Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Badge of Honour /99 game - children scratching themselves

Options
  • 26-09-2012 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Im not sure if the Sligo forum is the best place to post this (mod please move if you think it is not) , but the incident I am aware of happened in Sligo/Leitrim.

I collected my 11 year old niece from school recently and she told me of a game that is being played in at least one school near hers. She said that its called the 99 Game or sometimes Badge of Honour, and involves the children scratching or tearing their own skin. She didnt know much more about the game, but from what I gathered, it is done by children around the ages of 11-14. If this game is occuring, it is really worrying and I think its something which needs to be highlighted to parents.

Has anyone else heard their children or young relatives speak about this game? What exactly happens and what is the reason why the children play this game?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭itac

Dunno if this is any good to you, but this game was played when I was in the Ursuline secondary school (mid nineties!) Can't remember the exact name of it, but the basic gist was you & your best friend scratched the top of each others hand 99times at the same time (or until it got too painful!) and had matching scars to prove that you were both best friends-a blood brothers type agreement, but for girls!

It was big for a year or so and then a mixture of teachers giving out to students and growing up (think it was first or second year it happened in) saw it's decline, certainly in my year anyhoo. Didn't see the point to it and didn't try it myself, but it sounds similar. Maybe bring it to the attention of the school/teacher, as well as parents? Hope that's of some help!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Ditto on what was said above and I went to the same school.

God's truth though I don't remember why it was done. Just one of those stupid games where it was who could hold out longer really. Though then it started escalating to being done on the arms too. Absolutely idiotic looking back on it now. When young you're impressionable even over silly things I guess.

Bring it to the schools attention definitely as I think things like this are more dangerous these days with social networks and it could evolve into bullying. Sad enough case already in Sligo without this getting out of hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭66dunaras

Thanks guys, thats been very informative! if anyone else has experienced it let me know. It sounds a quite bizarre game :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

It is odd. It was coupled in with "black magic" as well when I was at school. It wasn't a game forced on anyone but most people gave it a go all the same.

We were just bored and young, so a new game sparked an interest.

However with the extent of so much information at our fingertips due to the expansion of the internet, I'd err on the side of caution that there's a possibilty it could escalate.

Most likely it won't but no harm nipping it in the bud. Silly silly game!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

We had Chinese Burns, Knuckles and Nailshocks (that was our name for it, bite down on the middle of the nail on both index fingers for 30 seconds then hook your fingers and pull. Pain city) to name but a few silly school games to show your tough. We thought they were great as kids but looking back now as adults are daftness personified. All part of growing up as long as there's nothing more sinister to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

When I was in first/second year of the Mercy the 'thing' to do was carve the name of the boy you 'love' into your skin with the end of a compass. I remember a few girls getting freaked out at the length of time it took the cuts to heal and the trend soon wore off (or they just grew up) :rolleyes:

I wouldn't worry too much about it but maybe have a gentle chat with your child/niece about the effects of scarring and knowing your boundaries when dabbling in these kinds of games.

Advertisement