Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Non alcoholic drink in a pub?

• 26-09-2012 1:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering what folk buy in a pub if they're not drinking alcohol.
    I don't really drink anything with sugar and not really into ribianna (is that what it's called?) so usually just get water. But if I'm there watching a match or something I feel cheap for not buying anything!
    What drinks can you get that match my criteria?
    No sugar, no alcohol.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

coffee :) mmmm coffee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Just wondering what folk buy in a pub if they're not drinking alcohol. I don't really drink anything with sugar and not really into ribianna (is that what it's called?) so usually just get water. But if I'm there watching a match or something I feel cheap for not buying anything! What drinks can you get that match my criteria? No sugar, no alcohol.

Coffee?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I wouldn't drink soft drinks in a pub really, but J2O? It's sort of halfway between squash and juice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭CWF

Yeah Tea, Coffee or Diet Soda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Non alcoholic beer, or a bottled water

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

I don't really drink anything with sugar and not really into ribianna (is that what it's called?) so usually just get water. But if I'm there watching a match or something I feel cheap for not buying anything!
    No sugar, no alcohol.

If you ask for a glass of tap water and then proceed to watch the match, then you're mooching.

If its ballygowan, etc then its fine.

No sugar, no alcohol: Alcohol free beer. There's plenty of places doing 0% becks. It's not bad actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I dont drink, but go the pub a lot with the mates, Diet coke generally does it but gives you a headache after a while so i move on to soda water and lime which is lovely and refreshing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Sparkling water; manky enough not to drink quickly and just bearable enough to actually drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Hurricane Carter

Sparkling water with a wedge of lime. It's good stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Diet sodas or non alcoholic beers

• Advertisement

Sparkling water with a dash of lime is nice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

sparkling water with a real lime slice squeezed into the water - its lovely. You can get the non-alcoholic beers also, but I don't see the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ping pong

Appletiser maybe?
    It is just apple juice and carbonated water with no sugar added.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Sneak in a pack of Capri Sun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

A single plum, floating in perfume, served in a man's hat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Lucozade - it's manky so it lasts a long time! Used to buy it when I was younger if I was going to the pub to watch a game.

Large bottle of Cidona was also good for longevity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

No sugar, no alcohol.

I drink rum if I don't want to drink alcohol. Mmm, rum. Goes down easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Lucozade but if you're there any length of time your mouth and teeth start to feel horrible. That's when it's my que to head home. Black current isn't bad either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

No sugar, no alcohol.

Cup of tea?
    Coffee?

If you don't want to feel cheap, you can always go for sparkling water, I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Double brandy and ginger ale. Without the brandy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

too many softdrinks can give you a sugar hangover i find, or leave you buzzing at the end of the night, many a time i drank lucozade or coke on nights out and cant sleep after

A single plum, floating in perfume, served in a man's hat.

But he said no alcohol

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭babaracus

Erdinger 0% is not bad as non-alcoholic beers go. Tastes somewhat like a real Weissbier and is 500ml so lasts quite a long time. Wouldn't be mad on the Becks stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Where To wrote: »
    Double brandy and ginger ale. Without the brandy.
    No sugar so he'll have to leave out the ginger ale too.

babaracus wrote: »
    Erdinger 0% is not bad as non-alcoholic beers go. Tastes somewhat like a real Weissbier and is 500ml so lasts quite a long time. Wouldn't be mad on the Becks stuff.

Non-alcoholic beers make Baby Jesus cry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Neewbie_noob

No sugar, no alcohol.

Non alcoholic Erdinger. It's what I drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

mitosis wrote: »
    Non alcoholic beer, or a bottled water

Me too. Either non alcoholic beer or sparkling water

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Orange juice and some white lemonade in a pint glass.

Its sweet so you wont be gulping it down.

There's also the Club Orange with a dash of red lemonade again in a pint glass. Its nice but you wouldnt have more than 3 or 4.

If I was going out for a chat with a mate or even out for a match Id never have a drink of alcohol, I dont like drinking early in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

Non alcoholic brandy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

non alcoholic alcohol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Diet 7up, J20 or diet coke for me. On a low gi diet now so no more booze or J20 for a while:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Confab wrote: »
    Non-alcoholic beers make Baby Jesus cry.

i was given a non-alcoholic erdinger, stuff was so manky i spent the rest of the night drinking tap water. Horrible stuff altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭choons

Milk?

Bottles of beer, bottles don't count as drinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

People asking for coffee? Most pubs I've been in, if you asked for coffee you'd be pointed to the door and told to fuck off out of it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭coconut5

There's clearly a gap in the market for a non-alcoholic, sugarless drink in pubs that isn't water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

Orange juice.

1ZRed wrote: »
    People asking for coffee? Most pubs I've been in, if you asked for coffee you'd be pointed to the door and told to fuck off out of it

Bit harsh

Eh? Not like that in any pubs I frequent, you can get whatever beverage you require.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

They're ball hopping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Drank a few Becks non-alcoholic one night when I was driving and woke up with a bigger headache than most hangovers I'd suffer after 7 or 8 pints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

CWF wrote: »
    Bit harsh
    Nah, these were fairly laddish pubs tbh and they're only taking the piss. You wouldn't last long if you thought that was harsh!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Just to clarify, are we talking about non-alcoholic drinks with?
    1) no sugar
    2) no added sugar.

If the former then pretty much all fruit juices can be discounted. Your choices would then be,

Tea/Coffee: Most pubs (although progressively more difficult to order the later the night)
    Diet Sodas: Every pub
    Sparkling/still water: Every pub
    Non-alco beers: Most pubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Listen, drinking non-alcoholic beer is akin to going down on your sister. Sure it tastes the same but it is so so wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

People won't drink tap water because it's cabby/mooching? What's the world coming to? Who gives a f*ck? If that's what you want, it's fair enough.

I'm saying that presuming you're along with someone who is drinking. If everyone drinks tap water or you're on your own it's not on but along with someone it is fine to just drink water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Have a glass of wine ta fuk. It's practically medicine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Gauss

Have a glass of milk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Gauss wrote: »
    Have a glass of milk.
    Milk is only really palatable if it is ice-cold, i.e needs to be drunk quickly. Not a drink you could sip on over the course of half an hour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

I usually stick to water and a soft drink or two anything else either tastes **** or wrecks my head the day after

Advertisement