Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ipad - What do you do with yours?

• 26-09-2012 11:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭

So I bought a second hand ipad, first generation, however I have to say I dont get much use out of it besides just general browsing on Safari and playing a few games etc downloaded from the app store. I have an iphone 4 and feel I could have stuck with this.

What am I missing out on? How can I optimize my use of the Ipad?
    What do you do with yours?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I for one will be watching the Ryder Cup on mine this weekend while the missis gets her fill of X-Factor and whatnot on the TV. :)

I find my iPad enables me to entertain myself while the most mindless drivel goes unnoticed across the room!

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

Yeah its good for surfing the web, especially for viewing/replying to threads here and other stuff the phone is too small for.

Use it for listening to music/podcasts.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Email
    Flipboard
    Facetime/Skype to friends abroad
    Viewing YouTube
    RTE Player, 4oD Player, Netflix
    Reading news
    eBooks
    Watching live Tv on the go (Irish Channels) on Aertv.ie
    Maps for finding somewhere in advance

Get a lot of use out of it to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Browse, books, comics, play music and radio, sky sports TV, netflix are my main uses.

Hours upon hours spent on flipboard too :)

maximoose wrote: »
    Browse, books, comics, play music and radio, sky sports TV, netflix are my main uses.

Hours upon hours spent on flipboard too :)

Don't use it half as much as I should. Cool app though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

I haven't used mine in ages tbh but started again recently. I'd forgotten how handy they are. It's just so much easier to use rather than firing up the laptop.

With the Champions League back, it's great when the missus wants to watch the TV, I can sit beside her and watch the match on aertv.ie. Again, much handier than a laptop, avoiding the issue of finding steams etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

it is so fast to switch on I use it to look up phone numbers, watch Tv,( with DADES on that one) read the newspapers, check my email, go on boards.ie, book my golf online, look up recipies and it is a live real time encyclopedia for every question that arises in daily life, just can't leave it alone!! and I am a still working 60 year-old... hardly ever use my lovely big laptop anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Hurricane Carter

I sold it.

Got a MB Air, much better for my needs. I found the iPad quite useless for me.

I Am Kong! wrote: »
    I sold it.

Horses for courses I guess.

Im writing this on my Sony Vaio Laptop...........while on Facebook on my iPad :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I use it for reading pdf's.

I think of selling it every now and then as I don't feel I make use of it enough and a cheaper Android tablet would do the job.....but then retina screen is so nice to read on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭cuilteanna

I rarely use mine since I got a MacBook Air. I just prefer having a keyboard, and of course the instant-on that makes it so far superior to my big laptop, but it's all about what your needs are. For me the iPhone and the Air are a perfect combination and the iPad will be finding a new home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

I Am Kong! wrote: »
    I sold it.

I have both, but I'd defo ditch the ipad for the Air if it came down to it. Ipad is a convenience, and as much as I love it, it's a dispensable luxury (as long as I have the MB Air!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭mel123

Thanks for all the replies guys. It seems I am not really missing much at all, and this is just an expensive toy to browse the net, play games etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

mel123 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies guys. It seems I am not really missing much at all, and this is just an expensive toy to browse the net, play games etc etc

It is definitely not a necessity, but it's a bloody beautiful luxury toy to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

I use mine everyday for most of the above mentioned in other posts.

Also stream alot of my local media to it when in bed!

Someone else mentioned it turns on quickly so is handy but to be honest, I rarely if ever switch it off.

Oh also use it for airplay to ATV2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Some people have weird expectations that they will be doing great new things with it.

I use it for browsing 95% of the time, great battery, very light and gives instant access, can use it everywhere around the house and its much easier to type than a smart phone.

Otherwise ill use it for a bit of skype or netflix, its also handy for travel where i watch movies/shows in the air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Mainly browsing, and reading books, comics and magazines (which phone and MBA are unsuitable for).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

mel123 wrote: »

Get a nexus 7 instead. Cheaper. Does the same stuff. Just doens't have as nice a screen.
    If I do sell mine I would get a nexus7 instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Does anybody have issues on boards on their iPads? I have an iPad 2 and when I click on "my forums" in the top right corner, the drop down menu opens, but most of the time when I click on a forum name, nothing happens. Does this happen to anybody else? This happens on both Chrome and Safari

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

BDJW wrote: »
    Does anybody have issues on boards on their iPads? I have an iPad 2 and when I click on "my forums" in the top right corner, the drop down menu opens, but most of the time when I click on a forum name, nothing happens. Does this happen to anybody else? This happens on both Chrome and Safari

it works for me but some of those dropdown menus can flash up and dissapear etc. there is a boards app you can use, i prefer the browser though

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Happens to me too and I'll go use Chrome for a while and then back to Safari and it's fixed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I have the new ipad, 16GB wifi + 3G.

Browsing the internet mainly. Plus the usual Facebook, email etc. I have quite a few sites as apps such as Ebay, Tripadvisor, the Daily Mail.

Will be using it a lot when I travel, much easier than bringing a laptop. I have to go to the UK once a month or so.

Reading magazines. I bought some subscriptions.

Studying - I have some of my actuary exam notes on it.

Listening to music - speaker is better than on iphone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Happening to me all this week. I had my sisters iPad for a few days, and loved it. I want one now :)

Some thinks i figured out :
    I bet you were in portrait mode......

Turn it to Landscape and it works perfect :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

I use my Ipad2 for all the stuff mentioned. I also use a camera connection kit to hook up midi devices such as keyboards and drum pads for creating music with all the excellent music production apps. I also use my Ipad via a wireless connection to control parameters within music programs on my MBP. I also use it as a design tool with photoshop touch and some of the video editing software like avid or pinnacle.

I suppose it is what you make of it. Maybe you have a hobby that the ipad can come in handy for.

XctR7.jpg?1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,897 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Happens me all the time and it's a pain in the arse. Combined with no floating header and no bottom breadcrumbs, the user experience is getting worse on iPad.

I use my iPad all the time, mainly for social media interaction when I'm on the move. I find it great for reading, posting etc and, as someone else said, it's a fantastic luxury.

I fly regularly and with a 64 gig iPad I can just load it up with my movies and watch them on a bigger screen than in flight entertainment, happy days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Stab*City wrote: »
    I also use my Ipad via a wireless connection to control parameters within music programs on my MBP

Please tell me you're referring to logic and you're going to tell me the app you use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

It's a great sales aid. I put PDFs in it and it is a great way to engage a customer. Fast flipping between pages etc

I found that instead of tapping the link if you slide your finger onto it and hold then tap it works.. bit of a knack to it!

Please tell me you're referring to logic and you're going to tell me the app you use?

Sorry not using Logic using Ableton. But im sure the same programs with work if there is a logic template available..

http://hexler.net/software/touchosc

just had a look at the site again there and ya there are logic videos there on how to get it working..

Also search the app store for logic

also loads of midi designer apps there so you can design your own controller for logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Can you use Youtube on it? Or any Flash?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

mitosis wrote: »
    Can you use Youtube on it? Or any Flash?
    Yes, via YouTube's own app and many others.

And no flash unless jailbroken and even then it's dodgy. You'll never miss it, though.

Advertisement