Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final pay cheque from job incorrect

Options
  • 26-09-2012 12:06pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 265 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I recently left my previous job for a new one and today received my last pay cheque which is substantially short.

As part of my T&C of the old job, I was required to give 1 months notice. Due to being owed 10 days holiday, I handed in my 1 months notice, with a request to take 10 days holiday as part of the notice period. This was agreed to with my then employer.

I got paid this morning, and discovered that it was substantially less than I would have expected, and duly queried the HR representative, who acknowledged that I was indeed under paid by 8 days, and that this would be paid to me in the October payroll window, which is this day next month.

This seems a little ridiculous to me, surely I'm entitled to have this rectified immediately, or are they within their rights to hold off on paying me the rest of my salary until next month?

And how is this likely to affect them issuing my P45?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Gingernuts31

OSI wrote: »
    I recently left my previous job for a new one and today received my last pay cheque which is substantially short.

As part of my T&C of the old job, I was required to give 1 months notice. Due to being owed 10 days holiday, I handed in my 1 months notice, with a request to take 10 days holiday as part of the notice period. This was agreed to with my then employer.

I got paid this morning, and discovered that it was substantially less than I would have expected, and duly queried the HR representative, who acknowledged that I was indeed under paid by 8 days, and that this would be paid to me in the October payroll window, which is this day next month.

This seems a little ridiculous to me, surely I'm entitled to have this rectified immediately, or are they within their rights to hold off on paying me the rest of my salary until next month?

And how is this likely to affect them issuing my P45?

Think that's the norm now that they wait untill the next pay date. You could ask them for a cheque with the deductions made from it already if any are due (tax, prsi, usc). You won't get your P45 untill the final payment is made as it will show your final pay from the employment and also amount of USC, TAX, PRSI you paid. Have you a new job lined up that will be waiting on your P45?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭GoodisonPark

Strictly speaking you must get your P45 on the date that you leave and all payments should be up-to-date as well.

If you are not given a P45 when you leave your job you should first ask your employer for it. If the employer does not supply it you should contact your local tax office. Revenue will contact the employer and obtain your P45 for you. If you have started a new job, Revenue will send you a new tax credit certificate so you will not have to pay emergency tax in your new job.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Strictly speaking you must get your P45 on the date that you leave and all payments should be up-to-date as well.

If you are not given a P45 when you leave your job you should first ask your employer for it. If the employer does not supply it you should contact your local tax office. Revenue will contact the employer and obtain your P45 for you. If you have started a new job, Revenue will send you a new tax credit certificate so you will not have to pay emergency tax in your new job.

But the OP hasn't left yet!

The last day at work my have been last week - but s/he is on leave for another 10 days yet.

Acutally, I'm surprised that the company agreed to this: because you accrue even more annual leave while you're on leave, most will just agree an earlier than usual end day, and pay out out on that date.

OP - get your new employers registration number, and call Revenue with it. They need to know your finish date in the old job too. They may well put you on "week one basis" in the new job, meaning that the new employer doesn't need your old P45 to work out your tax. Even if they don't do that, emergency tax for the first few weeks is only about 20%-ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

As Just Mary says, your official finish date spans two pay periods. Also bear in mind, if you get paid on the 30th of the month, most places will request all adjustments to be in by about the 25th. Anything received between the 25th and 30th go to the next pay run. So for eg, if you are finishing up on the 30th, but your manager informs payroll on the 26th that you are leaving and to be paid out for your AL, then they probably won't get to calculate the AL til you actually finish and then they issue it in the next pay period. Due to most systems being automated it is very difficult to issue someone with a P45 on their last day unless you are able to completely clear their owed money before running that pay period.
    JustMary wrote: »
    But the OP hasn't left yet!

OP - get your new employers registration number, and call Revenue with it. They need to know your finish date in the old job too. They may well put you on "week one basis" in the new job, meaning that the new employer doesn't need your old P45 to work out your tax. Even if they don't do that, emergency tax for the first few weeks is only about 20%-ish.

As for the P45 thing, as above, just get the registration number for the new employer and phone Revenue immediately. They can then issue a new tax cert to your new employer and provided they get this before the payroll cut off date, you should not be subject to emergency tax.

Advertisement