Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on Buying an Acer ICONIA Tablet

• 26-09-2012 1:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

Am in the market for a tablet and had been thinking of an Acer Iconia W600. Does anyone have any advice on whether this is a good buy or is there something better out there? Reluctant to go down the route of an iPad.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

windows 7 doesnt work that well on a tablet, depends what you want to do with it (i have one in my desk here part of a shelved development project) make sure it comes with a windows 8 upgrade though (supposed to be more tablet features in that) apart from that it runs windows and has a touch screen an it works, camera front and back not too heavy, nice screen i get the same meh feeling picking up any device, i'd have onw of these to sit front of the telly and surf boards, at least it does everything my laptop does (unlike apple or android tabs) feel solid enough as well

stuck our usual anti virus on it asset tagged and connected it to the network no probs though

its a w500 btw as to a good buy we bought them for a project so just went looking for cheap windows tablets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I don't fancy cutting too many corners on tablet buys. I do have a much richer Samsung Windows tablet. True enough Windows 8 handles much nicer on them for actual productivity.

My advice if you can stand it is to wait until next month when the Windows 8 devices launch.

You should really ask yourself why you're comparing a W600 (an x86 tablet) to an iPad (an ARM tablet). Neither will run the same type of software. If you want an iPad, figure out why. If it's for school, say, I'd reccomend from the current gen hands down a Galaxy Note tab instead. The pen input is the clear winner. My own Samsung tab has the same type of pen tech in it (albeit with better sensitivity), it's a lifesaver.

Advertisement