Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ipad - What do you do with yours?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

I've an ipad one and mainly just get frustrated at how slow it is and how often apps crash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

subway wrote: »
    I've an ipad one and mainly just get frustrated at how slow it is and how often apps crash

Slow at what? What apps are crashing and what version ipad do you have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭beardo81

Can't get near my iPad 1 these days, the wife and kids have commandeered it. One year old boy loves the learning games on it, plus its super tough and has survived many a drop into the floor!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

Why have so many men on here lost control of their tvs and even their iPads? Who bought the TV? Do you hand over your nuts in a little bag when you give her the remote?

adox wrote: »
    Slow at what? What apps are crashing and what version ipad do you have?

First gen ipad on 5.0.1. Mainly use safari and Facebook.
    Both regularly freeze or shutdown. Tend not to use it because of that. Also use cloud reader, that doesn't freeze but sometimes can't open books for no reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

subway wrote: »
    First gen ipad on 5.0.1. Mainly use safari and Facebook.
    Both regularly freeze or shutdown. Tend not to use it because of that. Also use cloud reader, that doesn't freeze but sometimes can't open books for no reason.

I've seen this also on a first-gen iPad since upgrading it to iOS 5. I assume it's due to the low RAM.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Greylor

My iPad (granted it is the new iPad, not the iPad 1) is essential for work and has become an integral part of my personal life as well. I've gotten a Belkin keyboard cover as well to protect it and radically increase the speed with which I can type on it.

The nature of my job (Procurement and IT manager for a hospital) is that I am constantly on the move around the building and need to keep track of a number of large projects simultaneously, and then deal with a constant barrage of small requests from any of about 50 people at any given time (impossible to keep track of otherwise without clearing the Amazon forest of trees to make paper).

It's all managed via an app called 2Do which is a brilliant to-do app with enough detail and customizability to do exactly what I want it to do, while being simple enough to be user friendly.

Other than that I use it for:
    - E-mail app to view and send e-mails on-the-move.
    - Contact list app to keep my entire contact list with me at all times (great in conjunction with my iPhone which is sync'd over the cloud)
    - Multiple Calculator apps which are great for when I need to work things out on the move, or need to convert currency (often need to convert between Euro and GBP or USD). Comes in more handy than you would expect.
    - Logmein app to remote-access into my PC from anywhere...helps to get around the limited data-creation capabilities of the iPad.
    - oneSafe to store credit card info, bank account info, user account info etc.
    - CamCard HD app to scan business cards right into my address book so that I have a huge database of supplier and work contacts.
    - Barcode scanner app which comes in handy once in a while when products come in with the barcode and I want to learn more about them.
    - Fing app: Great app for scanning the hospital network to find a free IP address to allocate to new hardware.
    - My Measures app for adding dimensions to pictures which I use all the time for when a department wants something like a trolleys, beds, surgical equipment etc.
    - Skype/FaceTime apps for when the boss wants to actually see something but is in another country.
    - DocScanner app which is VERY useful for scanning business documents and then e-mailing them as PDFs. Use this all the time.

On a more non-professional side:
    - News apps to keep me up to date with things
    - Mobile web browsing on a decent sized screen for obvious reasons
    - PC Gamer app so that I can get digital copies from the subscription (which is considerably cheaper than a hardcopy subscripion)
    - Panoramic camera pictures are cool as well.
    - Facebook app for the odd occassion that I'm in the mood to have a look.
    - iTunes for downloading movies to keep me entertained when I am travelling (waiting in an airport or in-flight).

And the list goes on :)

vinnycoyne wrote: »
    I've seen this also on a first-gen iPad since upgrading it to iOS 5. I assume it's due to the low RAM.

was the same on 4.3.3, was recommended to update to 5.0.1 to get rid of the issue...
    first gen pad is basically an underpowered POS, can't even handle multi tab browsing (always reloading the off screen pages). havent had the luxury of using the later ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Pythia wrote: »
    Studying - I have some of my actuary exam notes on it.

Same here! Fair play to Acted for bringing out digital version of their course notes.

I watch stuff in bed with mine (either on VLC or streamed to it from a PC over WIFI using AirVideo) - very quiet and doesn't disturb the missus like a laptop would. Then again, she's usually reading or facebooking on hers beside me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Yakuza wrote: »
    Same here! Fair play to Acted for bringing out digital version of their course notes.

I watch stuff in bed with mine (either on VLC or streamed to it from a PC over WIFI using AirVideo) - very quiet and doesn't disturb the missus like a laptop would. Then again, she's usually reading or facebooking on hers beside me :)

Hello fellow actuary! Hope you are having a good exam season! :)

Airvideo sounds good, will download that now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Dades wrote: »
    I for one will be watching the Ryder Cup on mine this weekend while the missis gets her fill of X-Factor and whatnot on the TV. :)

I find my iPad enables me to entertain myself while the most mindless drivel goes unnoticed across the room!

What is the best site to watch the Ryder cup on the ipad?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭fatherbuzcagney

Greylor wrote: »
    My iPad (granted it is the new iPad, not the iPad 1) is essential for work and has become an integral part of my personal life as well. I've gotten a Belkin keyboard cover as well to protect it and radically increase the speed with which I can type on it.

The nature of my job (Procurement and IT manager for a hospital) is that I am constantly on the move around the building and need to keep track of a number of large projects simultaneously, and then deal with a constant barrage of small requests from any of about 50 people at any given time (impossible to keep track of otherwise without clearing the Amazon forest of trees to make paper).

It's all managed via an app called 2Do which is a brilliant to-do app with enough detail and customizability to do exactly what I want it to do, while being simple enough to be user friendly.

Other than that I use it for:
    - E-mail app to view and send e-mails on-the-move.
    - Contact list app to keep my entire contact list with me at all times (great in conjunction with my iPhone which is sync'd over the cloud)
    - Multiple Calculator apps which are great for when I need to work things out on the move, or need to convert currency (often need to convert between Euro and GBP or USD). Comes in more handy than you would expect.
    - Logmein app to remote-access into my PC from anywhere...helps to get around the limited data-creation capabilities of the iPad.
    - oneSafe to store credit card info, bank account info, user account info etc.
    - CamCard HD app to scan business cards right into my address book so that I have a huge database of supplier and work contacts.
    - Barcode scanner app which comes in handy once in a while when products come in with the barcode and I want to learn more about them.
    - Fing app: Great app for scanning the hospital network to find a free IP address to allocate to new hardware.
    - My Measures app for adding dimensions to pictures which I use all the time for when a department wants something like a trolleys, beds, surgical equipment etc.
    - Skype/FaceTime apps for when the boss wants to actually see something but is in another country.
    - DocScanner app which is VERY useful for scanning business documents and then e-mailing them as PDFs. Use this all the time.

On a more non-professional side:
    - News apps to keep me up to date with things
    - Mobile web browsing on a decent sized screen for obvious reasons
    - PC Gamer app so that I can get digital copies from the subscription (which is considerably cheaper than a hardcopy subscripion)
    - Panoramic camera pictures are cool as well.
    - Facebook app for the odd occassion that I'm in the mood to have a look.
    - iTunes for downloading movies to keep me entertained when I am travelling (waiting in an airport or in-flight).

And the list goes on :)

:cool:I find it handier than lugging the laptop into the small toilet under the stairs:o

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

dixiefly wrote: »
    What is the best site to watch the Ryder cup on the ipad?

Thanks
    I use a Sky Go subscription, tbh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Flipboard, just discovered, wow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    Flipboard, just discovered, wow!

It really is a great app, get all your interests on to it and it'll keep you occupied for hours!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭ArklowHoop

Got my mam the new one for her birthday,all she uses it for is to read her 1 and only eBook!

I've basically taken over it,I find it a lot better than a laptop for browsing

And watching sky go on it is brilliant along with aertv,rte player and 3 player.

Also have a bit of craic playing along with the million pound drop live!

Fantastic piece of kit if you make use of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ROS123

Flipboard is the most impressive app on iPad IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭WillyWonka

All the above, plus it's great for photos (I use smug mug and have the app to view the photos I put online)

Use it with Apple TV for AirPlay and as a remote for the ATV.

Mainly browsing though. You just can't beat the convenience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭Armonline

I use it on a dock in our Kitchen as a multi purpose device. it is playing streaming radio most of the time, but then use it for watching live TV via AerTV and catchup TV via RTE Player and 4OD. I also use the Plex client to stream movies from a PC running Plex media server so that i can watch all my movies. Other than than it is used for ocasional web browsing but is also great for educational games fro the kids.

Some people think of the iPad as a laptop replacement, but it is a different type of device to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

If you like Flipboard you might like Zite. Not quite as good but similar concept and worth a look IMO,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Armonline wrote: »
    I use it on a dock in our Kitchen as a multi purpose device. it is playing streaming radio most of the time, but then use it for watching live TV via AerTV and catchup TV via RTE Player and 4OD. I also use the Plex client to stream movies from a PC running Plex media server so that i can watch all my movies. Other than than it is used for ocasional web browsing but is also great for educational games fro the kids.

Some people think of the iPad as a laptop replacement, but it is a different type of device to that.

Would you not be worried about steam getting into it from cooking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭Armonline

Pythia wrote: »
    Would you not be worried about steam getting into it from cooking?

No, it is an IPad 1 and have had it in the kitchen for a few years now and never had a problem with it and steam. it is handy for online recipies and for youtube cooking tips also,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Dades wrote: »
    Yes, via YouTube's own app and many others.

And no flash unless jailbroken and even then it's dodgy. You'll never miss it, though.

I use the Puffin browser for flash sites, it has some kind of of flash in the cloud thing.

It wasn't very good at first with pretty choppy video, but after a few updates it got pretty good and works very well now.
    Not sure how it works with flash games as I haven't tried any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

For those who use Skype on it, how do you find the audio quality? Do you use a headset or anything with it? Or just use the in built mic and speakers?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 VINCWM

Oh Apple. You genius at making people buy things they don't need.

Mine's lying somewhere under a pile of books on my desk. Seriously hardly ever use it.
    Seemed like such a good idea to buy one at the time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I got mine over the summer and use it every day.

I take it to college and take all my notes on it, everything is neat and tidy and I can put pictures in.

I use it for reading ebooks and magazines.
    For basic Internet use.
    For watching TV and movies, filmon, rte player, 4od and of course the king of them all Netflix.
    I do some gaming not much though.
    Listen to podcasts and radio.

I love it, I would say I haven't used my laptop 10 times since I got it, the best thing for me is that it's on all the time, I never have to wait for it to boot. Wouldn't be without an iPad ever again, it's great at what it does but is not a laptop replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Black Smoke

I find my iPad very versatile in the kitchen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itUMO7VLl0M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

ROS123 wrote: »
    Flipboard is the most impressive app on iPad IMO.

Pulse 360...without a doubt the best news app on the ipad..

Advertisement