Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Removal Gel Nails

• 26-09-2012 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭

Hey nail experts :)

Quick question, is there anyway to remove gels other than filing?

I have about 6-8 weeks growth on my gels as I'm trying to grow them off as opposed to having them filed off as I have had done in the past but found it very sore and nails were in bits afterwards.

I've been told as gels are non porous that acetone won't dissolve them.

So is patience my only option to grow them out?

Been following the nail polish thread and can't wait to paint my nails!

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

I've had gels taken off with acetone before. Still had to do a bit of filing though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I've taken some gel off at home - when I couldn't get an appointment at a salon.

File the top layer of the gel - not to much, the idea is to roughen the surface. Then put a pad soaked with acetone on top and wrap with tin foil. After 10 mins or so, remove the pad and try to scrape off the gel. You may need to repeat. Some stubborn spots may need a little filing, but you should really aim to keep that to a minimum. You don't want to damage your nails.

But a lot depends on the type of gel that you have on your nails. Some stuff soaks off much easier than others. Personally, there are a couple of brands that I will never use again, as they require some filing off instead of a simple soak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

dudara wrote: »
    I've taken some gel off at home - when I couldn't get an appointment at a salon.

File the top layer of the gel - not to much, the idea is to roughen the surface. Then put a pad soaked with acetone on top and wrap with tin foil. After 10 mins or so, remove the pad and try to scrape off the gel. You may need to repeat. Some stubborn spots may need a little filing, but you should really aim to keep that to a minimum. You don't want to damage your nails.

But a lot depends on the type of gel that you have on your nails. Some stuff soaks off much easier than others. Personally, there are a couple of brands that I will never use again, as they require some filing off instead of a simple soak.

Thanks girls :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Older style gels are non porous and can only be filed off.

If it's a hybrid gel you can remove by soaking in acetone.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 x167346

I've always removed my gel nails with acetone with no problems

• Advertisement
Advertisement