Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

a bit of help here please with cider

Options
  • 25-09-2012 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

right iv been making cider with a while now and always seen to be missing something the FIZZ i know carbon drops work but what could i buy tomor in a local food store to do the same trick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

If you put regular sugar in just before bottling you will get fizz.

You just have to bottle reasonably soon after fermentation stops.

Basically further fermentation in the bottle is what creates the fizz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

What's your Starting Gravity/Final Gravity readings like? Maybe you don;t have enough sugar to start with !

Anyway...Brew sugar should do but hard to get from shops.. i think 'Next Door' off licences in Dublin have them..failing that....

>Table sugar is 'supposed' to give off flavours so I avoid
    >Splenda works fine (about 1 heaped teaspoon per 500ml bottle)
    >40mls of Pressed Apple juice (not from concentrate)

Could be the temp you leave it at too.. give it a shake after capping the bottle....store inside (around 18 degrees) for a few days so the priming sugar can act, then I usually leave it in the shed thereafter (about 20 degrees daytime , 1 degree at night!)

I also think certain Yeasts are supposed to be better for the fizz (Lalvin EC-118 usually for champagnes seems to be the best for me so far)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

(Afaik) Splenda is not fermentable, so will only achieve sweetening of the brew.

Pressed apple juice alone should have plenty of sugar for the actual brewing.

You could prime using more juice is another option...

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭chris2286

thanks for all the suggestions im gonna try each 1 of your methods and label the bottle and after ill pick my favourite and post up the result thanks to all of ye again

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Priming using juice is supposed to get the best flavour, though you will get a slightly higher ABV if you use sugar or brewing sugar (dextrose / glucose). I think you can probably prime with more or less whatever you want though (except splenda, but you can add this to make the cider less dry - I certainly do). There's such a small amount involved that you're not going to reasonably be able to differentiate between sugar and brewing sugar though (IMO). I think I'm going to prime my current batch with some honey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

I normally use regular sugar without issue, one teaspoon per pint bottle, keep it warm for a week. After that leave it somewhere cold.

Advertisement