Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Enda Kenny - Decisions will be implemented!

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

This thread confuses me.

Why don't ye beleive Enda on this one ?

The statements from these Finance ministers were just them spouting off. As Enda said - an agreement was made.

Also we have them over a barrell. Have ye all forgotten those letters from the ECB head that Enda has in his posession ? The ECB DO NOT want those getting out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

CucaFace wrote: »
    You see this is just the typical crap you see on here everyday.

I asked what you could do differently?

And you respond with nothing but bitterness and laying blame at everyone in the Govt past and present.

I have no great love for anyone in politics truth be told.

But Im sick of all this boo hoo hoo blame everyone, without any viable options being given of what can be done differently that would actually make a difference.

So you got anything bar insults/bitterness or abuse?
    All anyone asks is that Kenny and cabinet of clowns do their job. Do what they promised. But they seem incapable of it. They're not managing events. They're been swept along and seem clueless. They needed to engage with Europe and get a better deal for this country. They failed. They need to reform the public service but they hide behind the Croke Park agreement.

And they lie to us on a daily basis. This is despite what Kenny promised.

He is wrong man for the job. Bruton knew it and tried to oust him before the election. He was proved right.

We don't need to suggest how he should do it differently. All he has to do is to do the job he was elected to do. The one he told us he was going to do. If he's not up to it he should resign and let someone competent do it instead.

It's only a matter of time before there's another push to kick him out. The man is massively out of his depth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Biggins wrote: »
    What would I do?
    What would I personally?

I would try growing a set of balls and do partly what Iceland did.

1. I would tell the bondholders which was LEGALLY entitled to get money back - you will get it but by god, you will do so when the economy recovers. You will get your money when I take care of the people I'm actually elected to take care of.
    I would not be elected to bail out chancers foreign or domestic.
    Not a bad sentiment, but would only make it more difficult for us to borrow in the future. Germany/the EU/Imf have all stated they will not pay everything. Burn the bondholders and you only push up the rates they charge.

2. I would do actually what I say!
    I would not u-turn on many words spoken previously!
    I would not lie!
    I would stand up to Germany and TELL THEM this is how much you are getting per month, per year and at what rate I'm willing to pay it back - like it or fcuking lump it!
    Same response as the one above more or less.

3. I would bring in taxes for the every religious org in the country!
    About time!

4. I would start asset stripping the religious orgs till they pay back the full €1.5 billion they owe the state!
    About time!

5. I would see Cardinal Brady arrested!
    Yup

6. I would change the level of tax on higher earners - public and private sector!
    No. Thats essentially a tax on success, and as we see in France etc, with high upper bracket taxes, that only creates a wealth/lmowledge migration out of the country

7. I would re-address the Croke Park agreement.
    About time!

8. I would NOT bully one individual so that I can extort - sorry, tax - another!
    Example?

9. I would not break the laws of the land when I see fit, just to justify intimidation and bigotry.
    Example?

10. I would not use the utter miserable excuse that "well the others will be worse" as a petty excuse to justify my continued existence and behave like a fcuking asshole!
    Example?

11. I would tell the unions that have their high-end paid earners that they are NO LONGER ring-fenced in wages and perk!
    About time

12. I would cut 75 million in out of date allowances - I said I was going to do and not cow-tow to the overpaid (higher than country leader even) union heads!
    Good

The above is just a beginning.

Mine in red above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

We need to threaten to leave their precious €zone. If we leave, other may follow. It's our only weapon in negotiating with our continental betters. They are punishing us, the people of Ireland, for the actions of a core group of elite gamblers. Its hardball time. Eutocrats are terrified of the breakup of the Eurozone and while Ireland leaving wouldn't alone bring it down, it would probably open the flood gates.

Nobody else is that stupid.

Our little drop in the ocean country, is not going to influence anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Nobody else is that stupid.

Our little drop in the ocean country, is not going to influence anyone.

We could have brought the whole thing crashing down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Biggins its all well and grand talking about burning the bondholders and the telling the Germans where to go, but the reality is far more complex and shrewn with so many unknowns and potentially fatal outcomes for this countries future. And we still have a future as we are right now.

An elected leader should really not play poker with a countries actual financial future and existance.

You think things are bad now, but how bad could they get if our funding were stopped after we told everyone where to go?

Who would pay money into our banks where everyone gets their money from? Can you answer this?

Where would our Govt get money to pay for all our services that we need every day? Can you answer this?

Im sorry but its very easy to say the things you have said above, but its not really the option of one man to play with a whole nations future in such a reckless way.

Nobody knows what would happen that dodgy route and the Govt are playing the safe way, which is the way they (and any elected Govt) should be doing things.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

CucaFace wrote: »
    Biggins its all well and grand talking about burning the bondholders and the telling the Germans where to go, but the reality is far more complex and shrewn with so many unknowns and potentially fatal outcomes for this countries future. And we still have a future as we are right now.

An elected leader should really not play poker with a countries actual financial future and existance.

You think things are bad now, but how bad could they get if our funding were stopped after we told everyone where to go?

Who would pay money into our banks where everyone gets their money from? Can you answer this?

Where would our Govt get money to pay for all our services that we need every day? Can you answer this?

Im sorry but its very easy to say the things you have said above, but its not really the option of one man to play with a whole nations future in such a reckless way.

Nobody knows what would happen that dodgy route and the Govt are playing the safe way, which is the way they (and any elected Govt) should be doing things.

1. I would not stop funding to any EU department - I would tell them you WILL get money owed but at a rate WE can afford, not what you just demand!
    Constant payback is better than no payback at all and any body/government with half a head would see that "Well we WILL at least one way or another, get what money is owed!"

2. I would not burn the bondholders that were legally entitled to gain payback via a scheme they had paid into.
    As above, I would tell them something similar.
    That what I was not obliged to pay back for their possible gambling (remember the risks one takes with gambling! You lose as well as win?) - I would not!

3. As for the other latter question, given the tax intake per day/month/year we standard collect, I would use that based on triage system where the most vital of services first, get priority.
    Not cough it away on places that just might have own TD's which have shaky electoral areas!
    Not cough it away on websites which are just duplicating services and information already available.
    Meanwhile services like RTE who gain monetary finance from the private sector through advertising, sponsorship and now product placement (to say the least), can go fully fund themselves and stop grabbing off the state (the people)!

The above is the very short version.
    The more complicated version would take a mass of pages to fill here or anywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

All i'll say is there are very bright, innovative people in this country and they're not running it. Pity

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Toshchiy Imperatritsy Vselennoy

msg11 wrote: »
    In fairness, Europe are looking after us. Charging a fair price for it too. They never said it was going to be free on them posters.

Same way they never said they where going to create full time jobs, just jobs.

Damn snakes !

Well :)..no:) they are lending money we have to pay back with interest and they are forcing us to take it ...and they are forcing the terms we have to take it under because they lent money to people in the pivate sector here that they should not have.....so no they are not looking after us..and it really looks like they have saddled us with a huge public debt that was not public to begin with ..

• Advertisement

Yes its all big business and the citzens of this country are pawns. milk us for all we're worth and when we're dry kick us out to touch. We can see well over 10 years of this asuerity and still not be out of the red. Getting fed up of the it all. There is no one in irish politicis strong enough to stand up to this. And we will see government after government fumble their way bringing the country down the drain. It's all gone belly up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭DenMan

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

DenMan wrote: »
    The statement was at odds with an EU decision in June that gave Ireland hope of significantly reducing the burden placed on us by the overall bank debt.

Who is he trying to convince!
    The Yanks?
    The Irish?
    Both? (I suspect)
    Himself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭DenMan

He must be thinking 20-30 years down the line. When he get's back he has to with deal with the resignation of one of Junior Ministers and the shockwaves that will emanate from it once she is interviewed and voices her opinion. Quite possibly on The Late Late Show tomorrow evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

msg11 wrote: »
    In fairness, Europe are looking after us. Charging a fair price for it too. They never said it was going to be free on them posters.

Same way they never said they where going to create full time jobs, just jobs.

Damn snakes !

Of course you are right - and the vast majority of people in Ireland understand that. No one else was going to lend it to us and when you are in a club by your own choice, and getting enormous benefits from that membership, then doing our best to stick with the rules makes enormous sense.
    Germany in particular has been extremely good to us. After all the only conditions being imposed on us is that we get our economy sorted ... duh.
    And by getting our economy sorted now we are saving ourselves much longer pain, and we will be in an excellent position to take advantage of the recovery of the EU economies when it happens.
    There are and always will be bitter, angry, uninformed people who know no other way of dealing with things they don't understand than to lash out and abuse and insult and denigrate and criticise an whine.
    In Ireland we have seen how well adjusted and educated our people are. I am deeply proud of the fact that the Irish people have not followed the sad and pathetic path of so many posters on this forum, and who have instead understood exactly the predicament we are in and simply get on with making Ireland a better place.

Piliger wrote: »
    Of course you are right - and the vast majority of people in Ireland understand that. No one else was going to lend it to us and when you are in a club by your own choice, and getting enormous benefits from that membership, then doing our best to stick with the rules makes enormous sense.
    Germany in particular has been extremely good to us. After all the only conditions being imposed on us is that we get our economy sorted ... duh.
    And by getting our economy sorted now we are saving ourselves much longer pain, and we will be in an excellent position to take advantage of the recovery of the EU economies when it happens.
    There are and always will be bitter, angry, uninformed people who know no other way of dealing with things they don't understand than to lash out and abuse and insult and denigrate and criticise an whine.
    In Ireland we have seen how well adjusted and educated our people are. I am deeply proud of the fact that the Irish people have not followed the sad and pathetic path of so many posters on this forum, and who have instead understood exactly the predicament we are in and simply get on with making Ireland a better place.

Are you a spin doctor for the Government ? The majority of hard working irish people had no hand or act to play in our economic woes. A lot of people made serious money during the boom years and did so by serving their own self interest. It might seem as begrudery but these people are now still living in their lavish houses whilst those of us that just went about our normal daily lives have now to suffer the brunt of their greed. Yes income tax decreased and like others I benefited from that. But that as been well eroded now. I agree we need to get out of this mess but not to the point where people are dieing on waiting lists for hospital treatment. Not to the extinct that our Gardai don't have squad cars. Schools that were falling down during the good times and weren't replaced are still there. I maybe accused of being negative but i'm not going around with my head in the clouds. What erks most people is that we are paying back the greed of others. If I had to pay back every debt run up by gamblers in this country I wouldn't be happy. But this is what's being asked of me now by Europe. Life isn't over but it sure is getting un comfortable by the day.

• Advertisement
Advertisement