Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mcd tripping

Options
  • 26-09-2012 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭

last night one of the mcd's took to tripping it serves the upstairs lights x3 and the outdoor lights,1 security,1 in garge and 1 socket.what would cause it to do so?this morning i checked all the wires outdoors and nothing is wrong.disconnected each wire in turn and it still tripped.came in doors to test lights and the result is.if i leave all 3 on they stay on for at least 5 mins,1 bedroom less than 1 min and the other 1 min and the bathroom with the energy bulb over 2 mins

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

i would say its a short circuit in one of the lampholders of the lights ,turn off all the lights on the circuit and switch on one at a time and see which one trips the mcb

Could be a dodgy MCB too. Had the same problem at home a few months back. Spent ages checking the wiring for the lighting and couldnt find any problems. Changed the MCB in the end and that solved it. The house is not even 5 years old which I thought was strange. It happens

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bugsntinas

cheers for the replies.the funny,well not,thing is when the lights are turned on either all together or individually they don't trip it straight away.also when nothing is turned on it still trips after about 10 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

bugsntinas wrote: »
    cheers for the replies.the funny,well not,thing is when the lights are turned on either all together or individually they don't trip it straight away.also when nothing is turned on it still trips after about 10 mins.

check the outside lights
    are there any wires outside that are just taped up with insulation tape(sometimes water penetrates and wont instantly trip)

will do

• Advertisement

a socket should not be on with your lights either

what size (rating)trip activates
    10 or 20 amp

meercat wrote: »
    a socket should not be on with your lights either

what size (rating)trip activates
    10 or 20 amp

the socket was a diy job over a year ago.i have a light in the garage so i joined a cable to the feed.i've had no problems at all.the rating on the mcd is 10.we've been here for 5 years and this is the first time this one has tripped.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭scubapro

Do you have something plugged into the socket?

the socket was a diy job over a year ago.i have a light in the garage so i joined a cable to the feed.i've had no problems at all.the rating on the mcd is 10.we've been here for 5 years and this is the first time this one has tripped.

probably not why this is tripping now but i would advise you to remove the socket from this circuit as the cable is likely to be too small and sockets should be protected by a rcd

the trip you have a problem with is most commonly called a mcb
    (miniature circuit breaker)

nothing plugged into the socket when it started tripping as i always either remove plug or switch off the circuit breaker(safety socket thingy)the cable is nice thick stuff which was used for electric fencing and also the outside security light.don't want to start forking out money but i'm probably gonna have to get a new mcd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭LostInLM

nothing plugged into the socket when it started tripping as i always either remove plug or switch off the circuit breaker(safety socket thingy)the cable is nice thick stuff which was used for electric fencing and also the outside security light.don't want to start forking out money but i'm probably gonna have to get a new mcd.

Out of curiosity can you upload a picture of this setup?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭haulagebasher

Doesn't matter what cable is on the socket - the power is still coming to that thick cable through much lighter lighting wiring.
    You could have overloaded the lighing wires and coused a short.

I'd strongly advise getting rid of this spur. You're not supposed to put a socket spur onto a lighting circuit.

And it's mcb and rcd

Advertisement