Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long should runners last?

Options
  • 26-09-2012 8:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this should be in the consumer forum but I would like opinions/experiences of other parents.

I bought a pair of sketchers runners for my (5 almost 6 year old) son aprox 6 weeks ago and he told me this morning that they are wrecked.

So I had a look and they are, on both shoes the rubber along the sides, the part that comes up from the sole has separated from the material. Then on one of them the stitching has come undone along one side. It's hard to describe but basically they are only fit for the bin.

If I had bought a pair of runners in dunnes or somewhere for €20 or less I'd say fair enough but these were almost €50.

Before I go back to the shop with them I was wondering do runners last more the 6 weeks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I don't think you have any case for a refund after 6 weeks. Shoes last about that length in this house too, it was about that age that I stopped buying sketchers and switched to 6 euro tesco runners. Though sometimes they only last 2 or 3 weeks....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I bought my 2 year old a pair of runners in dunnes for €15 and they lasted about 3 weeks... i bought him a pair in tesco about 3 months ago and they still look new.. I stopped buying expensive shoes for the kids everyday wear years ago.. and the special occasion shoes to go with dresses come out of penneys.

The last pair of sketchers i bought was in LA and they cost me $12 each . . the boys ones lasted ages but the 10 year olds were wrecked in about 2 months. I suppose it depends on the amount of wear they're getting and if he was using them playing football, then they wouldn't last long.. ;) No harm bringing them back to the shop though

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭MrTsSnickers

I've tried all of those runners with the young fella (8), sketchers, nike, kaffa, dunnes, penny's etc, the only ones that I have found to last any length is the Clarkes shoe/runners.

The year before last I bought Clarkes and they lasted until he grew out of them, I only stopped buying them because he was getting conscious of what the other kids had so we made a deal, if the other ones lasted as long as the clarkes ones then that would be fine, if not then tough. Last year I bought all of the above runners and they were all rubbish. Back to Clarkes this year and so far so good.

I don't think you can bring them back to the shop at this stage.

Astros are also good but I'm not sure about wearing them everyday, but that could be just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭flower tattoo

I bought geox last year for my 9 year old & they lasted about 10 weeks and cost €60 replaced them with dunnes that lasted 3 months costing €15. I complained to the shop who told me that they would give me €20 off a new pair but I'm happier paying for cheap ones more often.
    Although my daughters Skechers lasted nearly a year, so boys are definitely way harder on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

I have to replace my 8 yr old son's and 6 yr old daughter's runners next week after 6 weeks, both are hard on runners and i shall be going to Penneys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

My son's go through runners but I buy 3 pairs so they are not in the same ones 24/7 they last around 6 months even though I do have 1 pair that is a year old and still going strong. I find Nike and addidas the best.

Dunnes runners wouldn't last a month. I did by a pair of sketchers and one lad destroyed the front by using them to stop his scooter.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

Thanks for the replies, I suppose I was living in hope that 6 weeks wasn't the norm and I'd get something off/towards a new pair.

I have bought him all sorts/makes of runners before but this was the first time with sketchers, I had heard that they were a good robust make but obviously not.

Last year I did find the astro turf type ones lasted a bit longer, the ones in dunnes for €16. I won't be making the mistake of expensive runners again.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would bring them back and complain,they should definately last more then 6 weeks.
    My kids are still small so most shoes and runners come from Clarks but the pair she got from M and S that cost me a fiver in the summer were brilliant too.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

That sounds insane. My kids' shoes last until they grow out of them and then they're usually passed on. What on earth are they doing with the shoes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Def should last longer, I buy my 6year old Geox. Bought a new pair about 2 weeks before going back to school and they will last at least until christmas. He know to wear his old ones outside after school and for mucking about in.

I would be weary of those astro turf type shoe, they could'nt be great for wearing all the time. My two have narrow feet so finding shoe's to fit properly is a bit tricky but I look out for bargan's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

http://www.adverts.ie/boys-shoes/nearly-new-clarkes-shoes-price-inc-post/2134144

Would you consider looking into something like these.

I've bought those type of shoe when he was younger but now that he has started GAA and soccer and school, he refuses to wear them. Runners or nothing is what I am told!!!

I'll be in town over the weekend and I'll bring the shoes with me, I know one of the girls in the shop and if she is working I might show her them and see what she has to say about them, but I won't hold my breath.

He'll be brought into Dunnes for a new pair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

It depends on what the kid was doing like if he spent 6 weeks climbing up and down concrete walls and playing football in them and dragging his feet around then thats about right but if he wasn't then id ask for my money back

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭samina

I find in the summer with scooters, bikes and so much time running and climbing shoes don't last very long at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I would bring them back and complain,they should definately last more then 6 weeks.
    My kids are still small so most shoes and runners come from Clarks but the pair she got from M and S that cost me a fiver in the summer were brilliant too.

My mom bought sketchers for my 5 yr old and after 3/4 wks of only schooltime wear (ie off when he comes in the door and into his crocs) the soles are very worn, i doubt he will get another month out of them. I ws considering bringing them back too.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

fitzcoff wrote: »
    Before I go back to the shop with them I was wondering do runners last more the 6 weeks.

They should IMO. You'll be hard pressed to get a refund though. The shop can't reasonably be certain how much abuse they've had and you can't reasonably prove that they haven't seen a lot of action.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Personally I only buy Nike runners for my kids.. My boys are very sporty and in the past I have bought Adidas that the soles have actually come off, The NIke ones seem to be much sturdier, better stitching and last longer.

You can get good deals on them in sports world and Littlewoods from time to time, My fella had a pair of astro ones, that we bought big for him for his football socks, they lasted over the year till he grew out of them.

The soles a bit worn, but if his feet didnt grow he would be still in them.

In saying all of the above, I do find it hard to keep them clean!

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭RH149

My 8 yr old daughter is really hard on runners. I've given up on the Clarkes ones as at 40-50 euro a pair she would get 6-8 weeks out of them and they are fit for the bin. Bought her Lelly Kellys and while she didn't get holes or tears in them they had all this beading on them and couldn't be washed and it was embarrasing sending her out in them after a few weeks.....she is just a nightmare when it comes to any kind of runners (got through two pairs of Dunnes runners over the Summer and bought her Sketchers while on holidays in Florida so she would have 'decent' runners for school......think I paid $65 and she won't get to mid term with those as stitching is already coming undone.

Safe to say its not the Brands or manufacturers.....! Her brother on the other hand plays more sports in his runners and has them until he grows out of them whether they are Nike or Dunnes!

op here,

I was in town over the weekend but the girl I know wasn't working in the shop so didn't say anything to the others in the shop.

I went to dunnes to get him a pair and there was not one pair in his size so ended up in Sports Savers and got him a pair of black nike runners, so I'll be monitoring how long these ones last.

He'll be wearing them most days and he plays football etc in school on breaks but at home he would have wellies or older shoes when outside. He has football boots for training.

It's good to read that others have the same problems with shoes

OP back again

Brought the runners back into the shop today, I had the box with them (Had to go routing through the recycling bags) as I couldn't remember if I paid with my laser card or not. I showed them to one of the girls and she said that there is no way the stitching should have gone like that. She called over the manager and agreed that it was unacceptable.

They took my details and said that they would have someone from the warehouse down on Wednesday and they will have a response for me on Friday. In his, the managers, opinion I will either get a replacement or refund. He will have to get the go ahead from the management but can't see why I won't based on the state of the shoes so I'll see Friday what the story is.

• Advertisement

Op here.

Got a phone call from the shop on Friday evening offering me an exchange for the shoes. So went to town today and got a new pair of shoes for him.

I'm glad now that I did go back into the shop even though at the time I was embarrassed as I felt I was giving out about nothing.

Advertisement