Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What would you do ?

• 26-09-2012 12:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭

Was in wexford last week when I pulled into the car park of a shop.

A red focus was in front of me and tries to park in a space near by, beside an expensive new looking BMW , he tries to swing his car into the space and fails giving the BMW an almighty bang :O
    He whacked the BMW so hard that the car shook :O
    He pulls back and drives up a little (clearly not noticing me :confused:) gets out, checks his own car then hops back in. Had a feeling he was going to drive off so managed to take his reg quickly.

The rear side of the BMW was badly damaged - huge dint, and very badly scratched. Damage done was gonna easily be a good couple of hundred tto repair.

Waited around a short while so I could inform the owner what had happened. No one appeared, so ran into the shop quickly just to purchase a drink and just as I was running back out I see the the BMW driving out of the exist back onto the main road. Didn't even think of taken the BMW's reg.
    Don't know how they didn't notice the car damage :confused:

I taught the only thing I could do now as I don't live in the area is report it to the local guards.Rang the guards and gave details, reg etc.

My friend then tells me that what I done was a shi*ty move :/ That I should have just stayed out of it, and not of phoned the guards - what if it where me in the situation? Thinking I got away, then some B*tch reports you to the guards!

I'm presuming the guards didn't do much about it anyway. :rolleyes:

anyways my question...

If you hit a car, and taught no one was around to witness you do it but you knew you had caused damage to it:

would you drive off pretend it didn't happen and not have to worry about paying out for repairs for the persons car?

Or would you do a nice and honest thing by waiting around for the owner of the car to return and own up to what you done?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

You did the right thing. Fair play to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

What drink did you buy in the shop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

I hate when people say 'dint'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

BMW drivers are usually arrogant ****s, should have said nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

As in the guy in the red focus dint do it??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

SunnyDub1 wrote: »

My friend then tells me that what I done was a shi*ty move :/ That I should have just stayed out of it, and not of phoned the guards - what if it where me in the situation? Thinking I got away, then some B*tch reports you to the guards!

Your friend doesn't care because it wasn't their BMW. If it was they'd be cursing at any possible witnesses they found out didn't report it.

Stick by your own common sense and not the argumentative nature of your friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

That's a stupid attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

True but the f*cker who hit his BMW should of stayed and paid for the damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

You did right reporting it, the sh1tty thing to do was done by the focus driver, I would have reported them too, as I would be thinking they could easily do this again to someone else or I could have it done to me by some other d1ckhead and would want to know who did it. The shop might have had CCTV of the reg of the BMW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Anyone who hits a parked car and drives off without leaving their contact details is a fucking toe-rag.

You did the right thing OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

SunnyDub1 wrote: »

Your friend is a conniving muppet to say the least who obviously doesn't own a car. The leader of the "I got away with it brigade" doesn't see the other side of the coin that what if you were the car that got hit and there wasn't a sinner about to tell you how it happened. The respect people have for other peoples cars is nil these days.

Well done good Citizen for doing what you did, you're right, nothing may come of it but at least you can say you tried your best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

Red ford focus drivers are usually sneaky fuuckers, you were right to say something.

So answer the earlier question, what drink did you buy?

The beemer driver didn't notice??
    Maybe they did and went after the focus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

frag420 wrote: »
    What drink did you buy in the shop?

Not that it's relevant but a bottle of water... :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I want to tell you a story. I'm going to ask you to close your eyes while I tell you the story. I want you to listen to me. I want you to listen to yourself. Go ahead. Close your eyes, please. This is a story about a nice car sitting out in the parking lot of grocery store one sunny afternoon. I want you to picture this nice car. Suddenly another car races up. Spins around and knocks up next to it. It bangs up pretty hard and shakes the body. Now the driver comes out. Looks over his car and assesses the damage. And when he's done, he looks around to make sure no one has noticed. He jumps right back into his car and speeds off. Now there's just one thing he didn't figure on. There was a witness. He saw all that happened and had the wherewithall to take down the reg of the second car. He patiently waiting for the owner of the nice car that got knocked up with the best of intentions to advise them of what happened. But while he gained a fierce thirst and went to the shops to get something to drink. Upon leaving the shop he saw the nice car leaving the car park. He thought it odd initially as we can all expect, if my if our cars were to be beat up, we'd be stunned and trying to understand what happened. So after a bit of deliberation he decided to report the incident to the local good'ole boys in the event that the person who owned the nice little car made a complaint and they needed witnesses. Can you see it? I want you to picture that nice car. Now imagine it's yours.

I want to tell you a story. I'm going to ask you to close your eyes while I tell you the story. I want you to listen to me. I want you to listen to yourself. Go ahead. Close your eyes, please. This is a story about a nice car sitting out in the parking lot of grocery store one sunny afternoon. I want you to picture this nice car. Suddenly another car races up. Spins around and knocks up next to it. It bangs up pretty hard and shakes the body. Now the driver comes out. Looks over his car and assesses the damage. And when he's done, he looks around to make sure no one has noticed. He jumps right back into his car and speeds off. Now there's just one thing he didn't figure on. There was a witness. He saw all that happened and had the wherewithall to take down the reg of the second car. He patiently waiting for the owner of the nice car that got knocked up with the best of intentions to advise them of what happened. But while he gained a fierce thirst and went to the shops to get something to drink. Upon leaving the shop he saw the nice car leaving the car park. He thought it odd initially as we can all expect, if my if our cars were to be beat up, we'd be stunned and trying to understand what happened. So after a bit of deliberation he decided to report the incident to the local good'ole boys in the event that the person who owned the nice little car made a complaint and they needed witnesses. Can you see it? I want you to picture that nice car. Now imagine it's yours.

Good story bro.
    Have you checked your beemer for any dents lately?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Is Dravokivich really Derren Brown?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

tl,dr

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Dont know about anyone else but I found it very difficult to read the post with my eyes closed!:D

Advertisement