Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anti-austerity violence Spain Tonight

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭nachocheese

I wonder what the Irish riots will be like?

Bunch of knackers attacking other Irish people, robbing and wrecking Irish businesses as they go without a moment of thought of what they're actually doing most likely.

If it came to riots here I would hope to see examples being made. Rubber bullets being used at the very minimum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sir Pompous Righteousness

The Troika should send in the Inquisition. Seriously, don't those rioters have anything better to do, like work perhaps? Or if not work then perhaps trying to find a job? Seriously, rioting is not going to help you find a job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Fair balls to them, at least they do something and not take it up the ass like the Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭shamtastic

The Troika should send in the Inquisition. Seriously, don't those rioters have anything better to do, like work perhaps? Or if not work then perhaps trying to find a job? Seriously, rioting is not going to help you find a job.

Who said none of them have a job?

• Advertisement

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Fair balls to them, at least they do something and not take it up the ass like the Irish.
    What's wrong with taking it in the ass? It stimulates your prostate to the point of orgasm. It's fantastic.

shamtastic wrote: »

Let's face it. It's a weekday and they're rioting - haven't they anything better to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Last April Spanish police killed an Athletic Bilbao fan after shooting him with a rubber bullet.

http://www.rtve.es/deportes/20120409/fallece-joven-herido-bilbao-durante-incidentes-tras-athletic-schalke-04/514566.shtml

Because he was a football fan (and arguably Basque) the story didn't get much coverage, and the excessive use of force by Spanish police avoided the criticism it deserves.

Here they are breaking up a protest by secondary school kids. Not even adults:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1jC6KAEDkA&feature=related

They use rubber bullets like an Irish gard uses a 'calm down lads,' and it is only a matter of time before someone is killed in one of these large protests in Madrid.

When that happens, things are going to kick off dramatically in Spain, a country already facing a looming constitutional crisis (Catalan referendum on independence) and economic ruin, that does not need major civil unrest to add to the pile.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭shamtastic

Let's face it. It's a weekday and they're rioting - haven't they anything better to do?

Like complain about it to Joe Duffy in the morning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

This will play a part in the Spanish being treated seriously at the table in Europe. They'll get better terms, FG will be at the foot of the table lapping up the crumbs from whatever the Spanish got and the likes of you will be worshipping Enda for getting some crumbs from Europe. Bizarre really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Bunch of knackers attacking other Irish people, robbing and wrecking Irish businesses as they go without a moment of thought of what they're actually doing most likely.

Replace knackers there with politicians/bankers/developers and you have an accurate picture of why were in this mess in the first place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Yep. Nothing helps a country struggling to pay its way get back on its feet better than wrecking the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Worrying seeing the undercover guys in hoodies - bit like the footage in Prague and Dresden in '89

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

That doesnt seem like a riot, more like a demonstration where people are getting dragged off?
    This was more like riot (6.12)

the violence in the Op was started by the police? they attacked the crowd? ok someone was waving some sticks at them but they launch into the whole crowd with batons after only a few people struck out?

Clearly if you want to go to a demonstration, it suggests not wearing a backpack as it makes you easy to grab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

It's also night time so maybe the ones that a fortunate enough to have a job are finished.

For right or wrong they aren't taking it lying down. In Ireland's case it just never seems to happen. This budget is going to push a lot of people though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

It's also night time so maybe the ones that a fortunate enough to have a job are finished.

For right or wrong they aren't taking it lying down. In Ireland's case it just never seems to happen. This budget is going to push a lot of people though.

Take what lying down? Those evil discriminatory laws that forbid them from working? Or the fact that society at large might not be able to continue to subsidise them to have the same standard of living as they are accustomed to.

It's bullsh1t. Those Spanish, and 99.99% of Irish people have opportunities and comforts that most of the worlds population could only ever dream about.

Spoilt children. Simple as that.

If you don't want to "take it lying down" then get up off your arse and do something productive. Quit moaning about it and blaming everyone else for all your own personal failings.

yore wrote: »

Take what lying down? Those evil discriminatory laws that forbid them from working? Or the fact that society at large might not be able to continue to subsidise them to have the same standard of living as they are accustomed to.

It's bullsh1t. Those Spanish, and 99.99% of Irish people have opportunities and comforts that most of the worlds population could only ever dream about.

If you don't want to "take it lying down" then get up off your arse and do something productive. Quit moaning about it and blaming everyone else for all your own personal failings.

Don't have any personal failing thank you very much. I'm probably 95% happy in my life, are you? Id also like to add I make sure everyday is productive. You are also assuming that its only unemployed people that are "moaning".

I wouldn't exactly call my post moaning either. Who exactly did I blame? So tell me since we are talking about Spain, with an unemployment rate of just 25% who exactly is to blame?

You must be sniffs gods arse your horse is that high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭fando

Some truth in here. I always smile when I see on TV those tormented rioting youths in their fancy clothing.

fando wrote: »
    Some truth in here. I always smile when I see on TV those tormented rioting youths in their fancy clothing.

If you look at the whole thing, there is not really anything there that suggests a riot, its a public demonstration,

The only people being violent are the police in that
    Im not just wading in against the cops and taking the high moral ground, but are you suggesting that in a democracy people are not allowed demonstrate or object? and why? because it is worse somewhere else, in some other country? and if they do demonstrate/protest? they are accused of rioting and clubbed and dragged off?
    The response of the police there was disproportionate to what is going on.

Don't have any personal failing thank you very much. I'm probably 95% happy in my life, are you? Id also like to add I make sure everyday is productive. You are also assuming that its only unemployed people that are "moaning".

I wouldn't exactly call my post moaning either. Who exactly did I blame? So tell me since we are talking about Spain, with an unemployment rate of just 25% who exactly is to blame?

Take what lying down?

You didn't blame anyone specific. Just spouted some rhetoric about people "not taking it lying down". If someone is "taking it", then someone is "giving it". Are you saying that you believe that people are fed up "taking it" but nobody is to blame for them "taking it"? How then can it be changed if nobody is to blame or is responsible?
    Sure when all else fails, if pushed to name the villain, just point the finger at nondescript bankers/politicians/developers etc. Never look into the mirror. Rabble rabble.

• Advertisement

Take what lying down?

You didn't blame anyone specific. Just spouted some rhetoric about people "not taking it lying down". If someone is "taking it", then someone is "giving it". Are you saying that you believe that people are fed up "taking it" but nobody is to blame for them "taking it"? How then can it be changed if nobody is to blame or is responsible?
    Sure when all else fails, if pushed to name the villain, just point the finger at nondescript bankers/politicians/developers etc. Never look into the mirror. Rabble rabble.

Now that is serious rabble rabble rabble

Answer my question. 25% unemployment who exactly is to blame then? What do you want people to do?

Look into the mirror? A quarter of the working population are out of work and you seriously think its their own fault? Now they are being hit with massive cuts and you want them to sit at home and get their ****ing knitting needles out?

• Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

Yep. Nothing helps a country struggling to pay its way get back on its feet better than wrecking the place.

but we revel in doing that anyway so why not where it's beneficial?! but having said that I am protective of national image via what's picked up or broadcast internationally and I certainly don't want us to look like Greece... but come on. Iceland even, didn't fcuk around in dealing with the cronies and saying fcuk you to banks holy jaysus we are bailing out banks.. when you throw 'economic sense' out the window n just settle for sense alone, common sense.. the brass tacks then we look kinda bad right about now

But... if it was the huge embarrassment on a global scale that was the Euro 2012 finals then i'd sooner be Greece. Again, displayed their genuine fighting spirit which they don't even lay claim to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

We're such an educated bunch, is Irish are. Sure what will rioting do? Sersiously? Instead we'll sit back, begrudge each other, let the politicians reach into our back pockets and let them steal from the handicaps and the blind. The fcukers are only pretending anyways to be handicapped and blind. Your one in the wheelchair probably lied to get a free parking permit and that wheelchair was given to her free from the social. And as for the blindman, ah sure my little terrior can do the same as his dog. He's not even blind. He's just using his stick to beat his dog. And while we're snapping at each other - the high kings will be continued to be rewarded with their celtic tiger pay, perks and pensions and allowances. And we won't even say boo to them.

Fair play them to those in spain.

Now that is serious rabble rabble rabble

Answer my question. 25% unemployment who exactly is to blame then? What do you want people to do?
    What is the obsession with looking for someone to blame? Why is it always someone else's fault. even if it is, then stop wasting time moaning about it because moaning isn't going to fix it!
    Look into the mirror? A quarter of the working population are out of work and you seriously think its their own fault? Now they are being hit with massive cuts and you want them to sit at home and get their ****ing knitting needles out?
    No, of course it's not their fault . It's never an individuals fault is it? It's the bad teacher or the bad school or the bad estate or the evil lazy other people who won't make a job for them.

If you want a facetious answer, there's 25% unemployed. Maybe they could look at the majority 75% and see what they are doing differently! Maybe some of them could use their brains and start up their own entrepreneurial endeavor.

If you're good at knitting and you want to do that, then find others who are and start knitting.

I think you're ranting there by claiming I said I wanted them to sit at home! I explicitly stated the opposite.

ilovesleep wrote: »
    We're such an educated bunch, is Irish are. Sure what will rioting do? Sersiously? Instead we'll sit back, begrudge each other, let the politicians reach into our back pockets and let them steal from the handicaps and the blind. The fcukers are only pretending anyways to be handicapped and blind. Your one in the wheelchair probably lied to get a free parking permit and that wheelchair was given to her free from the social. And as for the blindman, ah sure my little terrior can do the same as his dog. He's not even blind. He's just using his stick to beat his dog. And while we're snapping at each other - the high kings will be continued to be rewarded with their celtic tiger pay, perks and pensions and allowances. And we won't even say boo to them.

Yeah. We should try your version of mathematics where the government stop taking anything from your back pocket and simultaneously increase the money they give to handicaps and the blind... That should work.....

If you want those handicaps and blind to get good services then you had better be prepared to pay for it. simple as that. The problem is that you don't want to pay for it but then want to moan at the consequences. Your attitude will turn this country into America. That is not a nice society to live in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭nachocheese

Wattle wrote: »
    Replace knackers there with politicians/bankers/developers and you have an accurate picture of why were in this mess in the first place

And that has what to do with the outcome of a riot...?

If there was a riot, it would have Irish knackers attacking Irish people and Irish businesses and no more.

And jesus christ, how tired is this getting? "De bankoors Joe, de developoors Joe, de poleetishins Joe" ranted by people who haven't the slightest, and I mean not even the most minute quantity, of understanding "why were[sic] in this mess in the first place".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

What is the obsession with looking for someone to blame? Why is it always someone else's fault. even if it is, then stop wasting time moaning about it because moaning isn't going to fix it!

No, of course it's not their fault . It's never an individuals fault is it? It's the bad teacher or the bad school or the bad estate or the evil lazy other people who won't make a job for them.

If you want a facetious answer, there's 25% unemployed. Maybe they could look at the majority 75% and see what they are doing differently! Maybe some of them could use their brains and start up their own entrepreneurial endeavor.

If you're good at knitting and you want to do that, then find others who are and start knitting.

I think you're ranting there by claiming I said I wanted them to sit at home! I explicitly stated the opposite.

yore, I'm not unemployed and I'm in agreement with them getting out on the street to protest the state of affairs. These people are, by and large, to be applauded. Beats staying in and numbing the mind with X-Factor and whatever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

a peculiar bunch those Spanish :confused: - you'd wonder why they take to the streets with drink so cheap over there? A bunch of weirdos!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Statistics.

51.1% of the young Spanish people don't have a job. Linky

Also 80% of the CV's we're getting in for software development jobs in a Dublin city centre location are from young Spanish people.

A lot of bored young people are going to have time to protest and direct their anger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

Like eating cake for example?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

there is no money........it has been spent....

the government has to borrow money to run the country, it has to pay that money back....

to protest, there has to be something to protest about......

what are they protesting about....have the protesters come up with a way to solve the problem.....??????

if not......what is the point....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

There is nothing that can really be called a riot in the OP. Spain is not Greece, not yet anyhow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Look at those coward scumbags.

"Yeah, that police officer is on the ground, let's show how angry I am by kicking him and pushing him and then running away".

These aren't anti-austerity riots, just plain old morons looking to cause trouble.

We'd see the same thing here, just dirty scumbags out to cause hassle, pretending to be "protesting".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Surely a simple

"ah eh, leave ii ouuu"

would have calmed them all down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

BBDBB wrote: »
    Surely a simple

"ah heyor, leave ii ouuu"

would have calmed them all down?

FYP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

ilovesleep wrote: »

Yeah. We should try your version of mathematics where the government stop taking anything from your back pocket and simultaneously increase the money they give to handicaps and the blind... That should work.....

If you want those handicaps and blind to get good services then you had better be prepared to pay for it. simple as that. The problem is that you don't want to pay for it but then want to moan at the consequences. Your attitude will turn this country into America. That is not a nice society to live in

Name a country that got out of recession by cutting more every year and reducing peoples disposable income?

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Name a country that got out of recession by cutting more every year and reducing peoples disposable income?

Name a country that managed to close the public spending gap by continuing to overspend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

CruelCoin wrote: »

Name a country that managed to close the public spending gap by continuing to overspend?

There are more options than "overspend" and "cutting back" available to a country. Its not black and white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

There are more options than "overspend" and "cutting back" available to a country. Its not black and white.

If you don't curtail the spending to match the incomings, then what do you do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

And the English. We're being arse-raped by the elite and everyone seems perfectly happy to accept it. It's a shame both the British and Irish can't be more like the 'Europeans'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

They're giving the Council plenty of overtime, So it's a win win for everybody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

Doubt they would be so upset if they had social welfare levels like us,

CruelCoin wrote: »

especially when a country took on a private debt, i really wonder what was said in those smokey back rooms?

look take this on or we provide no funds and save your own arse
    or
    dont take this on and take your chances with your future mob?

Not really.

You have bills of 20 quid and 10 quid with which to pay them; you have 3 options:

1: Cut back your outgoings to 10 quid to suit your income.
    2: Arrange a loan to finance the 10 quid extra, so instead of 10 quid paid by you, your kids will pay 15 quid.
    3: Avoid paying altogether, ah sure the people offering the 20 are bastards and unsecured.

The only logical step here is choice # 1. All others are irresponsible and putting your problems on the long finger.

Huzzah, overtime rate paid for menial work that could've been done for minimum wage! I'm so happy we have your value for money option!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

and where does the money come from to pay them? borrowing and paying interest?

and where does the money come from to pay them? borrowing and paying interest?

The bankers getting fired and the politicians getting hung from the nearest tree would free up the money for that. Or so i'm told. So many people saying so, it must be true.

Back on topic though,

They should switch the rubber bullets for bean-bags.

These are fired by shotgun, and the bang given off by one shotgun is more intimidating than that given off by 5 rifles with rubber bullets.

Plus its less lethal. Win-Win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

Ordinary People are not simply attempting to opt out of paying bills or debts.

People are getting angrier that they are being forced to pay ALL debts, even those debts that were specifically incurred by a small section of our society.

They are especially growing angry that this is at the expense of the less well off.

Micky the Minister's health care is not affected, his child's class number aren't rising and his elderly parents are still well cared for. If his college going teenager doesn't get a part time job, Daddy will sub - so wheres the harm in austerity for him?

Some posters are happy to commit to repay debts incurred by a minority. That is their privilege, given that we live in a democracy. They shouldn't be surprised that the majority of people aren't comfortable with doing so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭MrPoker

notnumber wrote: »
    Doubt they would be so upset if they had social welfare levels like us,

This.

Also young people here tend to emigrate fairly quickly if they cant find a job instead of hanging around which is a contributing factor to the lack of protests here.

I still think for most people still in Ireland they are living fairly comfortably and our personal situations are not as dire as the Greeks or the Spanish however every year the gap is tightening with tougher budgets and currently rising fuel costs. There is undoubtedly plenty of people struggling and we hear these stories but not enough people to kick-start any major protesting sooner rather than later hopefully.

At the moment though it is evident that vital services are starting to really struggle under the weight of constant cuts i.e Garda, hospitals etc. which only adds to simmering frustration of ordinary people. If things keep going in same direction there will be major protests.

• Advertisement
Advertisement