Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connamara Surf Concensus?

Options
  • 25-09-2012 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

After having taken a fair share of exploratory trips with an OS map to check the south and south west parts of the peninsula over the last few years, I am under the impression that I really do need to continue driving up to Sligo all winter to get good waves. I've spied a few potential spots in Connemara, but they require either limited windows or a stand-up paddle board to get out to and back from. Every outer reef I've seen so far that is within a quarter mile of the coast seems to be a jack-and-dump with no shoulder, not to mention that one would be alone. The inside shoreline rarely seems to have surfable waves with the exception of the couple well known spots.

I met a local surfer recently who said something that made so much sense - he said that the rock in Connemara is rounded (granite) not slab like the reefs in Co. Clare and Sligo, hence the huge difference in quality. This makes a lot more sense as to why the outer reefs never seem to have shoulders.

I guess the question is, are there diamonds in the rough off the beaten path but close to shore and readily available for those who search, or are boats or special conditions the order of the day for Co. Galway?
    I will never curse the drive back from Clifden, seeing the beauty of the 12 Bens or Maumturks off the N59, or driving through Lough Inagh, but I am starting to feel a bit sad about having to drive so far to get reliable quality waves lol.

With winter coming, is there still hope to find that reliable spot?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭OuterBombie

Unfortunately you've hit the nail on the head :(

You may get a spot good on its day out west depending on swell, wind, tide, etc (only in the winter mind) but for consistent surf, drive north or south from Galway city. You'd be in Strandhill in the same time as it would take you to get to some of those locations out west.

Like you, my mates and I have done the time exploring over the years (nearly 20 of them now, jaysus) plus we have a boat so not a lot of crannies have escaped attention.

Last weekend I headed up NW (Clare being the normal stomping ground) and the whole coast was lit up from Enniscrone to Bundoran. There are probably more quality waves in 2 miles of coastline there than in the whole of Connemara.

Roll on the winter :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Unfortunately you've hit the nail on the head :(

You may get a spot good on its day out west depending on swell, wind, tide, etc (only in the winter mind) but for consistent surf, drive north or south from Galway city. You'd be in Strandhill in the same time as it would take you to get to some of those locations out west.

Like you, my mates and I have done the time exploring over the years (nearly 20 of them now, jaysus) plus we have a boat so not a lot of crannies have escaped attention.

Last weekend I headed up NW (Clare being the normal stomping ground) and the whole coast was lit up from Enniscrone to Bundoran. There are probably more quality waves in 2 miles of coastline there than in the whole of Connemara.

Roll on the winter :p

How is that quad treating you?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭OuterBombie

Apologies for the off-topic...
    xxyyzz wrote: »
    How is that quad treating you?

:) Not too bad at all.

I've been surfing it exclusively since I picked it up off ya and it's handled every type wave I've thrown at it. Two high head Crab summer sessions, two weeks in SW France, low tide grinding shore dump to high tide DOH peaks, and finally last Sunday, a firing NW right point which I haven't had opportunity to surf before.

Only bummer is it picked up a sh*tty ding from a bailed board in France :mad:

Bizarrely its been mainly rights I've scored with it so pretty interested in seeing how it goes backhand. I'm sure the next couple of months will sort that out :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Good to see it went to a good home. It's surprisingly nice to surf on your backhand. Much more user friendly than a twinnie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Last weekend I headed up NW (Clare being the normal stomping ground) and the whole coast was lit up from Enniscrone to Bundoran. There are probably more quality waves in 2 miles of coastline there than in the whole of Connemara

Very true but find yourself a quality river mouth or sand bank and your laughing;)

That said crowds are down in many places so why bother...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 enniscrone

We have seen some excellent surf over the past few weeks in Enniscrone!

Advertisement