Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming Monitor to replace TV

Options
  • 26-09-2012 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I never ordered any monitor when I got my new PC last week as I have a 32" FULL HD LED LG TV and I'm using the VGA connection on that.

Biggest problem I'm having is that the display is just too big and I'm too close to it with a keyboard and mouse.

I've been looking around for a proper PC monitor, something smaller 23"-24". I've about €200 to spend on one.

Can anyone recommend one for me?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

I've seen this monitor recommended here a good few times, never seen one myself though so cant give a personal opinion. It comes about €20 over-budget though.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭TheTacticsGuy

I've seen this monitor recommended here a good few times, never seen one myself though so cant give a personal opinion. It comes about €20 over-budget though.

Yeah I found that too, Komplett had the 24" model for €230 but they are out of stock at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

Yeah I found that too, Komplett had the 24" model for €230 but they are out of stock at the moment.

They used to stock the 23" at a good price too but they haven't had it in a while, maybe they don't stock them anymore?

They used to stock the 23" at a good price too but they haven't had it in a while, maybe they don't stock them anymore?

Yeah maybe your right. Where are the best places for deals on monitors?
    I've looked on:
    • Komplett
    • Pixmania
    • Amazon
    • Dabs
    • Elara
    • Expansys

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Comments of ghosting in the amazon reviews and its rated at 8ms which is a tad high, if its for gaming I'd look for 5 or less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

I got my dell u2312hm off komplett a few weeks ago for 184.99. Went out of stock very fast then when it came back it was 189.99, out of stock again... back in at 199.99 and now it has disappeared off the site :D Strange!

It's a great monitor, I run it on lowest brightness and uses only 12w

I didn't notice any difference in response time coming from a 2ms samsung screen.

There's also this IPS screen which is similar to the dell

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=62093&agid=1649&pvid=119hdu4kvo_h7izziiv&ref=105&lb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Can't find much info about it but looks like a good screen for the price. It's not a proper 3d screen though (those are 120hz, that lg is the standard 60)

Yeah I noticed that its only 60Hz. I've bought LG products before and never had a problem, its also got a better response time compared to the 23" dell

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Yeah maybe your right. Where are the best places for deals on monitors?
    I've looked on:
    • Komplett
    • Pixmania
    • Amazon
    • Dabs
    • Elara
    • Expansys

scan.co.uk
    overclockers*
    ebuyer*

*not sure of irish delivery but good for ideas

• Advertisement

Another problem I'm having is when I run BF3 I'm getting 100+ FPS and with a 60Hz tv I'm getting some screen tearing.

Should I start looking into a 120Hz monitor???

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Enable vSync.

ED E wrote: »
    Enable vSync.

Yeah I'll that but I still need to replace the TV with a monitor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭N64

The dell u2312hm does not have any noticeable ghosting on it from the 8ms response time. I have mine for a couple of moths and I love it :D

N64 wrote: »
    The dell u2312hm does not have any noticeable ghosting on it from the 8ms response time. I have mine for a couple of moths and I love it :D

From what I've read on the web, about 70% of people's reviews gave out about ghosting on that monitor and alot of them were playing games on it.

I'm just finding it really difficult to find a monitor for < €250 that has a good response time, good contrast, excellent refresh rate (120Hz) etc and then I'm caught between IPS Vs TN etc

Its not often I have money to spare so I'm looking for the best possible monitor for gaming primarily.

I played counter strike:GO on it (which is defiently a game you would notice ghosting on) and I didnt experince any.

It may just be up to the individual

N64 wrote: »
    I played counter strike:GO on it (which is defiently a game you would notice ghosting on) and I didnt experince any.

It may just be up to the individual

Yeah I agree

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

ED E wrote: »
    Comments of ghosting in the amazon reviews and its rated at 8ms which is a tad high, if its for gaming I'd look for 5 or less.

i got 2 of those on my main pc and those are the best bang for your money monitors.

i am pure gamer and they do very well in gaming, i could not see a difference between my old TN panel and 2312hm in ghosting or laging.

I'm down to 2 monitors:
    • Dell Ultrasharp U2412M 24 inch IPS Widescreen LED Monitor
    • BenQ XL2410T 24 inch LED Monitor

So basically IPS monitor vs 120Hz monitor and the BenQ is about €80 more expensive?

Any advice/comments?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I bought a Dell Ultrasharp U2412M 24 inch IPS Widescreen LED Monitor last week and im delighted with it.
    Couldnt recommend it more.
    Great image quality,no ghosting or lag,perfect size [i went from 32" high spec tv to this],colours are superb with eye popping vibrancy.

eAHSrl.jpg

• Advertisement

Dcully wrote: »
    I bought a Dell Ultrasharp U2412M 24 inch IPS Widescreen LED Monitor last week and im delighted with it.
    Couldnt recommend it more.
    Great image quality,no ghosting or lag,perfect size [i went from 32" high spec tv to this],colours are superb with eye popping vibrancy.

What kind of games do you play on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I don't know what is he playing, but I play:

BF3
    Borderlands 2
    Minecraft
    Wow
    Tropico 4
    Eve online
    Test drive unlimited 2
    Driver 3
    Starcraft 2
    Diablo 3
    Counter strike go
    Jagged alliance
    Heroes 6
    Civilisation 5
    Sins of solar empire

A good few more, but those are just the top of my head. All work perfectly on 2312hm, which is a little brother of 2412hm.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I'm down to 2 monitors:
    • Dell Ultrasharp U2412M 24 inch IPS Widescreen LED Monitor
    • BenQ XL2410T 24 inch LED Monitor

So basically IPS monitor vs 120Hz monitor and the BenQ is about €80 more expensive?

Any advice/comments?

Personally I think that you unless you need 3D, the IPS is the way to go. IMO all the other benefits that IPS offers in terms of viewing angles, picture quality etc far outweigh the relatively limited number of scenarios where a 120Hz might provide a slightly smoother gaming experience. All the moreso when the 120Hz costs 80 quid more.

This is a very thorough review of the U2412m, it really doesn't have any serious issues ghosting or input lag at al.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2412m.htm

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Everything from BF3 to world of warcraft.
    Ive over 200 games on my rig covering every single genre,everything ive played so far was fantastic.
    Tribes Ascend was the first game i tried purely for its fast paced fps and instantly i was delighted with response times etc,no ghosting or lag.

Well the only reason I started looking into a 120Hz monitor was because my graphics card can pump out > 100 FPS when playing BF3 on High settings and with the 60Hz TV I have I'm seeing a serious amount of screen tearing.

I don't like using vsync because the input lag drives me crazy

So after more research I'm really leaning towards the Dell U2312HM.

One thing to take in to account is the anti glare coating dell apply to the screen.

When I first got the monitor, I thought I would not be able to stick it, but after a few days of using it, I hardly noticed it. It really does take a bit of time to get adjusted to especially if your previous monitor was glossy.

Advertisement