Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice & Questions for buying/using Accessories

Options
  • 31-03-2012 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭

Looking at buy some lighting equipment. where do most of you guys get your stuff? Bricks and mortars store or online? Softboxes etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

The cheapest is on-line. The best selection you can see and check is in DML. The prices are higher in the city centre. Barker in Cork are also well stocked with plenty to choose from.
    And there is also NI with lower prices, just two hours on M1 (from Dublin).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

need some advice on what accessories one should buy besides the camera and lens.

im thinking of taking the plunge and getting the d3100 with the standard 18-55 lens.

my question is, what else should i be getting??
    at some stage ill probably purchase a 70-300 lens etc. but for the interim what should i need.

in terms of memory cards is it better to spend a bit more than just your standard cheap one? or would it make a difference??

what about a lens cap/filter? should i purchase one of these straight away or is it an urgent requirement.

cleaning kits?

at some point i might get a monopod but ill concentrate and the camera, and its accessories first.

and advice greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

Im heading off to Italy for a week or so and need to grab a small portable tripod. What are peoples opinions on the Goriilapod range for out and about ? I just need something small, sturdy and not overly expensive. Mainly for shooting a few landscapes, portraits, etc. Or is there any other brand that i should be looking at before i hit the shops ?

Just to add, it is for a Nikon D7000

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a decent inkjet printer, either A4 or A3.

I'm just looking for a printer, not a printer/scanner job.. Doesn't need to be mega awesome just something that I can print the odd pic on, up to A4 prints. I'll be using it the odd time to print A4 brochures for work also. I have a larger MFP printer for day to day use....

Anyone got any recommendations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭GreyEagle

Taking a sailing trip this summer and would like to get some shots on board without worrying about spray or salt getting into the camera.

I'm wondering if there is a generic waterproof box to hold a Samsung or Panasonic compact camera?

Ideas welcome.
    GE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭greeneyedspirit

If you do a forum search, you'll find plenty of threads on waterproofing :)
    Aquapac do water/sandproof pouches for various size cameras, to name but one supplier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

What make / model do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭conor360

I had something else in mind when i seen the title of this thread :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

conor360 wrote: »
    I had something else in mind when i seen the title of this thread :pac::pac::pac::pac:
    marti_1d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Roche_zero

Hi
    Hope someone out there can help me make up my mind. Want to get new Tripod was thinking of the Manfrotto 055XPROB is this a good one?. Was thinking of Heavy Duty Grip Ball Head or a 3-Way Head to go with it. I like to do landscape, sport, and Micro photography.

Thanks

Brendan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Your choice is a wise one in my opinion. That tripod has a 7 kg load capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭coL

It is a great tripod I have one myself and I would recommend it highly.

My only advice would be to try out the gripball head before you buy.

It sounds great in theory and it is the one that I went for. However it is difficult to move it and take photos along the horzontal plane at a constant level when the internal pole is in the vertical position.

What I do is move the internal pole to the horizontal position and that fixes the problem. Not a major issue but something that takes a few minutes to find a solution to the first time you set up and a few extra seconds to do every time you set up thereafter. Also I don't think the gripball head is great with the heavier pro equipment although it handles my D3100 easily.

(I realise the above description might be a bit confusing but if you try out the tripod before you buy you will see what I mean. Feel free to PM me)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Slightly Bunkers

I could do with a hot shoe flash for my canon. Has anyone any one used any of the Yongnuo flash range? They are really reasonably priced but I am guessing that is because they are not great?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

They're fine. I'm very happy with mine (467), and I plan to buy another (560II).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    Now that I've mastered ambient/available light ( :p ), I want to try off camera flash.

I inherited a difficult to understant Metz which I can use with a Hahnel combi remote control/flash trigger. But afaik I can't control the output of this flash. It's full power or nothing.

Can someone recommend a flash that allows me to dial in a power setting. TTL or Nikon CLS are not a priority so I don't feel the need to spend the money on a Nikon SB unit at the moment. Once I can manually set the power I'm happy.

A quick check of Berminghams website shows Sunpak & Nissin units at much more agreeable prices. But I really don't know what I'd be sacrificing compared to Nikon's own products.

No strobe experts to advise?

I see there's a pre-owned SB-600 on Berminghams website at the mo. €199. Worth the additional cost over the Sunpak or Nissin offerings?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Damokc

hi, just wondering what would people recommend on a remote for a canon 1100d? one of the wireless ones or a wired one?the wired ones act the same as the camera shutter with half pressing for autofocusing ect. would the freedom of the wireless outweigh the fact that it is just a "button" we'll say if you understand me?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Damokc
    I use these on my cameras and find them excellent. Great range also.
    They have the half press for focus etc.
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/RW-221-Wireless-Shutter-Remote-CANON-600D-60D-1100D-/370501155205?pt=Camera_Camcorder_Remotes&hash=item564396f985

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

I have a nice LowePro bag that can hold my way-too-many lenses, and camera with battery grip, and everything else i have picked up from eBay.

Can anyone recommend a smaller bag (link?) that i can carry canon 600d with battery grip attached and a lense mounted and a spare lense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭LFC5Times

I have a Sony DSC HX 9v and I'm looking to buy a couple of extra memory cards for my travels.

I have come across two sites selling similar memory cards but I'm wondering is it a case of one price being too good to be true.

Both are Sandisk 16GB Extreme SD Cards, one is Class 10 45MB/s and the other is Class 6 15MB/s.

Needless to say the better of the memory cards is the cheaper one. See links below.

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/SDHC/SanDisk/Sandisk-16GB-Extreme-SD-Card-%28SDHC%29-45MB_s---Class-10

http://www.picstop.co.uk/sandisk-ultra-ii-secure-digital-card-sdhc-class-6-16gb

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭stevenf17

I can recomend mymemory anyway, bought stuff off them before and they've always been spot on.

You can also go amazon if want http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Secure-Digital-Capacity-Extreme/dp/B0037FLUYU/ref=sr_1_4?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1341476923&sr=1-4 if you get 2 of them you get free shipping so it works out at around 32-33€ for the 2 cards.

SD cards are dirt cheap these days so the prices certainly aren't too good to be true!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭LFC5Times

stevenf17 wrote: »
    I can recomend mymemory anyway, bought stuff off them before and they've always been spot on.

You can also go amazon if want http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Secure-Digital-Capacity-Extreme/dp/B0037FLUYU/ref=sr_1_4?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1341476923&sr=1-4 if you get 2 of them you get free shipping so it works out at around 32-33€ for the 2 cards.

SD cards are dirt cheap these days so the prices certainly aren't too good to be true!

Unfortunately the seller in the above link won't ship to my destination :(

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭stevenf17

LFC5Times wrote: »
    Unfortunately the seller in the above link won't ship to my destination :(

I hate when amazon do that, they've changed the main seller since this morning!

Just click on "66 new from £10.50" underneath where it says IN STOCK and amazon is the 4 one down! Add to basket and then go to basket and change how many you want, it'll be the one that has "Eligible for Free Super Saver Delivery" on it

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

http://www.memoryc.ie/products/type/Flash_Memory_Cards/SD_Secure_Digital/index.html#Capacity=16GB&page=0

They certainly ship here ;-)

Is a Class 10 micro sdhc card any different speed wise to a a Cl 10 SD card?

Pricewise it looks like they can be had cheaper sometimes than the same spec SD card. Just pop them in a SD adapter i would have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭joepenguin

Hi all.
    I've been playing with the idea of buying some ND/ND grad filters. I am thinking about getting a set of six (nd2,4,6 nd grad2,4,6) cheap ones to try them out without spending too much. This set seems like good value: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/9size-Metal-Adapter-Ring-6-Cokin-P-Series-Filter-Set-ND2-ND4-ND8-G-ND2-4-8-LF6-/170812989824?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_CameraLensesFilters_JN&hash=item27c53f6180#ht_2762wt_1272

I know the quality wont be top notch but if anyone has any experience with them, or could give me any pointers it would be appreciated. I only want to buy them if they are value for money as opposed to cheap.

I will be using them on sigma ex lenses on digital (widest been 18mm) and hopefully on film, widest 20mm (approx 13mm on 1.6 crop sensors)

Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Hey, does anyone know where you can pick up a Canon Shelphy photo-printer in Dublin, at a halfway decent pricetag?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

we have decided to split the tech threads into different threads, as it was a bit difficult to find info in the one large thread. think needle in a haystack!

this thread is for all questions relating to camera accessories of any brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Does anybody have a recommendation for a fast usb based card reader. I only need it to read SD and CF

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭john47

I'm looking to buy a new photo printer and want to print up to A3 size. I have a budget of about €500. Nice B&W is a must as I know some printers to colour grand but do B&W crap. Is this budget realistic and can ye suggest anything.

Thanks

John Ryan

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

Does anybody have a recommendation for a fast usb based card reader. I only need it to read SD and CF

Thanks

I'm using sandisk (ImageMate).
    Is small, fast and reliable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

Where in Dublin can I buy a Peli Case (other than Conns, as they only have the Storm range and I want to try it out first)?

Advertisement