Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching in the PIIGS?!!

Options
  • 26-09-2012 10:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Thinking of moving abroad to teach English. I lived in Oz for six months three years back and I found the distance kind of tough to deal with. So I know the big places to go for TEFL are Dubai, China, Japan etc but tbh I don't know if I could hack the distance. Plus Australia is much like Europe culturally and I think I might find the culture shock in Asia/the Middle East tough to deal with as I'd be going on my own.

I really would like to go somewhere like Spain or Italy but I know the economic situation in these countries is much like Ireland. I was talking to my TEFL tutor who taught in Greece herself years ago. She said it was her favourite out of all the countries she'd taught (which were about 8). She also said that after-school is the big thing over there and that hasn't suffered in the recession as it is very cheap for parents.

I have always had a real dream to live somewhere in the Mediterranean for a while, but has anyone here done it? Is it complete madness to move from one of the PIIGS to another? Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I'd head to Italy. You'll find things there ironically like Aus, in that the climate is the same etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

Its not easy to get work here in Spain and most of the Med countries are the same, unless you have contacts who can sort work for you, it will be a struggle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Roisy7

Thanks guys, sorry I took so long to reply to this.

Well TEFL almost done now so will be checking out the jobs board. Seems to be a good few places in Italy alright :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

I can see there are some TEFL positions in Spain:

http://www.jobsinspain.ie/search/basic/category/all/keywords/tefl/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

I can see there are some TEFL positions in Spain:

http://www.jobsinspain.ie/search/basic/category/all/keywords/tefl/

• Advertisement

Thanks Mr Loverman. Could be finishing 2013 in the sun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Can I ask where/with whom etc you did your TEFL and how much it cost etc? I am looking into doing it :) Thanks and good luck with the job hunt

hdowney wrote: »
    Can I ask where/with whom etc you did your TEFL and how much it cost etc? I am looking into doing it :) Thanks and good luck with the job hunt
    Hey hdowney,

I did it with i-to-i. The only thing about their courses is that you can't use them to teach within Ireland.

It cost around €330 for the 140 hour course. Do a bit of digging on the price as mine was a special offer. You have to do a weekend in the city, think they do them in all the major Irish cities. The weekend is very intensive, from 9-8 on the sat and 9-6 on the sun. The rest is online.

I haven't finished my course yet but it's ok, mostly grammar and classroom technique.

There was a mess-up with my booking and I ended up with a free three month extension which is why it's taking me so long! To be fair they held their hands up and sorted the problem very quickly.

Best of luck to you too :)

Advertisement