Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child hitting my child in school

Options
  • 26-09-2012 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

Just looking for a bit of advice, i know i should follow my instinct here just wondering how, or what to say

My little girl started school this year, she is loving it, but, on her 2nd week a little boy at her table hit her twice and spat in her face (i cannot stand spitting) any way the teacher made him say sorry and everything was ok, since then most days she comes home telling me he hit me again but its ok he said sorry, she doesnt seem to care but its really annoying me, right hes saying sorry but clearly they both think once sorry is said then its ok but he is still hitting her most days

I dont want my four year old thinking going to school and getting slapped or hit is the norm, i have a parent teacher meeting tonight i have to say summit but what

Sorry i must add, ive had to go to her teach twice already first she was having very bad nightmares from playing "what time is it mr wolf" then she told me bout ben spat n hit (which got me very emotional) turned out ok here, her teach is very nice n all was sorted,

I really dont want to be one of those parents that her teach dreads seeing coming

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭KGLady

Aw Jeni that's a really tough and horribly upsetting position to be in, you really have my sympathy. Spitting would infuriate me too, especially from a hygiene and health pov. My daughter just started school and one of the days came home upset about being 'punched in the stomach' during gym class and then being hit from behind by the same boy on the way back to the classroom too. I knew there was something going on because 'punch' is not a word that is used in our home or day to day vocabulary. However the teacher sorted it out the boy got in trouble for it and that was an end to it. I asked indirectly about the same boy for a few days and then directly too the following week and seeing as she never discussed him again it was thankfully just a one off.

If your little one is getting constantly hit by this other child there has to be some wider problem. If it were me I'd be asking is it possible to swap seats to see if its a personality conflict between the two, perhaps they rub each other up the wrong way and this lad (wrongly) lashes out. Maybe he might get along better with someone else and the problem will resolve. If the kid keeps hitting at others too then the problem is clearly on his side and the school should be addressing it with his parents. I would feel strongly that nobody should have to accept and excuse rough and unwanted physical contact, especially young kids. TBH at their 4-5yr development 'sorry' is just a word to them and a means to an end.

Best of luck of luck tonight, and don't worry about being 'the awkward Mammy' at the end of the day your little girl isn't the source of the problem - and you're doing the right thing to support addressing the issue directly with the teacher. In fairness it sounds like you've been calm and fair so far, I know many others who would be a screaming tornado in your position I'm not even sure how calm I'd be were it my little girl ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

There are a few possibilites here -
    she may have seen the attention that she got when it did happen so keeps telling you that it is happening again.
    She is very easily upset and the other kids have realised that she will give them a reaction.
    The one boy is causing trouble and needs to be spoken to.
    Talk to the teacher and see what she says but go in open minded.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭jeni

Thanks much moon beam, turns out i need not of worried, her teacher moved the little boy in school this morn, then he said it to all the parents during the meeting to make sure kids know hitting ect is not ok anytime, felt much better after ;) and i didnt have to say anything ;)

Advertisement