Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting a furnished House/Apartment

Options
  • 26-09-2012 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭

If you're moving into a rented premises that is fully furnished, in a few weeks or months time after moving in can you buy your own furniture (say a better bed or a bigger Sofa) for the place and ask the landlord to remove what is there or is it a case of whats there must stay there with the premises?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Where would a LL keep all the furniture?

Do it properly and rent a place unfurnished. If you can't find it, make an agreement with the LL at the start, rather than agreeing one thing, then doing something else when you move in. Thats really a behind the back way of handling it, and will only antagonise the LL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

its not the done thing to do something like that, if you have already moved in and there is a crap sofa, then have a chat with LL and ask if it could be replaced

if he wont replace it and you decide you are doing it regardless then you must leave the rental as you found it and that includes a sofa so if you do buy a new one and chuck the old one out be prepared to leave the new one there when you leave

also if the sofa is that crap and LL wont replace it then bare that in mind as if anything major breaks he might also be slow off the mark also

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

For the most part the furniture in the premises is grand.

Only thing is the sofas are beige and are a little grubby if i'm being honest.

Also the main bedroom mattress isn't the best either. Everything else is fine.

I'm a bit of a clean freak when it comes to things like that. Sleeping on a old & grubby mattress wouldnt sit well with me. Similarly with the sofa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Can you put throws on the sofa? As for the bed, is it a frame type that you could put the old mattress underneath?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Girl About Town FoodieEdition

Is it even possible to let unfurnished?? I've been looking and everything seems to be furnished. We are relocating from the states and would like to bring our things. Are storage facilities very expensive there??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Best thing to do is ask when you are viewing the property because each landlord will be different. For example; I have my own fridge, in one flat the landlord said I could put his fridge in a storage room but anther landlord said that he had nowhere to put the fridge so it stayed where it was.

I would personally always inform the landlord in case he wanted to use the fridge (in your case sofa) for another property.

Advertisement