Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking about moving to OZ

Options
  • 26-09-2012 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭

Like it says on the tin.

I am considering moving to Oz. For how long, Im not so sure but Id like to keep my options open.

Whilst there I would prefer to continue working in my field. I'm currently working in I.T.

Now the problem is, I am 30 and in an ideal situation I would plan to make the move after my 31st.

Am I crazy to travel on a holiday visa and take my chances or would it be the smart move to get myself over there before my 31st

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

T-K-O wrote: »
    Like it says on the tin.

I am considering moving to Oz. For how long, Im not so sure but Id like to keep my options open.

Whilst there I would prefer to continue working in my field. I'm currently working in I.T.

Now the problem is, I am 30 and in an ideal situation I would plan to make the move after my 31st.

Am I crazy to travel on a holiday visa and take my chances or would it be the smart move to get myself over there before my 31st

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

WHV is 18-30 years. So unless your a needed person in Australia, as in professionally, you wont have much of a chance moving here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

skipz wrote: »
    WHV is 18-30 years. So unless your a needed person in Australia, as in professionally, you wont have much of a chance moving here.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I could apply for a WHV now and be there before I'm 31?

And yes they are seeking people with my skill set.

Obviously if I was to stick with plan A I would not be applying for a WHV

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Mod Please have a read of the sticky. Age limits and other WHV stuff is there.
    You need to be granted a WHV before 31, and you have a year to enter.
    So you can be 31 when arriving into Aus.

IT work is going well over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

T-K-O wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I could apply for a WHV now and be there before I'm 31?

And yes they are seeking people with my skill set.

Others might know better, but I think if you get a WHV visa, you have to enter oz before you're 31, so you still got time.

I think your best chance of oz long term is to go on WHV as I.T. Is not currently very high on their demand list for permanent visas.
    While you go on WHV then you have good chance of your oz employer sponsoring you.

• Advertisement

hussey wrote: »
    Mod Please have a read of the sticky. Age limits and other WHV stuff is there.
    You need to be granted a WHV before 31, and you have a year to enter.
    So you can be 31 when arriving into Aus.

IT work is going well over here.

Really, I spent hours going through these threads last night. It was pretty late I must have missed it.

My other question, if I was to consider a long term move should I avoid the holiday visa at all cost.

Just got this from the sticky

'What is the age limit for WHV/2nd WHV
    You must have turned 18, but not turned 31, at the time of your visa application. You then have a year to arrive regardless of age (i.e. you can arrive when 31 and turn 32 in Oz) '

So I can get a WHV but need to arrive in the country before I turn 32.

Cant believe I missed that

Others might know better, but I think if you get a WHV visa, you have to enter oz before you're 31, so you still got time.

I think your best chance of oz long term is to go on WHV as I.T. Is not currently very high on their demand list for permanent visas.
    While you go on WHV then you have good chance of your oz employer sponsoring you.

Thanks for your advice, that sounds the best option for me. I would love to go for the experience and keep all options open

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

If you have any intentions of working over here, do not even think about a holiday visa.

It's illegal to even seek employment on one.

There was a story in the Irish Echo a while ago about a Wexford councillor who came out here on a Holiday visa and "managed to secure sponsorship" while here.

Can't believe no one has questioned this since. Do they think the sponsorship just fell out of the sky? He clearly went to an interview which contradicts the terms of his visa.

If immigration think for even a second that you are here to seek employment they will cancel your visa at the airport and send you packing.

Thanks Batgurl - that is why I created the thread

• Advertisement
Advertisement