Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Wheel of Time

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

If you get the audio from Audible, and the books on kindle then as audible is owned by Amazon now, you can sync your reading position with your audio position, so read a bit, drive listening to the audio, then continue reading from where the audio left off.

It works pretty well, sometimes you may be a couple of pages behind if you lose coverage while listening to the audio e.g. going into an underground car park and turning off the audio before it can sync the position.

If you are getting the audiobook make sure that it is the version narrated
    by Michael Kramer, Kate Reading,

There is another abridged version read by some clown that tries to reinvent the pronunciation of everybody and everywhere on a chapter by chapter basis, painful to listen to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

$41.97?!?! Think I'll pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Register with audible through amazon for 15 quid a month you get 3 book credits, which means you can dl 3 books a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

I'd like to do a trial first before committing to that unless it's easy to cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

I agree with what someone said about the series being like a dodgy nightclub that you say you wont go back to again but you do:).
    There's some funny 1 liner quotes(mostly from Mat) about women or about looks he's gotten from them etc.To paraphrase a few "you'd be as well to understand the Sun as understand women" or about facial expression's "women could hold entire conversation's just by looks and expression's alone":).In the last book there's a funny quote from Mat about a hard faced general who he compares to Lan by saying something like "i'd love to see him and Lan in a staring contest against eachother,it would last for weeks"

• Advertisement

Finally starting a Memory of Light, fresh ground at last!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

Finally picked up the series again after a 10 year hiatus. Winter's Heart killed my enthusiasm. But my better half kept on trucking (after I'd got her into the series in the first place) and she was itching not to give away spoilers after she finished A Memory of Light.

I'm halfway through Towers of Midnight now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

On to book two and really enjoying it. It's gotten to the stage where I'm working out just how the minimum number of hours sleep I need before going to work in the morning!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Sleepy wrote: »
    On to book two and really enjoying it. It's gotten to the stage where I'm working out just how the minimum number of hours sleep I need before going to work in the morning!

Have you read them before? If not then be prepared for it to get a bit irritating around book 6/7. From then on every second book seems to be a big of a nothing filler type book. Still worth reading the whole series though imo.

First read. Everyone I've spoken to about it has said pretty much the same thing: from book 6/7 it gets crap for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

I'm so jealous of you that you're reading 1-5 and the end of 6 for the first time! Also deeply sympathetic of your ensuing encounter with 7-9, I stopped at 9, it really gets almost impossibly bad.

Finished!

Now ASOIAF or the Malazans for the next big re-read

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Well I'm halfway through 6 now and still enjoying it. Book 5 was quite epic for want of a better word, probably my favourite so far. I know it goes sh!te for a while but if it gets back to that level again by the end then I wont complain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

Finished!

I feel a sense of emptiness as if I just released my hold on Saidin...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,560 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

ciaranmac wrote: »
    Finished!

I feel a sense of emptiness as if I just released my hold on Saidin...

I wish I could balefire the final book out of existence.:pac:

Just starting into Book 3 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Jesus , 6 turned into an awful drag about midway through. Fair enough it ended well but I was really beginning to lose interest for a while.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Jesus , 6 turned into an awful drag about midway through. Fair enough it ended well but I was really beginning to lose interest for a while.
    If you think that's bad you'll have a real slog ahead of you...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭goose06

Finished A Memory of Light at the weekend, kinda of sad to think that's it after committing nearly 20 years of my life to the series.

goose06 wrote: »
    Finished A Memory of Light at the weekend, kinda of sad to think that's it after committing nearly 20 years of my life to the series.

Especially when you find that he meant to do 3 follow ons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭goose06

Especially when you find that he meant to do 3 follow ons.

I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing.

It's bad because he probably would've tied up a lot of things. For a guy who spent 3-4books on the Andor succesion, he left alot of open at the end.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Sleepy wrote: »
    Just starting into Book 3 :)

You poor bastard......start taking notes NOW.

However it is a good series,just dragged out far too long with so much filler by Jordan. I wish you luck with it, knowing that an end in sight will make reading it more enjoyable for you.
    (I had to re-read books 1-4 about 3 times as new books come out over the last 2 decades)

Finshed MoL 5 days ago............18 years of my life.
    One good thing to come of it is that I now am going to read Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

I finished MOL last weekend. It took me a while 'cause I kept going back to bits from old books (God bless the search function on the Kindle!). I think I just didn't want it to end! Reading back also really showed the vision that RJ had from very early stages.

I have to say, I found it MOL bit slow in the start. I was all revved up for action, and really had no idea of how the Last Battle between Rand and TDO would be played out. I did like how it was done though.

The last third of the book was what I was looking for - absolutely glued! And I definitely cried a couple of times, and got the shivers a lot. I've been reading this series for nine years, and it was weird to see plots being wrapped up rather than a whole pile of new threads :D being started.

Not sure that I loved the ending.
    Maybe I'm a romantic, but I would have liked to have actually read the part where the four of them head off into the sunset together.

I've read the whole series (bar the last book) twice, and I've re-read some of the books a third time. I'll probably never read them again now that it's over.

End of an era no doubt. I'm going to read a few shortie books now (in the middle of Clockwork Orange at the mo.), and then my next mission is either the Riftwar Saga, or else Game of Thrones - have read the first book of each. WoT was some commitment - but probably my most favourite read of all time so far.

Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson - I salute you!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

It's bad because he probably would've tied up a lot of things. For a guy who spent 3-4books on the Andor succesion, he left alot of open at the end.
    I have to agree. Just finished the series after restarting in December.

I must say i enjoyed the series despite Jordans cast of thousands. For a while i thought i knew every single person on the continent:D.

I wasnt a fan of Sanderson before or after i finished. I feel he rushed the ending, funny when i felt that Jordan was dragging it out.

As AncapaillMor says, there was a lot left just hanging or having a too-simple finish for me.

I would still recommend the series to anyone though:)

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

5live wrote: »
    I have to agree. Just finished the series after restarting in December.

I must say i enjoyed the series despite Jordans cast of thousands. For a while i thought i knew every single person on the continent:D.

I wasnt a fan of Sanderson before or after i finished. I feel he rushed the ending, funny when i felt that Jordan was dragging it out.

As AncapaillMor says, there was a lot left just hanging or having a too-simple finish for me.

I would still recommend the series to anyone though:)

I think the ending had been written by Jordan before he died and that was a condition of Sanderson taking over that he left the ending intact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

WofT....

I started reading these with book one when it was first published. Enjoyed. Waited less than a year for book two. Enjoyed. Book three about a year after that. A reasonable wait and enjoyed, although the multiplots started to get a bit tangled during the wait. Continued in this vein until the first two year wait for book eight. Stuck with it for another two of the two year waits. Lost the thread of the story. Lost interest in finding it again. Decided to wait until they were all finished and start again from book one.

I still haven't bothered. From what I'm hearing, the books don't live up to the page count. When you can measure a series in feet and inches, rather than volumes, the story better be epic. Jordan's story was good, but far from epic. It is to fantasy fiction what The Hobbit is to fantasy cinema. Bloated and too long by a large factor.

I think Jordan lost the plot with WofT, long before I did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

5starpool wrote: »
    I think the ending had been written by Jordan before he died and that was a condition of Sanderson taking over that he left the ending intact.

Yep.

I think the broad consensus is that AMOL is a pretty OK conclusion to the series, could have been a lot better, but Sanderson was hamstrung by the requirements.

I'd say he's pretty happy to just be finished with WOT and get back to his own universes.

I heard he wrote the last chapter first and then started the eye of the world next and worked from there. It was definately left open for more but him passing away ended that. I can understand the wife trying to keep his legacy with the books as his books, still bloody annoying though. His writing wasn't the best but the history\backstory blows me away, i'd love to see something with his ideas written by sanderson again.

• Advertisement

On book 4 now and have to admit the character of Nynaeve is really beginning to grate. Am I supposed to be rooting for such a misandrist with no self awareness or control whatsoever?

Hoping she has a future as a
    daman
    ahead of her!

Advertisement