Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man Utd (Away)

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

great win,heres a video of the fans i took at the final whistle,great support for the 90 mins,never stopped singing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Emoran

Back in 89 when spurs beat united in old Trafford, Ferguson was 48 years old and AVB a 12 year old kid... That win was too long a wait... And what a win at that :D

COYS

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭larry1

Our canteen was a quieter place this morning except for me... COYS! :D:D

avb-fist-pump.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

There's not a single united fan where I work. Which is usually a good thing. I feel like I'm missing out. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

My Dad is a Utd fan, he wouldn't answer his phone since Sat so I'm going to make an excuse to call in later :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

29th September 2012 – A win at Old Trafford at last!

Its been a long time coming but Spurs have finally won up at Old Trafford. Glory Glory Hallelujah! (and we’ll have our Glory Glory back as well as the three points). Funnily enough Hallelujah by the Happy Mondays was one of the songs of the moment the last time we won up there back in December 1989; a time of the Acid House, Joe Bloggs clothing and the Berlin Wall coming down

image008.jpg
    I was lucky enough to be up there that day, hidden amongst the cockney reds in the Stretford End until our the joy on our faces at Lineker’s greatest goal gave us away to the miserable Mancs and we’d slipped away to nearer the exit for the final few minutes.

Standing on a proper football terrace - its definitely been a long time coming!
    image010.jpg

This is a very important win for Spurs. Before todays game, Spurs had played 20 times at Old Trafford in the EPL. In those games Spurs had only taken 3 points and scored a paltry 8 goals and lost 17 of the matches. Of those 8 goals, only a Jenas goal in 2005 was good enough to earn a point as the other two points had come in 0-0’s (albeit one with a Mendes winner). United have been a dominant side in the EPL but this record went beyond the level of difference between the two sides, especially in recent seasons as Spurs have improved and Utd, for all the League titles, don’t look as good as dominant thesedays, which suggested a mental weakness at Spurs which was as evident in the toothless 0-2 defeats as in the infamous collapses 2-5 & 3-5

Going 1-0 and then 2-0 up so early on, with goals of great pace and passion, gave Spurs a great start but it also gave them a long time ahead before the final whistle – which has tended to be a curse rather than a blessing, esp with that recent defeat to Arsenal so fresh in the mind. During the game I always try and stay positive- there is nothing you can do about it and you may as well enjoy your team in the lead rather than worry it away thinking the other team are going to get back. However, its impossible for your mind not to drift to other similar situations where Spurs have built a lead playing well, stopped going forward, the other team have got back into it and Spurs have failed to find a reply before being rolled over.

But it was different today. Just as in the 5 goal capitulations, Spurs conceded just after half time to let United back in. But for the first time in years, rather than get swept away by the other teams comeback, Spurs went up the other end and scored. When was the last time Spurs took the lead against a good side, saw them make a comeback and then go away and increase the lead? 1991 Semi? For me, this was a very important line in the sand.

United managed another goal and it felt like Spurs sat back too much inviting United on but the final score showed a memorable win for Spurs.

And its not just recent teams that have been no good at Old Trafford, this was only Spurs 11th league win up there 76 League games http://www.topspurs.com/thfc-manchesterunited.htm
    Division 1 04-Nov-11 26,000 A W 2 - 1 Minter, Middlemiss
    Division 1 25-Sep-20 52,000 A W 1 - 0 Grimsdell
    Division 2 19-Feb-38 34,631 A W 1 - 0 Sargent
    Division 1 30-Nov-57 43,307 A W 4 - 3 Smith R (3), Blanchflower og
    Division 1 12-Sep-59 55,641 A W 5 - 1 Mackay, Harmer, Smith R (2), Dunmore
    Division 1 09-Mar-63 43,416 A W 2 - 0 Saul, Jones
    Division 1 28-Oct-72 52,497 A W 4 - 1 Peters (4)
    Division 1 23-Mar-74 36,278 A W 1 - 0 Coates
    Division 1 04-Sep-76 60,723 A W 3 - 2 Coates, Pratt, Moores
    Division 1 16-Dec-89 36,230 A W 1 - 0 Lineker

A few weeks after the OT win in Jan 1990, another Lineker goal helped Spurs to a 2-1 win at Chelsea which has not been repeated since. Would nt it be great for Spurs and esp AVB to go to Stamford Bridge next year, a game which could be shifted back to St Hotspur day, and end the last remaining hoodoo

Where does all this leave Spurs? The infamous 6th game into the season and he has a record of W3-D2-L1, progression in the League cup and a respectable result in Europe which is a healthy start for any manager. Perhaps a point ahead of expectations (2 points lost against Norwich or WBA vs 3 points gained at Old Trafford) which gives a decent platform for the rest of the season. Spurs only got 2 points from 9 as the Levy transfer circus dragged on to the end of the window yet again, but have won all three since the return of players after the international break, which in effect becomes the pre-season.

However, aside from the sensational win against United and the consummate performance at Reading, Spurs have looked a bit shaky with poor home performances. Two of Spurs wins have been against sides who are bottom and second bottom and its fair to say a bit of luck helped Spurs against Norwich and QPR (and indeed in hanging on against United). Villa should be a gimme but the performance side of things will need to improve with three elite sides in the next five. This should come with time and much of the previous issues have been attributable to the new players settling in & injuries to Kaboul, Parker and BAE have not helped. All the new signings look useful players or better and should be able to do a job for Spurs over the season.

As for AVB, it came as no great shock that some of the players were not happy with the new set up but like all of these things, if the changes happen when Spurs are winning no one is too bothered but if Spurs have changed a winning system for one which is not producing results, the players are not going to be happy, although one suspects its more workplace grumbles than full on revolt. Hopefully the imminent removal of the ever loyal Sherwood will see an upturn in morale (another great decision by Levy to retain him as DoF).

I do look at how Chelsea seem to have progressed after his removal and have concerns in the back of my mind about him over complicating things (which have yet to be borne out by fact) – which does not make me ‘anti-AVB’ but are just that, concerns (before the monks of the twitterati descend upon me as a non believer in the new online fan fascism) - but AVB seems a good chap who works hard and is determined to succeed. I like the 4-2-3-1 system which gives Spurs a more contemporary look and allows Spurs to simultaneously look solid but hit other teams with a blast of pace. As with all Spurs managers, I want him to do well and the more I get to see him, the more hopeful I become that Spurs can remain at the top table after the turbulent summer.

All in all its been a decent start. The challenge now is to step up the level of performance over the coming months and maintain the winning/points haul. Spurs have 14 more games in 2012 and a quick look through suggest Spurs should be able to produce a record of W7-D5-L2 which would give an overall record of P20-W10-D7-L3 and a wave full of optimism going into the new year. And why not, we’ve just beaten United away!

And one last one, this unsporting image which lacks class appeared in the United programme in the return fixture after the 5-3 defeat in 2002.
    image003.jpg

At last, up yours!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

I watched it with a Utd supporter in his gaff, low key affair. Must of drank 7-8 cups of coffee and easily smoked 20 fags. About bloody time we came away with a win. Felt every emotion within those 90 minutes. I was shaking like a leaf driving home.

Several players stood out, Walker didn’t. I’ve had a pop at Gallas a few times, but he put in a monumental performance of old.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/sep/30/tottenham-manchester-united-jermain-defoe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I was away at the weekend and only caught the last half an hour in a pub, at one stage a stat popped up saying utd had 85% of possesion for the previous 10 mins or something, really hanging on. CIouldn't understand how or why we didn't take the oppurtunities to kill a bit of time towards the end by holding the ball up or taking it to the corner. Savage result though, home draws with norwich and west brom are real killers though, this makes up almost.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭yidweiser

Legend of a post Yiddo59.
    A great read and balanced point of view.
    For a long time I have admired Ferguson for what he has achieved but I'm afraid he is a very bad loser these days.
    His "imperial" Utd were beat fair and square.
    Oh no....... there was time wasting, not enough added time and Nani should have had a penalty!
    Well, I think we were due 3pts Fergie having had Pedro Mendes's goal not allowed all those years ago.
    Suck a lemon you oul git!
    United, Your number is up! They are not the team of old.
    A Sh**e rear guard (At the moment. Jones and Smalling to return), aging midfield, never replaced J Spark, increasing over reliance on Cleverley to be the next Scholes.
    I really hope they do not win the league this year.
    Very Proud Of Our Team And Manager.

COYS

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    I watched it with a Utd supporter in his gaff, low key affair. Must of drank 7-8 cups of coffee and easily smoked 20 fags. About bloody time we came away with a win. Felt every emotion within those 90 minutes. I was shaking like a leaf driving home.

Several players stood out, Walker didn’t. I’ve had a pop at Gallas a few times, but he put in a monumental performance of old.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/sep/30/tottenham-manchester-united-jermain-defoe

That'd be the coffee ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Did anybody else notice fergie calling Bale "Christian Bale" in the pre-match??

Advertisement