/03/13 - Keeper Hill Run
    Had wanted to do this the day before so cashed in my brownie points and drove out early to Keeper. Took it nice and easy after last weeks walking fiasco and slowly chugged up it with a lot of heavy breathing. Was constrained by time so had to turn after 45mins but very happy to make the hairpin bend above the tree line without stopping. The 30mins descent was fun and seemed to be a free fall experience without any leg issues. Met some lads heading up as I got down at 9am. Lovely morning for it :) Got home with a big smile and a spring in my step.
    Off to Tralee for the rest of the day.
    Mon 04/03/13 - 8km run commute

Nice 5k time - the mythical sub 20 beckons this year if you can keep it up!

+1 on the time sir, and with f all training :D is this the first of the green bottles to drop.

• Advertisement

Tues 05/03/13 Rest - Working in Thurles and then called into Nenagh where No 1 was competing at the Munster Schools Indoors. She won her 60m heat but crashed out in the semis but her relay team won the 4x200m relay

Wed 06/03/13 Rest - I play cards with BB on a Monday night but am probably going to have it give it up as I'm just wreaked from it after the early start :o My head is still fuzzy 2 days later :( I've had to give being the main leader at Cubs this week too as I was being pulled all over the place trying to arrange stuff, family life and commute.:( Not the way I want to be living.) Should've got a run in today as I know I'd have felt the better of it but on the backfoot and missed it.

Thurs 07/03/13 Long Run 1:30
    Decided to stayover in Dublin for work so arranged to meet Izoard for an evening run. After 3 weeks of dry weather it decided to rain cats and dogs but we made the most of it. Nice run around the highways and byways of Rathfarnham and Dundrum. We'd never met properly before apart from a shout-out at DCM a few years ago so I didn't want to abort because of the rain after making the arrangement. An absolute gent and an enjoyable run despite the conditions. Plenty of other hardy bodies out there too so can't complain.

Fri 08/03/13 Rest - felt a bit heavy in the legs and was thinking I probably hadn't prepared my lead in to Keeper Challenge very well and hoping the weather would clear up a bit. Still cool and damp.

Sat 10/03/13 Keeper Challenge
    Woke up to a lovely morning and had to rethink my gear. Unsure of how wet or cold it would be on top of Keeper so decided to go with tri shorts, a winter base layer and cycling jacket. Even then I felt under dressed compared to some of the outfits on view later. Turned out I was overdressed as the cloud lifted from the summit during the morning and it turned into a glorious spring day. I bumped into MCOS when I arrived in Newport an hour before the start and was surprised he was doing the full thing as I thought he was on injury alert. He was planning on taking it handy (and still probably come in the top 10 :P). Well organised setup in the local school hall and plenty of locals involved. MCOS introduced me to Trig1 who was definitely not in the "Fat and unfit" category that I normally interact with :) Good atmosphere and plenty of time between the race briefing and the start to get ready. Should have used that time for a final trip to the W.C. instead of chatting to the lads but left it too late :rolleyes: It was a neutalised start through the town which was a new one on me but it made sense when we ground to a halt at the first junction. We got moving again and passed an 'official' start line with clock on the outskirts of town and off we went at a decent pace from the start. It felt strange to be 'near' the front (i.e. I could see it!) at that stage but it didn't last for long. There was a bit of position jostling for the first few minutes and then I realised that I should be drafting. I sat on a few wheels on the drag out to Killoscully and took my turn as well but we splintered after a while. I pulled in one or two positions and then got into a bit of back-and-forth with a few guys. I was strong enough despite very limited cycling this year and not having been on the bike in two weeks. However my bike handling skills were poor on any downhills and I lost ground there especially after the turn onto the poor road. I had an Isodrink with me that I was availing of from time to time and was happy to finish with over the first hour. The splintered group came back together on the hills and 7-8 hit the big hill in a small pack. I was really glad I'd done the course beforehand because it really kicked open the group. We struggled up in in silence and I got over the top in 3rd and happy with myself and made and lost another 1-2 positions over the next few KM. I went through 25km bang on the hour mark and high tailed it down to the Equestrian Centre/Transition in a satisfactory 1.25hrs where there was something very unusual (for me) awaiting. The penny dropped after a few seconds.........its not full.........its not even half full.......... There's only about 20 bikes there :eek: So this is what it feels like to be in the top half of a race :cool:!! I hit the portaloo (relief :D), change from my bike shoes into my runners which I've been carrying in a small backpack and hit the trail. Surprisingly my legs feel ok and I pass a guy before we even make the trees. Baby steps, baby steps, deep breaths. I chug an Isogel and steady myself for a long uphill haul. I get passed soon enough but am happy to be moving forward. The weather is glorious and I'm warming up. Its tough going but steady. I get passed again and start to keep score. In the very end its 7-3 against but I'm happy enough with that given my lack of hill (and other) training. I'm really struggling by the time I make the top of the shorter loop and am making promises to myself about 'keep going to that tree', 'keep going to that rock' etc. My left hamstring suddenly thinks about starting to cramp when I hit a flat section and I force myself to relax and try to run it off. Its touch and go but I keep moving. Eventually I get to within 90% of where I ran last week when fresh and am forced to walk. The other strange thing is that I keep waiting for the front runners to appear on their way down but they're not appearing :) Very strange :rolleyes: I hit a water station and take on a regular gel and 500ml water. Eventually as I'm on the final uphill 1.5KM the leader appears and I'm amazed that I'm so close. I fall in behind another guy and run/walk to the top meeting MCOS on his descent during one of my run sections and feeling very proud of myself. Trig1 goes by a few minutes later and they're all saying the summit is close and then finally there it is. The view is amazing. We hit the control point and get our wristbands and I figure its about the 2:15 mark and I can't believe I've made such good progress. I was hoping to do 3:30-3:45 :eek: Downhill is not as easy as I'd hoped and I've to keep the handbreak on for a lot of the first section which is a bit frustrating. Its my turn to give a shout out to others coming up and I'm passed by a guy who's well able for downhills. My legs are locking up a bit at this stage and I have to stop on 1-2 short inclines built into the descent. I get moving a bit better back on the downhill section of short loop as its easier on the legs and pull in the original guy I was tracking but then another guy appears and passes. The final bottom section is hard going even though its mainly flat or slightly downhill and I'm struggling. I have to walk up part of the hill to the equestrian centre which pi$$es me off as I don't want to give up any more positions. Back on the bike and try to get the legs moving. I think there might be someone close behind me so I push it as hard as I can but refuse to look back. Its only 6km back to Newport so it comes quick enough and thankfully the finish line beckons. I can't believe the clock as it shows 3:09:5x but my own watch confirms it WOW I'm chuffed. Very very satisfied with that. Not sure officially what my result was yet but I'm going guess close to 30's. Whatever it is, its definitely the highest I've placed in decades so I'm well pleased with that. Yeah yeah I know it wasn't Kona but just let bask here for a millisecond ;)............ok over :D

Sun 10/03/13 Rest. Took MrsB, my mother, my mother-in-law and the kids to the Woodlands in Adare for their Mothers Day all-you-can-eat buffet and ate my weight in food. Happy as.........:pac:

Very well done RedB!! And loved your report! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Excellent report Red, hope mine is as good when i get around to it...nice meeting you..

The hot shot triathlete bullying the AR racers!

Congrats Reb great racing and result,

Great pics! No racks for the bikes?? :confused:

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Great pics! No racks for the bikes?? :confused:

Racks were out of shot for the 'Elite' race:)

Great result Red - serious looking course!

• Advertisement

Well done Red, great race. Enjoyed the report. Definitely on my list for next year.

Advertisement