Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering a new desktop...maybe even a DELL (ahem!). Feedback appreciateed.

Options
  • 26-09-2012 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭

If something is built for me - no way can I do it myself - it will have to be at least as good as this.. http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=ie&cs=iedhs1&fb=1&l=en&model_id=xps-8500&oc=d00x8515&s=dhs&vw=icon ...and for a good bit less, since...

a. I get the VAT back.
    b. The taxman will pay for most of it.
    c. I can give DELL hell if anything goes wrong.(nothing ever has gone wrong with any of the three DELLs I've owned.) I don't want to get into a barney with someone who's built one for me.

1. What is your budget? €1200 tops.

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Heavy duty photo editing

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes. I'd like Windows 8.

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? I'd rather not. Will probably give it to somone. It's not a bad machine. See spec below.

5. Do you need a monitor? No.

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Wireless connectivity only and a sound card to connect the speakers I already have.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No.

8. How can you pay? Any way at all.

9. When are you purchasing? No rush. I want to see what's on offer.

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? I'm in South Dublin (14) and have no intention of building it myself.

I'll need three HDs. C: Drive and two separate drives, each 1Tb. 12Gb RAM, preferably 16Gb. Very good graphics card with 2Gb RAM. CD/DVD drive. That's it, I think.

Thanks.

Current machine:

Windows Vista Ultimate (x64) Service Pack 2 (build 6002) Dell Inc. Precision WorkStation T3400
    System Service Tag: 3SFHS3J (support for this PC)
    Chassis Serial Number: 3SFHS3J
    Enclosure Type: Tower
    Processor a Main Circuit Board b
    3.00 gigahertz Intel Core2 Extreme
    64 kilobyte primary memory cache
    12288 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: Dell Inc. 0TP412
    Serial Number: ..CN7082185AJ0H0.
    Bus Clock: 1333 megahertz
    BIOS: Dell Inc. A05 05/09/2008
    Drives Memory Modules c,d
    9501.76 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    2846.11 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDRH20N ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]
    PLDS DVD+-RW DH-16A6S ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]

Maxtor OneTouch USB Device [Hard drive] (1000.20 GB) -- drive 3 SAMSUNG HD204UI ATA Device [Hard drive] (2000.40 GB) -- drive 2 Seagate External USB Device [Hard drive] (2000.40 GB) -- drive 6 Seagate External USB Device [Hard drive] (2000.40 GB) -- drive 4 ST3250310AS [Hard drive] (250.00 GB) -- drive 1, s/n 6RY9MFKR, rev 3.ADA, SMART Status: Healthy WD 2500BEV External USB Device [Hard drive] (250.06 GB) -- drive 5
    WDC WD2001FASS-00W2B0 ATA Device [Hard drive] (2000.40 GB) -- drive 0 8126 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM_1' has 2048 MB (serial number 2432995D)
    Slot 'DIMM_3' has 2048 MB (serial number 2432985A)
    Slot 'DIMM_2' has 2048 MB (serial number 24329987)
    Slot 'DIMM_4' has 2048 MB (serial number 243298A3)
    Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 1) 247.77 GB 50.42 GB free
    d: (NTFS on drive 0) 2000.40 GB 604.36 GB free
    e: (NTFS on drive 2) 2000.40 GB 459.99 GB free
    f: (NTFS on drive 1) 2.15 GB 2.10 GB free
    i: (NTFS on drive 5) 250.06 GB 50 MB free
    j: (NTFS on drive 3) 1000.20 GB 50 MB free
    k: (NTFS on drive 6) 2000.40 GB 674.73 GB free
    l: (NTFS on drive 4) 2000.40 GB 1054.42 GB free
    Network Drives
    None detected

EPSON Stylus Photo R2400 on USB001
    Microsoft Shared Fax Driver on SHRFAX:
    Microsoft XPS Document Writer on XPSPort:
    Controllers Display
    IDE Channel [Controller] (6x)
    Intel(R) ICH9R/DO/DH 6 Port SATA AHCI Controller - 2922 NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700 [Display adapter]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I know you have no intention of building it yourself. But, why? Is it because you don't have the time, or maybe because it just looks scary and complicated? I'm just wonder why you don't want to do it is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Uncle Sam,

Sincerest apologies! I thought I had replied to your response. It seems I didn't.

I don't want to build a computer myself because I don't know the first thing about them. Even if I did, I'm too busy.

I want both the convenience and the comeback of having someone else do it for me.

Apart from DELL are there any other off-the-shelf manufacuturers I should be considering?

I take it no one wants to build me one for a fee?

Thanks.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Dinarius wrote: »
    Uncle Sam,

Sincerest apologies! I thought I had replied to your response. It seems I didn't.

I don't want to build a computer myself because I don't know the first thing about them. Even if I did, I'm too busy.

I want both the convenience and the comeback of having someone else do it for me.

Apart from DELL are there any other off-the-shelf manufacuturers I should be considering?

I take it no one wants to build me one for a fee?

Thanks.

D.

Lads here would do it for a cup of tea and biscuit. It all depends on area and who is near you for that. If you will drop your location I am pretty sure one of us will be near by.

You can pay 20eu to the hardwarevsrsad and they will build it for you too. You will need just to plug in your gpu.

Building yourself is always better then buying from dell m8.

If you know the Goat Pub in Goatstown, Dublin 14. I'm 10 minutes walk, 2 minutes drive - towards city centre. i.e. Half way between the Goat and the back gate to UCD.

Thanks.

D.

I am myself not from Dublin m8, but we got a lot of heads from Dublin here, so I can't really see a problem to find someone to built it for ya or even better - help you build it ( so you can do upgrades or build a pc again yourself I'm the future and don't pay huge premium for low quality components in dells etc )

• Advertisement

Cheers.

What's the typical turnaround time? Presumably, if I want a very high end graphics card, it would have to be ordered? etc...

Thanks.

D.

Cheers.

What's the typical turnaround time? Presumably, if I want a very high end graphics card, it would have to be ordered? etc...

Thanks.

D.

what you mean?

if parts are in stock, they will be shiped asap. if you order something out of stock, then all parts will be held untill that item comes in stock.

Thanks.

I'm obviously asking the wrong question.

I just don't know how it works. I assume, therefore, that all parts are ordered from one source.

What about the OS? I presume DELL have buying power that self-builds don't have. I'd want a kosher copy.

D.

Thanks.

I'm obviously asking the wrong question.

I just don't know how it works. I assume, therefore, that all parts are ordered from one source.

What about the OS? I presume DELL have buying power that self-builds don't have. I'd want a kosher copy.

D.
    right, we got a form. you fill that in with all that info and then some of us will throw a build together. then you can change whatever you thing you need or someone else can come up with better solution.
    you will get links to the parts with exact prices and delivery costs. So you just throw all those parts in to basket and order. all of them will come over to you in a big box. ;)

The ony advantage of Dells, that they include some OS, but that advantage works only for very low budget machines and still not always. you can order OS too.

heres form:

If you want to ask about a new build, please include as much of the following information as possible in your thread:

1. What is your budget? [€xxx]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/3D Modelling/HTPC/Internet] (If gaming include which games)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility)

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City/Cork City/Kerry/etc.]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

You'll also get a better warranties from building your own too . The PC that I built has 3 years on MB, GPU, CPU, 7 years on the PSU and memory has a lifetime warranty. If you want to save a bit on the build for now you can get a preview copy of W8 for free and then pay for it when it comes out in a few weeks. The preview copy is good until January.

• Advertisement

Here's the completed form from my original post....

1. What is your budget? €1200 tops.

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Heavy duty photo editing

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes. I'd like Windows 8.

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? I'd rather not. Will probably give it to somone. It's not a bad machine. See spec below.

5. Do you need a monitor? No.

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Wireless connectivity only and a sound card to connect the speakers I already have.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No.

8. How can you pay? Any way at all.

9. When are you purchasing? No rush. I want to see what's on offer.

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? I'm in South Dublin (14) and have no intention of building it myself.

I'll need three HDs. C: Drive and two separate drives, each 1Tb. At least 12Gb RAM, preferably 16Gb. Very good graphics card with 2Gb RAM. CD/DVD drive. That's it, I think.

Let me know if I need to expand on any of the answers.

Thanks.

D.

Advertisement