Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assigning a lease/apartment

• 26-09-2012 1:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

I'm in the middle of buying a house (signing contracts in a couple of weeks hopefully) but I'm also in the middle of a 1 year lease so I need to assign the rest of it to a new tenant. Anyone been through this before and have any advice? I've drafted an email to my landlord telling them what I plan to do (collect the references, deposit, first months rent etc, show the apartment to people and clean it).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭SligoLady

Sounds like you've your head screwed on and are going about things in absolutely the right way. Hardly anyone actually follows through this procedure, tending to just up and leave instead. You've informed your landlord and know what to look for with new tenants so once you've found someone, pass the details on to the landlord for his/her approval and if you've found someone decent I imagine your LL will be quite happy to change the names on the lease. No hassle and no lost money is a generally a winner for landlords. If, however, you find a tenant that the landlord isn't prepared to accept then you are then entitled to just give the appropriate notice in writing to move out and the lease will be finished then.

Oh, I just thought I'd mention that if the names are changed then the tenancy will have to be re-registered with the PRTB with a fee of €90.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

SligoLady wrote: »
    If, however, you find a tenant that the landlord isn't prepared to accept then you are then entitled to just give the appropriate notice in writing to move out and the lease will be finished then.

Not quite. If the landlord refuses to allow you to reassing the lease full stop then you can leave without penalty. However, the landlord is entitled to assess any new tenant by the same criteria they used when assessing the original tenant, and they are in no way obliged to accept the first person the tenant tries to reassign the lease to. If the landlord does not like the look of the new tenant then they are well within their rights to refuse that individual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭orlaanne

SligoLady wrote: »
    Sounds like you've your head screwed on and are going about things in absolutely the right way. Hardly anyone actually follows through this procedure, tending to just up and leave instead. You've informed your landlord and know what to look for with new tenants so once you've found someone, pass the details on to the landlord for his/her approval and if you've found someone decent I imagine your LL will be quite happy to change the names on the lease. No hassle and no lost money is a generally a winner for landlords. If, however, you find a tenant that the landlord isn't prepared to accept then you are then entitled to just give the appropriate notice in writing to move out and the lease will be finished then.

Oh, I just thought I'd mention that if the names are changed then the tenancy will have to be re-registered with the PRTB with a fee of €90.

Do you know who pays that charge?

Also just so I'm clear it's up to the landlord to change the names on the lease, do I have to get the new tenants to sign anything or do I just leave it for them to figure out with the landlord?

Advertisement