Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas TV 2012

Options
  • 26-09-2012 1:49pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just setting up a thread to discuss what ye guys would like to see on TV over the Christmas period this year.

I know there is a Royle Family Christmas special planned for this year but I'm not all too bothered about seeing that if I'm honest. The last few have been a bit meh.

So what are all ye fellow Christmas nuts looking forward/hoping to see?? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

the usual christmas movies - you can't bet them.

wonderful life
    sound of music
    santa claus
    oliver
    my fair lady
    miracle on 34th street
    Willy Wonka

if these are not on, it's not christmas. Can anyone add to his "old fashioned" list.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,442 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Nightmare on elm St.
    Evil Dead
    Evil Dead 2
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Skerries wrote: »
    Nightmare on elm St.
    Evil Dead
    Evil Dead 2
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre

I think you maybe looking for the Halloween tv thread? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Hehe! I used to always hope they'd show Hocus Pocus at halloween, and often they didn't. Drove me potty. Have it on dvd now so don't care :)

Anyway Christmas telly. Yea I love the Royle's but the last couple of specials have been a bit pants (still need to buy them on DVD tho to go with all my others). Also there will be no Twiggy this year since the actor died RIP :(

I wonder will there be another Ab Fab special like last year?

There will be the oblig Doctor Who special (not into that so I couldn't give a rats). Also the oblig soaps. Again no interest.

I look forward to Christmas specials of progs I watch (there will prolly be a Downton Abbey one again, but I am behind with that so will have to wait for the DVD if I ain't caught up)

Christmas films are always good, although the same thing is shown about three times on three different channels over the course of the Christmas!

Then any special progs created for the Christmas - documentary type and the like :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭passremarkable

wonderful life
    sound of music
    santa claus
    oliver
    my fair lady
    miracle on 34th street
    Willy Wonka

if these are not on, it's not christmas. Can anyone add to his "old fashioned" list.

home alone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

It's not Christmas without a Die Hard film..

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭homersimpson

wonderful life
    sound of music
    santa claus
    oliver
    my fair lady
    miracle on 34th street
    Willy Wonka

Flying.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I love the Christmas food programmes on the digital channels! Like Nigella and Delian - esp Nigella Christmas - sooo christmassy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 murphysmom

A Charlie Brown Christmas (1965)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭scon86

What is your favorite christmas episode, it could be sitcon cartoon or any other tv series. I think friends and scrubs had so great ones but i really love The king of queens episode mentalo case

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

The Royle Family where Denise is going into Labour and Jim sits with her in the Bathroom and comforts her. I thought that was brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Threads merged :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭touts

Kings Speech will probably be the Christmas night movie. Toy Story 3 on the afternoon. The Fighter is my prediction for St Stephens night with The Social Network also popping up. With Bond off limits to all but Sky expect the Bourne Triolgy, Taken, Die Hard, etc to get high billing on the other stations as they look to compete in the action stakes.

There will be the usual specials. Downton Abbey. Doctor Who etc. The soaps will fill up the early evening on Christmas day and St Stephens with christmas misery to make you realise your life could be worse.

The lookback at the sporting year will be busy while the lookback at the news is probably best avoided unless you want to be miserable. Expect an Irish overseas for christmas special to go overboard on the sentiment.

The classic repeats will be where things are at. I hope for wall to wall Father Ted, Yes Minister, Only fools, and so on. The stations with those shows way down the list could well get a lot of my viewing time. That and "Mickey saves Santa" "The Polar Express" "Willie Wonka" "The snow man" and other childrens classics with the kids. In a strange way I'm looking forward to that. Only get a few years of that stuff.

Of course if they are going to kick Greece out of the euro they will probably do it over the Christmas holidays when the banks are shut so Sky News could yet be the ratings winner on Christmas day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭scon86

just watching american dad christmas episode now on bbc3 a christmas carol whoooo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

Its not Christmas til they show that 70's Christmas Budweiser ad which last year was the first year I never saw it on any station (Christmas never came for me last year as a result :()
    As for Royle Family Christmas, didnt the guy who played Twiggy die a few months ago? I love me some Royle Family, not the same since Nana died in it though

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I look forward to the Royle Family Christmas specials now with apprehension more than anything else. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I love the budweiser ad too pookiesboo and I dont recall seeing it last year either:-( I really don't know why they don't show it as much anymore. Also they were showing only a shortened version of it up to last year and I don't understand that either! Show the full length version for gods sake!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

The Muppet Christmas carol...

"Light the lamp, not the rat, light the lamp, not the rat! Put me out, put me out, put me out!"

Love it!

Scrooged...

"Will ya please, for the love a God, HOLD the God damned hammering"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Quite like watching the grumpy auld Xmas specials when they're on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭cookie75

Looking forward to Elf and Scrooged

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Some TV station should dig out the Box of Delights and show it.
    If not, I'll just have to watch it on Youtube!

I wonder when the Christmas RTE guide will be out - I usually buy a couple early.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭irishbarb

True Movies 1 and True Ent are playing Christmas films all evening today, not sure if they are any good think I'll check one out with a nice fire and a mug of hot chocolate :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Oooh, I'm going to see what's on! :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

http://www.lupusfilms.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Publicity_Stills_Posing_Final.jpg

Because it's 30 years of The Snowman (by Raymond Briggs) this year, C4 commissioned a sequel. At first it was going to be a revamped and updated version of the classic, now it's going to be a brand new tale which will last 22 minutes with a new song.

Raymond Briggs gave the production his blessing.

[Source Digital Spy]

Can't say I'm too thrilled about his idea! The original was a classic I don't feel the sequel is needed.

Also I wonder how will it end? I don't think I can take another ending like the first one. Too traumatic as a child! haha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭touts

lockie1983 wrote: »

Because it's 30 years of The Snowman (by Raymond Briggs) this year, C4 commissioned a sequel. At first it was going to be a revamped and updated version of the classic, now it's going to be a brand new tale which will last 22 minutes with a new song.

Raymond Briggs gave the production his blessing.

[Source Digital Spy]

Can't say I'm too thrilled about his idea! The original was a classic I don't feel the sequel is needed.

Also I wonder how will it end? I don't think I can take another ending like the first one. Too traumatic as a child! haha

Reading this the question that comes to mind is: Why? 30 years old isn't enough of a reason. I doubt there was much of a public outcry to find out what happened next.

In 30 years time, God willing, I'll be bouncing a grandchild on my knee watching the Snowman on TV (or whatever we will have then). The Snowman 2 will only appear as a tricky answer in a table quiz.

touts wrote: »
    Reading this the question that comes to mind is: Why?

Quick cash in and lack of original ideas by C4 are two answers that spring to mind for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

irishbarb wrote: »
    True Movies 1 and True Ent are playing Christmas films all evening today, not sure if they are any good think I'll check one out with a nice fire and a mug of hot chocolate :)

was very excited to see this over the weekend - I missed most of them due to being in town but caught a couple of evenings ones - made me want to put my tree up.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

When is the Christmas radio station starting up again? Sorry for going off topic. What is the station called again ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Google is my friend:

Barnardos is delighted to be charity partner of Christmas FM, Ireland's only Christmas radio station. Christmas FM runs all through December playing Christmas tunes 24/7. Get into the Christmas spirit and listen online now. You can also tune in to Dublin - 89.9 | Limerick -105.5 | Cork -106.7 | Galway -89.5 | South East -103.8 We are looking for street teams in each city to hand out flyers promoting the radio station on weekdays and weekends in December, please email volunteers@barnardos.ie if you have some time to spare!

I hope they are doing it for 2012 !

Advertisement