Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI: League of Ireland Fixtures (Week 29), Sept 28-Oct 2, 2012.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

More importantly - relevant.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

geeky wrote: »
    I know it seems like a bit much to give out about after a 7-0, but you had to see Hancock to believe him. Never seen anyone get so prissy about the spot of the ball in nothing areas, and he continued the fine Irish league ref tradition of making things up as he went along. Don't think we played any injury time, did we?

Much improved set-up, and showed our creative players can perform if the team is organised, but it would be hard not to look like world-beaters against Dundalk on Friday. Sad to say, they were the worst professional football team I've ever seen.

According to a poster on the Rovers forum, he blew up early with no injury time.

I wouldn't say that Dundalk team are worse than Galway last year or the (in)famous Kilkenny City side 15 years ago. Nobody has been hammering them, so there is credit to be taken from the 7-0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

I thought Hancock was an absolute disgrace on Friday night. As a Rovers fans it was shocking to see how one sided he was. He gave Dundalk nothing and the constant bickering about where exactly a throw should be taken from in your own half, jesus wept. Also didn't think the 2nd penalty was anything like a penalty but I'll reserve full judgment on that one until I see the dodgy digital zoom on MNS later on.

All in all you can't but be happy with a 7-0 win. Dundalk's heads dropped once it went 2-0 and the quick fire 2nd half killed it stone dead. Disappointing crowd that only got going when the score line read 4-0. Rather strange subdued atmosphere at the game. Can understand why in fairness.

dfx- wrote: »
    I wonder how far the ball Twigg kicked after the sixth goal went.. :pac:

According to a poster on the ultras forum it put the window of his car in so I'd say it stopped rather abruptly in the carpark!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Drogs v Shels and Pats v UCD tonight. Can't see Sligo being caught - I reckon they will beat Pats on Saturday week and they should be champions before they go to Drogheda.

Drogs need to win tonight to have a chance of second place.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭sheao

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    Drogs v Shels and Pats v UCD tonight. Can't see Sligo being caught - I reckon they will beat Pats on Saturday week and they should be champions before they go to Drogheda.

If they can beat City on Friday night then they will be playing Pats to win the league.

Think Pats based on last Friday night's performance are the side who looked most able to come 2nd but for all their possession they did'nt create enough clear chances to win the game v Drogs.

Still thoough I think Pats should finish 2nd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Can't see us getting anything up in Drogheda tonight, I'd say Mathews has his eye on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

UCD 6-1 tonight and we missing a few players (Chambers, Russell, Bolger,Flynn, Kenna)

Midfield of Carroll Coombes Forrester likely.

UCD are on a decent run.

sheao wrote: »
    If they can beat City on Friday night then they will be playing Pats to win the league.
    Think Pats based on last Friday night's performance are the side who looked most able to come 2nd but for all their possession they did'nt create enough clear chances to win the game v Drogs.

Still thoough I think Pats should finish 2nd.
    Not sure about Pats finishing second. They should, but if Sligo beat them and Drogs beat UCD on the Friday then Drogs are in second with Sligo at home (having being crowned) and Bohs away. Pats have the cup which should be more important for them than finishing second or third.

If Pats don't win the cup I can't see Shamrock Rovers playing in europe next season :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

The end of MNS brought a little tear to my eye.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Pats and Drogs both one up.

Commentary on Pats match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Neil Doyle is so bad

That was easy that i thought it would be :o

236-01.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

The magic Philly Hughes is backed and scored, too little, too late. But at least something positive, I suppose.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Christ that was awful.

• Advertisement

Neil Doyle couldn't have had a worse performance if he had just laid down for the 90 minutes. Went in expecting nothing. After a while saw hope of getting something.. saw red as Doyle took it away.

Never in my life have I seen a more inept team of officials.

Never in my life have I seen a player sent off for trying to cross a ball.

Sickened.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

iregk wrote: »
    All in all you can't but be happy with a 7-0 win. Dundalk's heads dropped once it went 2-0 and the quick fire 2nd half killed it stone dead. Disappointing crowd that only got going when the score line read 4-0. Rather strange subdued atmosphere at the game. Can understand why in fairness.

I think the crowd wanted Twigg to take the 2nd penalty and the game sort of grew an atmosphere from that.

Neil Doyle couldn't have had a worse performance if he had just laid down for the 90 minutes. Went in expecting nothing. After a while saw hope of getting something.. saw red as Doyle took it away.

Sickened.

Summed up nicely, the linesman didn't do himself any favours, absolutely laughable performance by the officials tonight!

What's with clubs addiction to holding away fans back when both sets of supporters are small in size and there's already a large garda presence outside.

dfx- wrote: »
    I think the crowd wanted Twigg to take the 2nd penalty and the game sort of grew an atmosphere from that.

Yeah very true. When the chants of Twiggy Twiggy went around before the 2nd kick was taken I think that woke the crowd up a bit.

Sickened.
    Trying to cross the ball :eek: He drilled the ball into the face of a Drogs player lying on the ground after the whistle had gone.

So when Fabio was thrown to the ground for the penalty it should have been a red card similar to Gavin Brennan for his "shove".

C'mon - I also though Doyle had a howler but he got the 2 sendings off bang on.

Anyway Brian Laws won't be happy - that's both his teams beaten by Mick Cooke now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

I'd agree with Pepa. Drogs deserved the win anyway

How many red cards Shels got this season?

3 against us anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Many Sligo fans heading down to the Cross on Friday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

dreamers75 wrote: »

3 against us anyway.

It's mad because at the start of the season, every other team had a man sent off in seemingly every game for the first couple of rounds, and Shels didn't.

12/13 at a guess.

dreamers75 wrote: »

3 against us anyway.

Never a red card last night for Gar Matthews.

A justifiable opinion when you take into account the Drogs player who didn't get a red for the doing the exact same thing in the second half.

Trying to cross the ball :eek: He drilled the ball into the face of a Drogs player lying on the ground after the whistle had gone.
    You're wrong.

CSF wrote: »
    You're wrong.
    Some of it, most of it, all of it :confused:

Go on then - tell us all what really happened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

I reckon Gareth Mathews tried to kick the ball away. Doyle bottled it - Brennan lashed out and was justifiably sent off but the crowd around Doyle scared the ****e out of him

The peno was never, ever a peno. A total dive.

Officials were bad.

Still, there was an energy about Shels last night that gives me some hope for the match against Londonderry - no Dawson, Philly Hughes or Paddy Kavanagh and they matched Drogheda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

born2bwild wrote: »
    no Dawson, Philly Hughes or Paddy Kavanagh and they matched Drogheda.

We didn't. :confused: We lost.

• Advertisement

Zebra3 wrote: »
    We didn't. :confused: We lost.

We shouldn't have. Hopefully the ref's mistakes won't be so telling in Derry.

There is no point in me posting in this thread anymore - I was obviously at a different game. Best of luck in the semi final lads against Derry - 2 teams that the Drogs have taken 18 points off this season, so I could not even predict a winner.

Best of luck in the semi final lads against Derry - 2 teams that the Drogs have taken 18 points off this season, so I could not even predict a winner.

:confused: I don't think semi-finals are decided on the basis of how many points sides have dropped to Drogheda during the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I reckon Gareth Mathews tried to kick the ball away. Doyle bottled it - Brennan lashed out and was justifiably sent off but the crowd around Doyle scared the ****e out of him

The peno was never, ever a peno. A total dive.

Officials were bad.

Still, there was an energy about Shels last night that gives me some hope for the match against Londonderry - no Dawson, Philly Hughes or Paddy Kavanagh and they matched Drogheda.

What's this Londonderry sh!te?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

monkey9 wrote: »
    What's this Londonderry sh!te?

Best to ignore it. The individual is just looking for a reaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

But i've seen him post this a few times. He was a Sporting Fingal fan, now he's latched onto Shels. I can't for the life of me see why he'd be posting that?

There is no point in me posting in this thread anymore - I was obviously at a different game.

Both the red cards and the dive for the peno both happen literally in line with most Shels fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

But i've seen him post this a few times. He was a Sporting Fingal fan, now he's latched onto Shels. I can't for the life of me see why he'd be posting that?
    So in short, he's a Shels fan?

• Advertisement

Jesus, sorry; Derry.
    Why don't you 'latch on' to a sense of humour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Jesus, sorry; Derry.

Because there is nothing funny about it, keep it to Shels chat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Töpher wrote: »

I don't think so.

The only thing I disagree with is the fact the Drogs player was sent off for a push. Matthews was an idiot for what he did and it was a definite pen.

A player putting his hand on another player's shoulder does not equal a penalty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

A player putting his hand on another player's shoulder does not equal a penalty

Not like he was heal tapped or anything.

SantryRed wrote: »
    I don't think so.

The only thing I disagree with is the fact the Drogs player was sent off for a push. Matthews was an idiot for what he did and it was a definite pen.

Tbh it wasn't on purpose by Matthews, it seem he was continuing on with play rather than booting it at Brennan when the whistle had gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭overshoot

Jesus, sorry; Derry.

easier to keep politics out of sport (as it should be). make fun of the fact they live at a council dog track:D

who let the dogs out?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

Its probably more geography than politics :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Töpher wrote: »

Looking at that replay (from 1.35), he kicks the ball in the full knowledge of where it's going. And nobody crosses like that.

Still reckon red was a bit harsh for both offences. But Airtricity League refs seem to make stuff up as they go along.

Looking at that replay (from 1.35), he kicks the ball in the full knowledge of where it's going. And nobody crosses like that.

You haven't seen us play much this season then......

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

Still reckon red was a bit harsh for both offences. But Airtricity League refs seem to make stuff up as they go along.

Make you right. Both offences were no more than a yellow for me. But then Doyle wouldnt have been the star of the show I suppose :rolleyes:

The more you look at the peno incident the more it looks like the correct decision.

Some Shels fans on here do seem to have an unhealthy persecution complex!

• Advertisement
Advertisement