Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saying "Thanks" to the bus driver:

• 26-09-2012 2:06pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

Do you say thanks to the driver upon disembarkation? Maybe it's me, but I find it absolutely cringe worthy when people alight from the bus and walk past the driver without acknowledging the driver. I make it my mission to say it every time I pass him.

Do you thank your driver? 875 votes

Yes
    0%
    ufucycufufufuvuf 1 vote
    No
    99%
    Monty - the one and onlySir Digby Chicken CaesarManachD-Generatesixpack's little hatDotsie~tmpDocVictorSte.phenbyteGordonbulletsTurnerStarklivEwirEsuper_furryunkelBeruthielJTManLudo 874 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

No
    This thread's been done a million times recently.

But yeah, I do. It's only polite. I've been in quite a few countries where it's very out of the ordinary to though - I find that weird.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I just say 'That was a most pleasant ride' then smile and exit the contraption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Course I do. Sure, it's his job to get me to a destination safely after I pay a fare, but come on, (a) it's nice to be nice and (b) the crap they have to put up with on a daily basis? Hopefully a little thank you will go some way to offset the gobshytes they deal with :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I say thanks to anyone who has provided me with a service, it's what manners are for!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Slurryface

Do you say thanks to the driver upon disembarkation? Maybe it's me, but I find it absolutely cringe worthy when people alight from the bus and walk past the driver without acknowledging the driver. I make it my mission to say it every time I pass him.
    When they stop charging I will say thanks, until then he/she is only doing what I paid them to do.
    When was the last time a bus driver said thanks to you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

No
    Nice to be nice and all that....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

No
    of course as

manners don't cost anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

No
    Well I don't use the bus very often, but when I do I always say thank you. I was always brought up to say 'please' and 'thank you' - it's basic manners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

No
    I love being thanked, especially with cash :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

No
    I thank him for the music

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Usually don't bother, I doubt they care

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

No
    i do, but thers one wánker that drive the number 4, who quizzes me on where im getting off, little bollox.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

No
    Slurryface wrote: »
    When they stop charging I will say thanks, until then he/she is only doing what I paid them to do.

This morning, around 8.00. He also said bye. Then he said the same to the next person.

HA!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Neewbie_noob

No

Does that mean you don't say thanks to the waiter/waitress/shop assistant etc? It's only pleasant manners. The lady who works in a shop I go to regularly is as rude as the day is long, never once does she say thanks or please or hello etc, but I still make the effort to extend those pleasantries to her.

Where To wrote: »
    I love being thanked, especially with c gash :)

FYP :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I appreciate it when someone says "Thanks" to me for providing them with service, regardless if they paid or not, so I do always thank someone for providing me with a service.

But if they don't, I mumble in my head how much of an ignorant cùnt they are :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

No
    Haven't got a bus for a long time but I always said thanks.

Who cares if they don't directly interact with you: anything that spreads a little courtesy and manners around is OK in my book.

No
    kfallon wrote: »
    I love being thanked, especially with c gash :)

FYP :pac:
    As I say to my passengers on a daily basis, when Topaz start accepting bjs from me for diesel, you can pay me with all the fellatio you want :)

No
    It's been a long time, but yes would always acknowledge and thank the driver.

• Advertisement

As I say to my passengers on a daily basis, when Topaz start accepting bjs from me for diesel, you can pay me with all the fellatio you want :)

Would a finger up the bum cover the charge for extra luggage?!?!? :P

No
    kfallon wrote: »

Would a finger up the bum cover the charge for extra luggage?!?!? :P
    No luggage charges anymore so you can keep the smelly finger to yourself :)

Seriously though, manners are easy carried. I say please and thank you to everyone I deal with, it's not too much to expect the same in return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

No
    Usually don't bother, I doubt they care

Why not? Manners don't cost anything.

Ignorant git

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

No
    I usually stop and sing a few verses of "Hail to the bus driver.." before I get off :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

No
    Yes. It would be weird to just walk off the bus and ignore him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bigwormbundoran

No
    Always do. And if its a longer journey and I bought a paper for it I always offer it to them on the way off rather than just have it thrown in the bin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

So why do Irish people say thanks to the bus driver? is it for opening the doors, or for bringing the bus to a halt at the stop? or for driving the bus?

Whatever the reason, the 'thanks' to the bus driver is unique to Ireland. Personally I might say goodnight, all the best or cheers. I'd be the 1st to say Thank you to somebody for holding a door, or helping with something, or for many reasons, but thanking the bus driver, I don't get it?

No
    LordSutch wrote: »
    So why do Irish people say thanks to the bus driver? is it for opening the doors, or for bringing the bus to a halt at the stop? or for driving the bus?

Whatever the reason, the 'thanks' to the bus driver is unique to Ireland. Personally I might say goodnight, all the best or cheers. I'd be the 1st to say Thank you to somebody for holding a door, or helping with something, or for many reasons, but thanking the bus driver, I don't get it?

Cheers?
    Were you both drinking?

No
    LordSutch wrote: »

I've thanked bus drivers in many other countries and haven't got a strange look so far. See plenty of others doing so also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

No
    Yep always

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

No

I always thank bus drivers, waiters/waitresses (especially waitresses).., I thank shop staff when they give me my change.. if I ask someone to do something in work I always thank them, and likewise I'd normally expect to be thanked when I do something for someone. Whether it's paid for or not has nothing to do with it.

No
    I'm so mannerly, i thank every post i agree with, even if i don't like the poster.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

No
    I always do, its just common courtesy! tough job too so you have to be grateful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Thank fcuk for middle-exit doors!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

I do on Bus Eireann not on Dublin Bus for some reason. Maybe because BE can do the job without a driver change halfway through

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

I always say thanks to anybody who does anything for me. You never know when you'll be at their mercy (Ie. Lost ticket, loose change, etc) and, in all honesty, showing respect gains everything and loses nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

No
    I always say thanks to the bus driver unless he's been rude to me when im getting on or drove like a maniac.

i wouldn't really notice though if somebody didnt say thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Fab phil

It's an Irish thing saying thanks other country's don't say thank you it's just us Irish are a friendly nation of people that's all

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Thank fcuk for middle-exit doors!

Phew, now that's a whole other thread :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Fab phil wrote: »
    It's an Irish thing saying thanks other country's don't say thank you it's just us Irish are a friendly nation of people that's all
    Everybody does it in England anyway.

• Advertisement

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Everybody does it in England anyway.

Now what did I just mention in the previous post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭Chauncey

You implied that the rest of the world is populated by rude, ignorant savages, or something to that effect.

Did I?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭Chauncey

No, but it would have been nice if you did. This thread needs to be spiced up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

No
    I get the bus every day and always say thank you. I think the only time I didn't was to an asshole driver who refused to let me off at my stop and kept going despite me pressing the bell and standing beside him before my stop. He was a knob jockey of the highest order who tried to give out to me as I disembarked. I told him to get fúcked a lodged a complaint after.

But other than that I always say thanks, having worked with the general public i know how far stuff like that can go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

On holidays in the south of france, on the local bus, everybody says thank you and goodbye to the driver when getting off the bus, they shout it from the rear door

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

No
    I do.........as I play with his shirt buttons and then mouth "call me" at him through the windows as he drives away, I think I brighten his day a little :D

Chauncey wrote: »
    No, but it would have been nice if you did. This thread needs to be spiced up.

I have always EXITED through the middle exit doors on buses in England, and the one time that I tried to exit through the front doors (I was new to London) the driver gave me a smart arse comment "Whats the problem mate, can't you exit through the middle doors like everybody else" :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭alroley

No
    I always do :)

Yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sir Pompous Righteousness

I was getting off the bus and was about 50 people getting off at the same time. Some roughian ahead of me tried to catch the bus diver off guard, so everyone's getting off the bus and all you hear is;

"Thanks", "Thank you", "Thanks", "Thanks", "****", "Thanks", "Thank you", "Thanks".

Bus driver didn't notice a think.

• Advertisement
Advertisement